PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Weight?

20CiviC02Si
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Well it's time to put the car on a diet. Today i removed the rear seat to shave a couple extra pounds, since i am bumping the car up to SM in auto-x. Now my goal is to balance the car's weight as best as i can, and removing the rear seat does not help this goal. Since the seat removal the car has become front end heavy "Obviously!". I already have a carbon hood installed, so that has been taken care of.

Now the goal is to find a way to shift more weight to the rear to even out the balance. There is some obvious modifications that can be performed to complete this task.

1. Battery Relocation (I have swapped out the stock battery for a Buddy Club Race Batter. So relocating the battery to the rear of the car will only have a minor effect since it only weights 12lbs.)

2. A/C Removal (This will shave approximately 40lbs up front. I think this will be the most effective way to accomplish my goal.)

3. Corner Weight and Balance (Now i am wondering how much of an effect raising the front coilovers up will have on shifting weight to the rear. If you have any insight on this please share!)

Any other ideas?

jtyler05si
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
slide your seat as far back as you can stand it??

rburdios
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
throw the stock 02-03 wheel in the back

Tnhatch03
06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
what is your overall goal?

trying to lose weight, but keep it balanced? don't we have a 40/60 weight distribution?

20CiviC02Si
06-16-2008, 03:12 PM
The overall goal is like you said. Lose weight while maintaining balance throught out the car. Right now it's super front end heavy.

Not sure what the overall balance of a stock EP3 is.... But mine isn't stock. I'd have to throw it up on the scales and find out where it's sitting now.

Windchaser
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I didn't really care about balance. Since the car is FF, I needed it more firmly planted up front. I was more concern with shaving weight for time factor because dealing with the over steer was no problem for me. Body roll, was a problem, but D3 bars took care of that =).

20CiviC02Si
06-17-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm not shooting for 50/50 balance due to the fact that our car is an FF. Which will always have a little more weight up front.

Da90Ls
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I heard a common problem with our cars and the RSX is how far in the strut is on the RCA. I was talking to a guy at a Strictly Honda Speed shop or RSX/EP3 and he said go with a Koni shock in rear and get it re-valved and put 800 spring rates on it. The fronts go with 1k and a non re-valved shock. Ill have to call him and ask him and repost the proper info but I believe thats what he said.

I think he said the reasoning behind that was because the shock being further in it takes more force to compress it. So re-valving it and getting a softer spring than the front will allow it to sink, he also said that that even with that spring rate and the valved shock it will be about even to the front set-up.

The guys name is Chris at Redshift Motorsports (he is the owner) He also has a Type-S that he Auto-X's.

IDK I just woke up so if Im talking completely off topic dont mind me.

liquid cooled
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
You sure its not just your mind playing tricks on you, but how much do the back seats weigh honestly.

20CiviC02Si
06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Definitely not in my mind. I do a lot of research on my car that involve installing/removing modifications to see how it'll effect the car's handling. The rear seat had to be somewhere around 60lbs or more. I don't have a scale to weigh it, however i have heard people say they weigh upwards of 90lbs.

v1c10us
06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
as far as weight balance, If you could i'd go 45/55 because of nose dive when braking.
but I don't think you'll be able to attain that.
Relocation the batter, even if it only weights 12 pounds could be a big deal
if the car only weighed 1012 pounds, putting it in the back would shift the weight distribution by a whole number
I mean, its only half a number for us, but if you're going to be serious about weight distribution, this is how you're going to have to be.
There is no huge thing you can just relocate in the back to instantly have great distribution or anything, its a bunch of tiny things that count.

Removing the glove box is about 7 pounds
the floor mats from the front but not the back would be about 8 pounds
and now you're looking at an entire point of weight removed from the front including the battery relocation, bringing you that much closer to what ever you're goal is.

adjusting the height of the car wont effect how much it weighs on a scale, or the distribution of it because it is sitting on the wheels, and unless you can adjust the springs enough to take weight off of the wheels, the weight will always be the same.
However; raising the front and lowering the back would help you during hard braking into a corner but then you'd be really fucked when you tried to accelerate out of the turn, so i guess I don't know enough about that to be of any real help =\

20CiviC02Si
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the input. I think that the glove box will remain within the car. However i have tinkered with the idea of removing the passenger side airbag. Rarely does my passenger seat get used, so im considering it.

The A/C System will prolly be getting pulled out on Tuesday or Wednesday. It'll give me something to do to enjoy my days off of work!

Other than that if you guys have any other input please add to this thread! Thanks to everyone that has already!

na14yu
06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
what is your overall goal?

trying to lose weight, but keep it balanced? don't we have a 40/60 weight distribution?

Factory weight distribution is 61/39