PDA

View Full Version : CAI or SRI to improve fuel economy?

Pez
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
i was wondering if buying an aftermarket CAI or SRI will increase fuel economy in your car.
i read somewhere in this forum. that people had a decreased in there fuel economy when they got an aftermarket intake. (ie more air=more fuel to mix)
everything about my EP3 is stock and i get around 7.8L/100km (30MPG). i think that's pretty good. But with all this crazy gas prices, i'm driving more conservative and was just wondering if i could improve my fuel economy even more.

Drew1d
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
i was wondering if buying an aftermarket CAI or SRI will increase fuel economy in your car.
i read somewhere in this forum. that people had a decreased in there fuel economy when they got an aftermarket intake. (ie more air=more fuel to mix)
everything about my EP3 is stock and i get around 7.8L/100km (30MPG). i think that's pretty good. But with all this crazy gas prices, i'm driving more conservative and was just wondering if i could improve my fuel economy even more.

I haven't really noticed a difference one way or the other when it comes to MPG. (AEM v2 sri)

4angrybadgers
06-16-2008, 10:45 AM
As with any mod, the efficiency depends on how you drive it. An intake will not appreciably affect your gas mileage either way.

dann_04
06-16-2008, 07:39 PM
i got a k&n dropin filter and saw a couple mpg's from that.Uses a more efficient filter with the stock air box. Intakes are more for high end power and you end up losing a little power in the bottom which accounts for the decreased mpg(you have to rev it higher to get the power you need). Make sure you have iridium plugs ingood condition, shift at 3k, coast a bunch and you should see 32-34mpg from an unmodified engine.

Chazwick05
06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
truth be told, i used to get 28-29 mpg on the highway, never really could break the 30mpg barrier.

after i/rh/e, i average about 33mpg on the highway. i was surprised! but happy :mbiggrin:

AUTiger
06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I just got back from a thousand mile trip over the weekend and with the back seats folded down to stuff all my crap in and the car having an extra 350lbs in it and though it wouldn't be much but I did have my bike on a rack attached to the trunk, I avg. 30mpg @ 75mph. Last week when I had the back seats and spare out I was getting 34-35 mpg highway. This is all with i/rh/e

dashehonda
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Wherever you hear more sound from, is where the intake is robbing the most MPG's (also where the most power is coming from)

CAI sounds great at 5000-redline, and has the most power there, but kills gas obviously that high. SRI has a good mid-range sound so thats where its getting the worst mileage. But anything up towards 5000rpms is gonna kill the mileage. Stock boxes are great all around, but give no power compared to the others unless you gutt it.

CAI's and SRI's produce a more smooth entrance for the air, causing less restriction for the air.

Pez
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
thanks for all the input. lots of info to take in.

4angrybadgers
06-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Wherever you hear more sound from, is where the intake is robbing the most MPG's (also where the most power is coming from)

CAI sounds great at 5000-redline, and has the most power there, but kills gas obviously that high. SRI has a good mid-range sound so thats where its getting the worst mileage. But anything up towards 5000rpms is gonna kill the mileage. Stock boxes are great all around, but give no power compared to the others unless you gutt it.

CAI's and SRI's produce a more smooth entrance for the air, causing less restriction for the air.

WTF are you smoking? :mrolleyes:

The increased sound is because it has less baffling than the stock intake. It's not "killing mileage" at a certain point because of the increased noise. Your statement about a CAI "killing mileage" above 5k kills me... don't go that high if you're concerned about gas mileage.

I'll restate what I said earlier:

As with any mod, the efficiency depends on how you drive it.
If you drive like a damn ricer, then yes, your gas mileage will suck. If you drive like an adult, then an intake won't decrease your mileage.

RollinCivic
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
^ Yes but we all know how that new intake sound makes you always floor the gas pedal:msmile:

As far as better gas mileage? i would say that overall i dont think i lost any gas mileage at all. If anything i think i may have gained 1 or so.
But when you do get a new intake it is going to make you want to put the pedal down a lot more.

blu3 SiR
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
ya man all the gas prices here are crazy!

donkeygong64
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
^ Yes but we all know how that new intake sound makes you always floor the gas pedal:msmile:

i second that. Hard time keeping my foot off the gas pedal to get that orgasmic noise that i love so much :pound:

tech9
06-26-2008, 03:59 PM

where did you get this information from? sound robs mpg?...and more sound does not mean more power...