PDA

View Full Version : No Sound!!!!

EP3driver
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
I installed new Infinity reference speakers and they sounded fine with the OEM HU until this afternoon. WHen I started the car, there wass no sound from the radio! As I turn it on and off I hear a "low clap" from the driver's side speaker. Nothing else. I checked the radio fuse and it is fine. Are my speakers toast or the HU toast? any ideas? I am about to pull off the panel. It was fine all week until now...

EP3driver
06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
I installed new Infinity reference speakers and they sounded fine with the OEM HU until this afternoon. WHen I started the car, there wass no sound from the radio! As I turn it on and off I hear a "low clap" from the driver's side speaker. Nothing else. I checked the radio fuse and it is fine. Are my speakers toast or the HU toast? any ideas? I am about to pull off the panel. It was fine all week until now...

Well, I was able to fix it after taking off the panel. I diagnosed it in less than a minute. Anyone wants to guess what the problem was?

Chad
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Speaker lead grounded to the sheet metal?

EP3driver
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Speaker lead grounded to the sheet metal?

Excellent! That is exactly what is was. Somehow during a week after the install the speaker shifted a centimeter, enough to make contact. I inverted the speaker's position with the leads at the 12 o'clock position and far from any contact. No problem now.

Chad
06-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Excellent! That is exactly what is was. Somehow during a week after the install the speaker shifted a centimeter, enough to make contact. I inverted the speaker's position with the leads at the 12 o'clock position and far from any contact. No problem now.

And that will even happen with the (-) speaker wire that's often misunderstood as "ground" :mwink:

The thump you were talking about gave it away :mbiggrin:

shanewdude
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
:hail: Chad

2004ep3hatch
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
That's right to me! kinda sounds like a record popping right? I was never a fan of running anything speakerwise aftermarket with stock headunit anyways. the stock radio just puts out maybe 6 wats continue power. i might be wrong but i don't think so.