PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge NOT WORKING!!!

clujalolo
06-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Ok so i come to pick my car from a friends house cus i went with his out, and i get to my car and start the car, the car starts fine, nothing unusual and then i noticed that the gas gauge didnt even move from the position it stays in when the car is off. And i had more than half a tank.

so i started to freak out, i though someone stole gas from my tank but i went to a gas station and put 20$ of gas and the gauge didnt even move. The car drives normal starts normal, i know when iwas low on gas before the car would have a little trouble starting but it has no problems so im 100% something went wrong with the gauge.

HOW CAN I FIX this, now i have to keep an eye on my odometer and make sure i dont pass a certain amount of KM's or else im out of gas lol.

dann_04
06-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Sounds like maybe a bad sending unit? Check the to of your tank and make sure all of the wires are there/hooked up/getting voltage. You can find out how to get to it by looking in the service manual(do a search its here for download) i think you just take off the bottom part of the back seat and its there.

ivtec_do_u
06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
My car has been doing this as well. I will throw 40 bucks in (fill up), and the gauge will sit below the 1/2 tank mark. After awhile it goes back to full, but it usually takes 30 min. or so.

clujalolo
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
yeh i was looking last night through the ep3 manual which i downloaded from here.

So today i was coming home from work, and my gas gauge moved ever so slightly above the red line and the warning gas light turned off. but then it just went back down. So im gonna go check all the wires. you think resetting the ECU will help?

dann_04
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
couldn't hurt anything

davisj3537
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
You could have gotten some trash in the tank and it got lodged in the gas level meter? Check that after checking the wiring.

clujalolo
06-18-2008, 07:32 PM
You could have gotten some trash in the tank and it got lodged in the gas level meter? Check that after checking the wiring.

so i know my way pretty well around the engine but i have no idea how to get to this gas level meter you speak of. and how do i check the wires lol

can i access any of these from under the rear seat where the fuel pump is?

dann_04
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
The whole assembly is connected to the fuel pump in the tank(pump, sending unit, filter). search around for the fuel filter diy, it had pics and all, otherwise check your service manual for fuel filter replacement as it should tell you how to remove the assembly.

clujalolo
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
i shall do so when i have time :P lol, ill probably get to it saturday its not big rush. But thanks ill take a look and see if that fixes it.

frm_808
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM
a while back i looked up TSB's for our car. only thing i found was the fuel gauge not functioning correctly. take it to the dealer for warranty work

clujalolo
06-20-2008, 07:33 PM
a while back i looked up TSB's for our car. only thing i found was the fuel gauge not functioning correctly. take it to the dealer for warranty work

i wish i was still under warranty :(( looks like im gonna have to use the odometer to calculate my gas LOL im gonna figure this out. ill fix it, somehow

clujalolo
06-22-2008, 11:48 PM
ok so i didnt drive my car for 2 days and i just got back into my car and i noticed that my gas gauge was like at half, ( about how much gas i have) but i then noticed that it started to slowing move all the way back down to E then below E this all happens within 10 mins of driving.

I didnt have time this week to fix it but can anyone else think what i could be like 100% sure. im thinking it could be a dirty filter OR wires are loose or something like that

Bificus
06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Try some techron or something like it and see if it helps. May be buildup of sulphur on the sending unit. Cant hurt to try.

wil524
06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Umm....some of the wires that run to the fuel tank is actually under your rear seat cushion. There is actually a cover under the seat, it's worth a shot seeing if anything is loose back there.

03hondacivicep3
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
same problem i had it the float i just replaced the fuel pump ass. and it was working the min i started the car

clujalolo
07-02-2008, 06:11 AM
same problem i had it the float i just replaced the fuel pump ass. and it was working the min i started the car

ooo really, and which did you replace, cus i took off the that metal cover and then i believe i saw the fuel pump, with two wires hooked up to it, i disconnected both, one was full of fuel and the other was just a wire......it still doesnt work, how much was it to replace?

talonXracer
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Sounds like an issue with the sender unit/float. I have seen/heard of the contacts on the sender developing some deposits on the contacts and working intermittantly. This usually happens when the tank is kept at lower than a halftank the majority of the time.

thechromecoyote
07-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Sounds like an issue with the sender unit/float. I have seen/heard of the contacts on the sender developing some deposits on the contacts and working intermittantly. This usually happens when the tank is kept at lower than a halftank the majority of the time.

that would explain why my gas gauge stopped working correctely... :peace:

I only ever fill up just over half a tank, so Im below 1/2 most of the time.

