PDA

View Full Version : A/C Problems

kevjuice
06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a 2002 Civic SI, and the compressor seized up a few weeks ago. Honda said it was just a compressor problem, but before it seized up the compressor would kick on and off constantly, and would go from warm to cold to warm to cold as I shifted into higher RPMs. Somebody said it could be the expansion valve going out, but I thought I would ask here. Any ideas anyone? Also, does anyone know how hard it is to change the expansion valve?

spike 03EP3
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
The system doesn't have a expansion valve, it has a Orfice tube, and I highly doubt that was your problem.

From what you wrote it could be a couple things, but I'm betting it's just a compressor problem. If the compressor starts to go out, it can have problems with consistant pressure, which would cause the compressor to click on and off, and thats why you felt warm and cold air.

Whenever a compressor locks up, I highly recommend to change the Orifice tube and the Acumulator (Dryer) and have the system flushed. I've seen when compressors lock up that they spew junk through out the system and this can clog your orfice tube and cause other problems.

I was ASE certified in automotive A/C for many years, and living in Florida, A/C was my bread and butter every summer.

kevjuice
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I had the compressor replaced (along with the coil and clutch), and now the compressor clicks when it comes on or makes a grinding sound sometimes. Also, when the compressor kicks on, I lose tons of power, it's like I am punching the gas when the compressor turns off and I am pushing on the gas. Any other ideas on what could be wrong?

They said when the pulled off the old compressor that it was full of a dark fluid, the A/C oil, and that was unusual.

If I do have an orfice tube could that cause this to happen? or could there be an error putting on the compressor? Any suggestions?

spike 03EP3
06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Was it a rebuilt compressor? Some rebuilts make that nasty grinding sound, and that's not good, it also could be the clutch and coil wasn't gapped correctly. The bogging down sounds like it might be to tight, like a tight bearing, it might get better over time. I'd take it back because no matter what the problem is, it shouldn't make a grinding noise.

The Orifice tube acts like a cap on top of a can of Lysol, it changes a liquid into a gas which makes the refrigerant cold. It's a non moving part, and the only thing that can make it go bad is if it gets clogged with debris, which shouldn't happen. If your system is blowing cold then the orifice tube is working fine.

Was the system flushed, and did you replace the acumulator? If the oil was dark or brown, the compressor most likely spewed garbage through the system.

kevjuice
06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Is the A/C cold, yes and no. If I am just sitting there at idle, it is pretty cold, but if I start driving it cycles funny and the compressor pulls more hp than it should. I find my car bogging down. The compressor was a brand new compressor from Honda, so it wasn't rebuilt. When they removed the old compressor, the oil that came out was a gray color, should they replace the Orfice tube and the dryer if that is how it looked?

I talked to my mechanic, he said he wanted to replace the orfice tube and dryer, and also vacuum the system completely. As far as gapping the compressor, should that be done before the compressor is installed?

Thanks for all of your help,

Kevin

spike 03EP3
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I talked to my mechanic, he said he wanted to replace the orfice tube and dryer, and also vacuum the system completely. As far as gapping the compressor, should that be done before the compressor is installed?

Thanks for all of your help,

Kevin

The orifice tube and dryer should've been replaced when the new compressor was installed. You can get away without replacing them, but it's not a good idea, so if you have the money, get it done. As far as vacuuming the system goes, it should've been done when the compressor was installed to -29. The system should remain under vacuum for at least 30 minutes, a lot of shops don't do this because they're in a hurry. If the system wasn't put under vacuum and checked for leaks, then your system won't work right and it might cause the compressor extra stress.

The oil that comes out the system should look pretty clean and not cloudly, if the oil was gray, then it's possible the desicant bag inside the acumulator/dryer broke. The clutch and coil should be installed and gapped on the bench, it's hard to screw this part up but it can happen.

Like I said before, anytime a compressor locks up, have the system flushed completely and change the orfice and dryer. Some shops will blow the line clear with compressed air, but it should be done with compressed air and solvent.

Here's a good link to some of your questions.

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/25/

Let me know how it turns out.