PDA

View Full Version : What's this cut out and vent for?

FailureToStop
11-18-2002, 10:24 AM
I don't know if it's a cut out or not, but what is that extra round dealie near the shifter for? It's on the panel that the shifter is on and is to the right opposite of the hazard switch. I would think it would be for an option, but there really aren't any options for the EP.

Also, there appears to be vents of some sort on the supports that holds the hatchback shelf. What is that for? I was going to cover that area up with a woofer box, but if the "vents" are for something then that's probably a no go.

myeverlovinsir
11-18-2002, 10:32 AM
I think theyr left this spot for a lighter. jmo. but others
have made mods since to include a start button where the
hazzard switch is, and relocated the hazzard to the other side.
do a search on start button to find more. (think this was bmx) hth

natesi
11-18-2002, 08:14 PM
That's for the dual stage nitrous setup.

BarracksSi
11-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Yup -- push reeeeaaalllyyy hard on it and the nitrous will kick in.

Kidding, kidding...

I also think, but can't confirm, that the extra button-type thing by the shifter is a space for a lighter in other markets. But, that would mean that something else would be changed to make room for an ashtray. It would certainly be handy for an amplifier remote bass knob, though...

The vents in the back, as far as I can guess, are for ventilation TO the outside. The owner's manual only mentions vents that are controlled by the driver, and none of those go to the outside -- only into the car FROM the outside. All that processed air has to go somewhere, and it would make sense for it to go out the back.

FailureToStop
11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
I also think, but can't confirm, that the extra button-type thing by the shifter is a space for a lighter in other markets. But, that would mean that something else would be changed to make room for an ashtray.
I don't think that's it. Check out http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/02si/cigarette.pdf . The cigarette lighter option basically hooks up to the accessory socket in the lower part of the center console. So maybe it is for some sort of turbo/NOS bottle opener/oil slick sprayer (so you can get away from the bad guys) type of deal. :D

It would certainly be handy for an amplifier remote bass knob, though...
I was thinking about the same thing. Except I would use it as a knob for a center channel speaker.

The vents in the back, as far as I can guess, are for ventilation TO the outside. The owner's manual only mentions vents that are controlled by the driver, and none of those go to the outside -- only into the car FROM the outside. All that processed air has to go somewhere, and it would make sense for it to go out the back.
Hmm... somebody from another thread said that this vent was introducing water into their trunk. So it does look like this vent goes directly outside as you say, but the flow goes both ways.

Jpax
11-18-2002, 09:48 PM
the vents in the back are for when you have all the windows in the car up and the sun roof closed, shut the door it shuts good, thats to vent the air when you shut the door. releave cabin pressure ...... or you can use it to mount cross overs :p

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/511/9488/p/105151_1435262407466924510_vl.jpg

BarracksSi
11-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Oh, duh on me, I forgot that the 12V socket even existed -- my cell phone charger has been plugged in there the whole time.

I had though about putting a small-enclosure sub or two back in those corners, but if I do, I'll have to leave reasonable space for those vents. Hopefully not a rain gutter, either. :rolleyes:

BarracksSi
11-19-2002, 06:04 PM

Just found this pic of the preproduction CTR -- notice the knob in what's now the blank space. Is this that damn lighter/accessory outlet? The accessory outlet that's on the current EP doesn't appear to be in this car.

Interesting how much the rest of the center dash was changed, too.

myeverlovinsir
11-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

Just found this pic of the preproduction CTR -- notice the knob in what's now the blank space. Is this that damn lighter/accessory outlet? The accessory outlet that's on the current EP doesn't appear to be in this car.

Interesting how much the rest of the center dash was changed, too.

I would vote to not have this setup. The headunit fan controls
(especially the far right one) would pale to the current locations.
jmo.

FailureToStop
11-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Yah, that's the cut out.

I agree that our current set-up is more ergonomic than what appears in that picture.

But one thing I don't like in the current set-up is the cruise control button. I can't see the button with the way I currently have my set-up (i.e. seat and steering wheel position). I wonder if you could relocate the cruise control button somewhere else...

fyzm7357
11-21-2002, 01:23 AM
I second the cruise control button....I hardly ever see the light when it is on, except for when I'm turning a corner and the steering wheel moves.

MadBeatChemist
11-22-2002, 05:13 AM
I just leave my cruise control button on all the time, as well as the Fog light button which is right next to it. I just never mess with either of them, so I always have my fogs on, when the headlights are on of course, and I can always switch cruise control on easily from the steering wheel because I always have it on.

natesi
11-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by MadBeatChemist
I just leave my cruise control button on all the time, as well as the Fog light button which is right next to it. I just never mess with either of them, so I always have my fogs on, when the headlights are on of course, and I can always switch cruise control on easily from the steering wheel because I always have it on.

Why the HELL did Honda put the button down there? That's damn STUPID.

AthlonDave
12-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Download this PDF and check out page #11.
[URL=http://www.honda.de/pdf/de_car_br_civic_3door_v2_2002.pdf]Brosch

most_hatedSi02
01-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by natesi

Why the HELL did Honda put the button down there? That's damn STUPID.

I second that. It's stupid to put that button there. I myself, leave mine on all the time too, just so I have quicker access to it. Do you have the Honda factory fog lights on your car. I want to get some installed on my car, but I don't know what will fit and what wont...any suggestions?

Dallas2k2Si
01-04-2003, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AthlonDave
[B]Download this PDF and check out page #11.
[URL=http://www.honda.de/pdf/de_car_br_civic_3door_v2_2002.pdf]Brosch

02SiNewbie
01-14-2003, 08:14 AM
that dash looks so much better in black, i want that trendy ass silver out of my car.

JoshSI
01-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
It would certainly be handy for an amplifier remote bass knob, though...

That is exactly what I used mine for. Works and looks great too!!!!