Someone mentioned a TSB, anyone got a link to a website with all the TSB's listed? I want to just point to it when I bring it in for warranty work.

talonXracer
07-02-2008, 07:03 AM
http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/2002-honda-civic-si-l4-1998cc-2_0l-dohc-i-vtec-pgm-fi.html

thechromecoyote
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
thanks! How do I get detailed descriptions without paying for a service? Just ask the dealer to pull them?

Bificus
07-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the TSB list Doug!

clujalolo
07-02-2008, 03:29 PM

awww dang, really, cus ever since gas prices have gone up, i dont really fill up, so it was usually below half.

mikebigh
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
ooo really, and which did you replace, cus i took off the that metal cover and then i believe i saw the fuel pump, with two wires hooked up to it, i disconnected both, one was full of fuel and the other was just a wire......it still doesnt work, how much was it to replace?

ground the hot wire to the sending unit. while doing so watch the guage, if it spikes all the way up(full) your sending unit is bad, replace it. If not, test to make sure proper current goes to the guage(newer cars really dont have this problem).

klik
07-05-2008, 04:30 PM
i have the same problem, its been a year and i have never have time to fix it hehehe. I rely on my odometer for gas fillups:mbiggrin:

blksi02
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I would personally take out the fuel pump and see if the bobber is stuck.

clujalolo
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
alright so i took the fuel pump half out lol, i open the part where the fuel pump is under the seat, i take the top part out and it has wires connecting to this big long john donut shape thinging ma bob .....no idea what the hell that thing is. its got like 3 wires going to it, it seems to big to take out, my question is where the hell is the floater thing. one of my friends told me to take out the floater u need to go from underneath the car near the drivers seat (underneath) is this true....someone wanna point me in the direction on how to remove the floater cus im stumped and i searched the ep3 manual and can't seem to find exactly what im looking for.

jerseyjew
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Just a quick question, but do you ever fill your car up with gas while the car is still running or the key is on? If so, you need to stop doing that! As a result you can get false readings from your gauge. I would try disconnecting the battery negative for about 5 minutes (if you haven't already done so)

clujalolo
07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Just a quick question, but do you ever fill your car up with gas while the car is still running or the key is on? If so, you need to stop doing that! As a result you can get false readings from your gauge. I would try disconnecting the battery negative for about 5 minutes (if you haven't already done so)

hmmm, well i only did a few times, but only when the key was in the on postion never when the car was on. ill go try right now to disconnect the battery, im get the code for the radio and do it right now.

jh604
07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
damn still messed up? =[

clujalolo
07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
damn still messed up? =[

yeh its pretty gay.

So i took the battery off, for 5 mins and still nothing. ARG this is annoying, im just too scared to fully take the fuel pump out cus i ALWAYs break something really small but something very important. SOMEONE give me a site or something a DIY so i can fix this thing.

frm_808
07-08-2008, 01:21 AM
i htink mine is starting to act up, its just a little slow. ill have a 1/4 tank of guess when i park and b4 i turn off the car. and when i turn it back on it reads low almost to the light comes on

clujalolo
07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
bump........Anybody?

klik
07-11-2008, 06:56 AM
just take it to the shop, i got mine fix for 50 bux.

clujalolo
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
just take it to the shop, i got mine fix for 50 bux.

ooo dang really that cheap. but i really wanted to do it myself, but oh well looks like to shop i must go.

klik
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
ooo dang really that cheap. but i really wanted to do it myself, but oh well looks like to shop i must go.

All the the work in my ep3 was done by me from ground up, but this time i got lazy and got so busy at work that i dont have time to play with the ep no more. So a shop will do for this simple problems.