PDA

View Full Version : Importance of automatic timing retardation?

Kodeen
06-16-2008, 07:35 AM
So the stock ECU can retard the timing if it detects knock, whereas the reflash and Kpro cannot. My question is on a stock a3 with mild bolt-ons, is that all that necessary?

I've been rethinking how much money I want to spend on the car, and bolt-ons + reflash seems like a reasonable path to take, but if that loss of functionality would be an issue then I might just skip the reflash.

4angrybadgers
06-16-2008, 09:02 AM
With a proper tune, I don't think it would be necessary. There are plenty of people with built motors, turbos, etc. putting down lots of power reliably without the stock ECU's timing retardation (that's a funny word :mbiggrin: ). Again, it's all in the tune.

Kodeen
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I guess I should have weighed the question more towards the reflash, since you're stuck with what you get tune-wise.

And I'm guessing that there aren't a lot of reflash people reporting knock, either because they don't have it or (more likely) they don't know about it.

Jpax
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
The Kpro gives you unlimited options for power adders, so if you decide to boost it later on down the road you have the abilty, not only that but kpro doesn't lose it value like some other engine management products, if you pay 1000 bucks for kpro you can sell it to someone else for 1000 or get rid of fast for 900. either way Kpro is beter then reflash

squeak04si
06-16-2008, 02:24 PM
i had full bolt ons, max bore tb, prc manifold, reflash, and never threw a knock.

Civic5lug
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
i had full bolt ons, max bore tb, prc manifold, reflash, and never threw a knock.

What did you use to monitor if you had a knock?

Reflash is impressive but as Jpaxie said, your just limited to their settings.