PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Intake

r3p00c
11-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Has anyone seen anything around about the mugen intake for our eps that draws air in through the grille? Will the grille and intake fit on US Si's? I'm really interested in getting both the mugen intake and grille, but I haven't been able to dig up any info on it whatsoever. I like the idea of a cold air intake that sucks in from somewhere other than a place where large amounts of water can be drawn in.

Thanks...

dustinhurley
11-18-2002, 09:32 AM
I've done a lot of research on this. As of now, the Mugen airbox does not fit, due the USDM EP being left hand drive and the master cyclinder is in the way. According to King, the grill does not fit either, due to the differences in the JDM bumper. Both parts are in production for the USDM EP right now. When the airbox is released, it should be around $650, and I don't know if it will be carbon fiber or not.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=127412

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/king/projects/civicsi/king_si_11.jpg

silver ep
11-18-2002, 09:38 AM
it should be around $650

Ouch, thats a ton of cash for an intake!

r3p00c
11-18-2002, 09:42 AM
thanks for the great info. My questions have been finally answered. I want a cold-air intake, but I'm worried of the chance of water entering the engine. We get a good amount of rain here every so often, and I wouldn't wanna have a bad case of hydrolock...

speaking of, has anyone heard of a by-pass valve coming out for the aem cold air intake? I REALLY want the injen because of they're proven gains over any others, but theres the issue of water ingestion again...

Gibhunter
11-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Looks similar to the stock airbox. Stoc airbox' air intake tube is just in front of the grill as well (in RSX) and The only difference being that all those parts other than the tube going from the airbox to intake manifold are really restrictive. Looks like Mugen made a mini ram air tube going into the airbox. An elegant solution no doubt, but you gotta wonder what gains will it give.

Ps. For $650 they can shove it up their you know what ;)

silver ep
11-18-2002, 01:06 PM
thanks for the great info. My questions have been finally answered. I want a cold-air intake, but I'm worried of the chance of water entering the engine. We get a good amount of rain here every so often, and I wouldn't wanna have a bad case of hydrolock...

Comtech Icebox is your answer. Its half the cost of the Mugen and probabally has similar hp gains to boot. Plus no chance of hydrolock! Check out http://www.comptechusa.com
for more info. Its not out yet but will be sometime soon.

02blksi
11-18-2002, 03:09 PM
"I've done a lot of research on this. As of now, the Mugen airbox does not fit, due the USDM EP being left hand drive and the master cyclinder is in the way"

Well according to that picture you posted King motorsports US SI they got it to fit just fine! -- how were they able to make it fit, if its not supposed to ????? :confused: --joe ?

r3p00c
11-18-2002, 08:28 PM
Thanks. I'm also looking into the Icebox as well... maybe thats what it will come down to. I'd love to have a mugen intake, but if its going to be $650, f that. I'd cosider it if it was around $200 cheaper, but I can't justify spending that much on an intake (even though it IS mugen... mmm) :p

dustinhurley
11-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Well according to that picture you posted King motorsports US SI they got it to fit just fine! -- how were they able to make it fit, if its not supposed to ????? :confused: --joe ?

The King Si has a prototype design on it. Like I said, the airbox is being designed for the USDM EP right now, it just isn't in full production. Also, they have a DC5-R engine.

I think the biggest differences in the Mugen airbox vs. stock is what is actually inside the box. The stock design has small inlets, and very constricting resonators. The Mugen one is specially designed for maximum aiflow. They wouldn't just empty a stock box, put in a different filter, a bigger duct, add a Mugen logo, and price it that high. I'm sure it has a lot of technology behind it. Still, I don't think it should cost $650, unless the gains are really good.

JSIR
11-18-2002, 09:20 PM
if Comptech doesn't get off their lazy asses I may be forced into getting the Mugen , I need an intake by the time I take my car out of winter storage, as I sold my K&N Typhoon expecting Comptech to have theirs ready by now. dipshits.....

MugenR
11-20-2002, 09:55 AM
I really want the Mugen box, but I am waiting to see if the RSX one will fit. Some say it will, others say it won't.
Does anybody know for sure?
King fit it on there car and it dosen't look to be any problems.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Drew

Rossco
07-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Here is a pic of the Mugen Grille on the Civic Type R.

I am planning to invest in one of these in the very near future - already have the Mugen Airbox.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/p3eb42379dcf54006b015d3d591e6480c/f9373e76.jpg