PDA

View Full Version : Larger piping required for deep tone?

silver hatch
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I was thinking of getting just an axle back because I don't want a loud exhaust. I Just want a different looking muffler with a bit more growl, but was wondering if I would need bigger piping with a resonator in order to get that "deep tone" that everyone is after, or if just an axle back can do it.

note: the axle back has an n1 style muffler like the hks with a 2-1/4" i.d.

j0000stin
06-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I was thinking of getting just an axle back because I don't want a loud exhaust. I Just want a different looking muffler with a bit more growl, but was wondering if I would need bigger piping with a resonator in order to get that "deep tone" that everyone is after, or if just an axle back can do it.

note: the axle back has an n1 style muffler like the hks with a 2-1/4" i.d.

think of it like this the bigger the canister the quieter the exhaust if your looking for a deep tone i say magnaflow

4angrybadgers
06-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Bigger piping does not equal deeper tone throughout the entire RPM range. A 70mm exhaust (like my Skunk2 70mm) can sound deep close to idle, but get it up above 4k and it's pretty raspy and high-pitched. It all depends on what resonators/mufflers you have on the exhaust.

think of it like this the bigger the canister the quieter the exhaust if your looking for a deep tone i say magnaflow

:puke: Magnaflow sounds like shit...

pynikal
06-17-2008, 05:37 AM
keep in mind as well that the larger pipe that you get the more you lose torque. i think 2.5 is about the best for ower engines for an NA app. chime in if im wrong here.

phister
06-17-2008, 06:39 AM
2.5" is good if you dont have alot of performance mods on your car. But if you have cams, valve train, pistons, etc. you can do 3". With NA you want to have some backpressure unlike boosted cars.

NrGiNnY14
06-17-2008, 07:16 AM
if u want a deep tone, look into the spoon n1 with t1r midpipe, or the buddy club prospec, both are low tone but loud

4angrybadgers
06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
2.5" is good if you dont have alot of performance mods on your car. But if you have cams, valve train, pistons, etc. you can do 3". With NA you want to have some backpressure unlike boosted cars.

The rule of thumb is 1" per 100hp. As for backpressure, it's not as simple as FI vs NA. Read and be enlightened. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45022&highlight=backpressure

jtyler05si
06-17-2008, 10:47 AM
ooohh, that was a good read

the JigGa mAn
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
i have dcrh/2.5" midpipe/stock axel back...check out my member rides thread for video

silver hatch
06-17-2008, 11:10 PM
So, if I kept on the stock mid pipe and resonator with an axle back that had an n1 style muffler, It should have a nice tone and not sound raspy?

rtc975
06-18-2008, 05:14 AM
thats what i have currently and it is not too loud, plenty deep and doesn't sound raspy at all through the revs.

v1c10us
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
the longer and bigger the piping the deeper the tone.
Of course this is dependent on the flow in the pipe, if anyone has ever played a wind instrument they know that the harder you blow the higher the note..

pynikal
06-19-2008, 05:34 AM
the longer and bigger the piping the deeper the tone.
Of course this is dependent on the flow in the pipe, if anyone has ever played a wind instrument they know that the harder you blow the higher the note..

ie tuba low
trumpet high

never thought of that before.

supercivician
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Bigger piping does not equal deeper tone throughout the entire RPM range. A 70mm exhaust (like my Skunk2 70mm) can sound deep close to idle, but get it up above 4k and it's pretty raspy and high-pitched. It all depends on what resonators/mufflers you have on the exhaust.

:puke: Magnaflow sounds like shit...

i have the skunk2 70mm and its so loud that i cant hear my system. i have a 12" rockford p2 sub with 4 alpine speakers.

v1c10us
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
ie tuba low
trumpet high

never thought of that before.

exactly.
a frequency bounces around in a large chamber and slows down, lowering its wavelength and thus deepening the note.

pynikal
06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
The rule of thumb is 1" per 100hp. As for backpressure, it's not as simple as FI vs NA. Read and be enlightened. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45022&highlight=backpressure

if you went by the link while reading. do your self a favor click the link now.

but have some advil handy......my head hurts now.