PDA

View Full Version : Hondata and desktop computer

Princess
06-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Do you have to use a laptop computer to gain full potential from your Hondata products or can you get away with using a desktop?

When you are datalogging does that mean you have a laptop in the car while you drive. Or can you get the info using your desktop PC when you get home?

I have a desktop PC but not a laptop. Just wondering if I have to use a laptop or not.

And since we are on the topic, I have the same questions about the Mugen ecu.

kprocivic
06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
if you have a long enough usb cable you can.

Princess
06-15-2008, 06:22 PM
if you have a long enough usb cable you can.

cool !

4angrybadgers
06-15-2008, 06:35 PM
USB cables have a length limit (I can't remember what it is), so keep that in mind.

According to http://www.hondata.com/kprodatalogging.html , you can use the onboard datalogging if your serial # is 4111 or greater (earlier #s require an upgrade). However, the lifespan of the onboard datalogging memory is limited.

civsirmt
06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
usually computer repair stores have used laps top for sale pretty cheap too, i have seen them go for $150 to $350. i paid 300 for mine nice and cleaned out with xp on it.

sleepy_ep
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
just buy an old IBM laptop, so cheap. Ebay or find a computer shop. or look on some computer forums. (I know hella gay, but it could help)

MR.Pizza
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can get by with a less powerful computer but you will see more data reports per second from a faster computer. There was a small issue if you had to many programs running or if your slower computer had CPU power saver or thermal throttle enabled while you datalogged on battery power. You could obtain a greater number of reports per second by turning off unused system resources. Most computers have more than enough power to be very accurate these days though.

j0000stin
06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
im not sure but i believe all you really need is like 500 mb harddrive but it is always better to have a cmoputer with more memory and i suggest a laptop seeing as you can bring it with you anywhere

i work at frys so i think i can get a good deal haha to bad the job sucks frys FTMFL:mcry:

MR.Pizza
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
im not sure but i believe all you really need is like 500 mb harddrive but it is always better to have a cmoputer with more memory and i suggest a laptop seeing as you can bring it with you anywhere

i work at frys so i think i can get a good deal haha to bad the job sucks frys FTMFL:mcry:

I guess it sucks to work there I heard but I love the aliens and stuff.

Princess
06-16-2008, 02:27 AM
...I believe you can get by with a less powerful computer but you will see more data reports per second from a faster computer.
Sounds like my friend's old IBM laptop with Windows 95 might not really do the job then.

... all you really need is like 500 mb harddrive ...
Did you mean 500 gb perhaps?

USB cables have a length limit (I can't remember what it is), so keep that in mind...
That's true, but they have really long USB cables with boosters in them for pretty cheap. Also if you were using a desktop computer in your garage, you could just set up the computer in the passenger seat, using an extension cord to power the computer. No long USB cable needed and no need to buy a laptop.

squeak04si
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
you can get laptops from walmart for as low as $300. it might not be the best but it will do for kpro use.

Civic5lug
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
i'd pay to see someone datalog with a desktop lol

AUTiger
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah I've been trying to find something cheap to get the job done for k-pro. I am wanting to order k-pro in two weeks since I will be away from the car for 2 whole weeks and can send the ecu out while I am gone, I just don't want to carry my computer outside to load up the calibration.

On a side note, does anyone know how much it costs to ship an ecu? since most quotes I am getting are only including return shipping.

skoolnu
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
hahaa... this is good. i use a lap top that belongs to the county sheriffs to run my kpro. i have to get my own soon tho. :mbiggrin:

AUTiger
06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
well since I have been losing all my damn ebay bids for a cheap just to get by laptop. I figure I should be "okay" for a while with just having my desktop computer(in the garage, haha). With the on-board datalogging I can datalog, drive back to the garage and tune, clear it all, then continue the cycle, not ideal, but it should work. Unless I don't understand how it all works, maybe someone with the ability of on-board datalogging could try to explain it better than the hondata website does.

4angrybadgers
06-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Make sure you set a trigger condition for the onboard datalogging, otherwise it'll constantly log data, and that will wear out the memory. (It has a limited lifespan of write cycles.)

The onboard logging doesn't work for me (pre-4111 serial number), so I haven't ever actually played with it myself.

Oh, and speaking of desktop tuning... desperate times call for desperate measures. :mbiggrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/102crew/My%20ride/pimpin%20hatch/jrsc/100_4064.jpg

Civic5lug
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
next on your list shoup be a nice floor jack, oem jacks FTL

liquid cooled
06-24-2008, 05:48 PM
just buy an old IBM laptop, so cheap. Ebay or find a computer shop. or look on some computer forums. (I know hella gay, but it could help)

Get an old ibm t23 2648 (allows a gig of ram the 2647 model doesnt) and call it a day should be like 200-250 bucks.

4angrybadgers
06-25-2008, 05:31 AM
next on your list shoup be a nice floor jack, oem jacks FTL

I do have a Craftsman floor jack... I think I had forgotten to put the car up on the ramps (so the floor jack will fit under the subframe), so I just used the scissor jack to get it high enough for the floor jack.