PDA

View Full Version : Replacing SRS Control Unit

Civilian
06-17-2008, 07:03 AM
My SRS Control Unit has apparently failed. The car is no longer under warranty. My dealership tells me I'm looking at $300 in labor to install plus another $300 for the part.

Can anyone here give me instructions (preferably with pics) on how to replace the unit?

Thanks.

heyvortek
06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
srs is for the airbags..i thnk..so unless u really scared about getting into a crash..hopefully not...i didnt bother to get it fixd...had the same problem...no warranty...other ppl mite have better opinion

Oxygen
06-17-2008, 12:35 PM
In the service manual (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633), it is on page 23-122. The procedure does not look too bad, but I am not familiar with it beyond what is on paper, so maybe someone else will chime in about that.

Majestic Honda has the part for $216 (for non-side airbags) and $262.50 (side airbags)

Part numbers:
77960-S5T-A83 (if your car does not have side air bags)
77960-S5T-A93 (if your car does have side air bags)

The only hiccup I can see is the step where it says to initialize the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) Unit since that seems to need a Honda tool for. You might be able to replicate the procedure without the tool or get the dealer just to do that part if necessary.

El Mocha King
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont know about anybody else, but I received a letter in the mail from Honda saying that the SRS control unit failure is a know issue and that they will replace it for free. It also came with refund paperwork to fill out so you could be reimbursed if you had already fixed the issue and had to pay for it.

I actually need to get mine replaced as well, and I'm going to take my car in this week and see if they will fix me up. When I get home I will post up the verbage of the letter and let you know what happens when I take the car in.

Civilian
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM
El Mocha,

That's very interesting information. When did you get the letter?

El Mocha King
06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
El Mocha,

That's very interesting information. When did you get the letter?

It came directly from Honda Motor Co. I get home in about 2 hours. I will try and get the whole letter posted up when I get there. I'm also going to call my local dealer and see if they will do the work. I dont see why they wouldn't. I'll get more info and post back up when i can.

-Bob-