PDA

View Full Version : What the heck!!!!

sonic imperial
11-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Man, I got a call at work from my mom and she said I left about a 9-inch puddle of oil in the driveway. I just got the first oil change on saturday by the honda dealership and haven't driven the car since. I ran outside a minute ago and sure enough there is more oil on the pavement here at work. I'm pissed, now I got to take it back this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I checked the level and it's still ok, but it has lost some since I checked it when I first brought it home. That really iritates me.

greenguy
11-18-2002, 12:21 PM
Gasoline and powderd laundry detergent will clean (scrub with an out side broom) that up in a snap! also makes great napalm!:D

jaydub
11-18-2002, 12:24 PM
:sigh: that's why I change my own oil... I've heard too many horror stories.

sonic imperial
11-18-2002, 12:34 PM
I've been taking my hondas there for the last 4 years and this is the first problem I've ever had with an oil change. I guess they just didn't do something right with the oil filter. I can't even see the filter, how do you get to it?

02blksi
11-18-2002, 03:22 PM
either the filter or the drain plug. anyways take it back and bitch, try to get some free oil change tickets or a gift certificate for free oil and filter (so that you can do it yourself :) ) --Joe who also changes the oil himself ..

pocketrocket
11-18-2002, 03:44 PM
In another thread, people have been saying 2 things have been causing oil leaks. #1 - Wrong filter size. #2 - Leaving the old O-Ring on the block and then installing the new filter with another O-ring.
Hope that helps.
-PR

Drastik_Si
11-18-2002, 03:48 PM
thats why its best to ge down and dirty and change your own oil

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2002, 04:15 PM
crazy:eek:

capt_shrimp
11-18-2002, 04:50 PM
definetly bitch and get some free goods out of it.:D

peace

Mechanic
11-18-2002, 05:25 PM
"Puddle"? If you and mom really found a "puddle" of oil -- which I define as standing oil -- as opposed to just a stain on the driveway that spread out -- then, hopefully before you start your engine, you'll find out where that leak came from. My recommendation is that you jack the car up, put something substantial under the car (a jackstand would be best, of course), and then look for the source of the leak.

I doubt that it's coming from the oil pan plug. Even if the tech used the same washer (really dumb, but it happens), a leak there rarely results in more than a few drops at a time.

It's more likely your shop installed the wrong filter. Installing the old style filter is really risky. The base of the old-style filter will barely cover the mounting base on the engine. (Stated differently, the filter base is larger than the mounting point on the engine.) If the tech then overtights the (wrong) filter, the rubber gasket can easily be pushed over the lip of mounting base resulting in a genuine leak. Were it my car, I wouldn't go anywhere near the ignition key again before I knew exactly where the oil is coming from. Oil is the life's blood of your engine. The fact that you can see oil on the dipstick doesn't mean it reaching the bearings if the filter is leaking.

myeverlovinsir
11-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Dude, its your tranny oil plug, that damn thing was leaking on
me too. Honda does not tighten these down properly. (I should say
Honda Swingdon.) After
1000K I saw it was leaking. Just fill it up. and
put extra torque on the drain plug. Check it again after 1000K

hth

natesi
11-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Let us know what it was and what they do about it please.

Gibhunter
11-18-2002, 06:22 PM
It happened to me with my RSX. Turns out, when they drain oil, some of that sits in a metal bar (don't know it's name) underneath the engine. When you drive it homeit's still there and when you park it will start to drip out. Bitch out your dealer as it is the lasy ass mechanic's fault that he didn't clean it up. I was pissed when my brand new car covered my parking spot in oil. I'm not driving a 79 Impala to have to put up with this shit;)

Hondatech
11-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Turns out, when they drain oil, some of that sits in a metal bar (don't know it's name) underneath the engine

We've had a lot of this with the new CR-V. Part of the engine sub-frame sits right under the oil filter. When the filter is pulled off, oil pools up INSIDE this part of the subframe (it's hollow) and slowly oozes out over the next week. Looks just like an engine oil leak. Which isn't to say get your checked right away, but it's something to look for ;)

I've made up a shield out of an old 4 liter coolant jug that slips over the subframe and keeps oil out of it.

Mechanic
11-19-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Hondatech

We've had a lot of this with the new CR-V. Part of the engine sub-frame sits right under the oil filter. When the filter is pulled off, oil pools up INSIDE this part of the subframe (it's hollow) and slowly oozes out over the next week. Looks just like an engine oil leak. Which isn't to say get your checked right away, but it's something to look for ;)

I'll buy that. Hondatech, you bring a lot of insight to this webpage.

sonic imperial
11-19-2002, 07:30 AM
Ya'll are gonna kill me but I went home and looked and sure there was a good bit of oil but it was "old" oil from where they changed the filter and made a mess. I never took it to honda because I went out and cranked it up after work and could see clean around the filter if you get in the right place and it was dry as a bone. The honda tech must have let a good bit of oil run out the filter onto the car because it was still dripping some when I got home but I cleaned it all up and not a single drip overnight. There was just a ton of excess but glad I didn't embarass myself by taking it in only to find out there wasn't a problem. Sorry for the mistake, my mom was just trying to look out for me but she exaggerated on the amount that was actually on the garage floor. Regardless, hopefully other people may have learned some good tips form this thread.