PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Brakes

Acidburn
11-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Does anybody know if Brembo makes a brake system for our cars? Caliphers, disc, etc. I was on their website, and put in our model and year and it said nothing was available. I thought someone here already put front brembo brakes on.

DocofMind
11-18-2002, 04:02 PM
DOOD, have you been sleeping or smoking? ;)

Dont bother wasting your money on the brembos, get them for your Z instead :)

They do have a fitment for the Ep but its too expensive and too heavy. The kit i used on Speedracers car (which is the same that on my S2K) is a 4 piston caliper that works in conjunction with a 2 piece 12.2 inch rotor. All in all, saving you over 15 pounds of unsprung weight and providing you with more braking power than you will ever need.

I also got a new caliper that works in this kit which is a forged 4 piston. The forging process as im sure you know is a far more rigid and structurally sound design. Currently, i am running the old design (billet) and have been for quite some time now. I havnt been able to test the limits on these with the S2000, i cant even imagine how much further that limit will be with the new forged design.

I am also using a new rotor design which is a directionally veined rotor for additional cooling. The rotors are also available in any design you like, drilled, slotted or a combo of both. Let me see if i can find you some pics

nikkotyper
11-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind

They do have a fitment for the Ep but its too expensive and too heavy. The kit i used on Speedracers car (which is the same that on my S2K) is a 4 piston caliper that works in conjunction with a 2 piece 12.2 inch rotor. All in all, saving you over 15 pounds of unsprung weight and providing you with more braking power than you will ever need.

I also got a new caliper that works in this kit which is a forged 4 piston. The forging process as im sure you know is a far more rigid and structurally sound design. Currently, i am running the old design (billet) and have been for quite some time now. I havnt been able to test the limits on these with the S2000, i cant even imagine how much further that limit will be with the new forged design.

I am also using a new rotor design which is a directionally veined rotor for additional cooling. The rotors are also available in any design you like, drilled, slotted or a combo of both. Let me see if i can find you some pics

Who manufactures the kits you talk about?
I need better rotors that work in conjunction with stock calipers and I need to retain the ability to use 15" wheels.

Acidburn
11-18-2002, 04:16 PM

Hah, the 350 Z already came with it! lol...can you give me more info on these brakes? Honestly, I don't like the brakes on the new Si's.

DocofMind
11-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper

Who manufactures the kits you talk about?
I need better rotors that work in conjunction with stock calipers and I need to retain the ability to use 15" wheels.

I manufacture my own stuff. All done in house. Unfortunately though, you will need minimum of a 16 inch wheel to fit these larger brakes.

Only thing you can really do is upgrade to a better factory sized rotor. You could go with a drilled or slotted rotor. all of which can be cadmium plated for corrossive purposes.

xlr8
11-18-2002, 04:40 PM
how much would one of these systems cost?

Acidburn
11-18-2002, 04:41 PM

I manufacture my own stuff. All done in house. Unfortunately though, you will need minimum of a 16 inch wheel to fit these larger brakes.

Only thing you can really do is upgrade to a better factory sized rotor. You could go with a drilled or slotted rotor. all of which can be cadmium plated for corrossive purposes.

How much $$?

DocofMind
11-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Im trying get photos up but my stupid MAC is not cooperating. Ill get them up when i get home later.

Well, basically, there are a few different ways of going about it. Depending on what you set up you want to go with. Basically, the kit starts at $750 for the entire front conversion. That includes everything you need to change the front system over without the need for anything additional unlike the Brembo kits which require a proportioning valve to balnce the car. Comes with 2 forged calipers, 2 anodized hats, 2 rotors, anodized brackets, Goodridge stainless lines, EBC greenstuff pads, and aircraft quality hardware.

On top of the basic kit, you have the option of adding slotted rotors, drilled rotors, or a combination of both drills and slot. $65 additional for one of the above, and 85 additional for both.

The piston diameters on my stuff are matched to hondas master cylinder for a perfect correlation.

I will also have a rear upgrade soon as well which will incorporate a larger 2 piece rotor.

DocofMind
11-18-2002, 09:21 PM
Here is what the kit looks like under an 18 inch wheel. Keep in mind, this WILL fit under a 16 inch wheel, i m running my CE28s right now which are 16s

This is also teh original billet style. My forged ones are still being painted so i have not installed them yet. I cant install them on the EP yet either because im still waiting on my damn wheels. If you guys have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask away. As i have said before, i will be doing a step by step so everyone can see how easy it really is.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p0cecd27c2fcab37d6cf19837c6d42a59/fd079d4c.jpg

DocofMind
11-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Here is one without the wheel. Keep in mind as well, that you can order something very similar like this direct from Wilwood. They WONT be giving you and EBC pads. They WONT be giving you Goodridge lines. They also WONT be giving you the FORGED caliper or the directionally veined rotor :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/pfc8d55914245fb97bd331593322918de/fd079e12.jpg

myeverlovinsir
11-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Yep. Nice setup, I think 16s are so sweet. All the meat and not
so much torque loss.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p0cecd27c2fcab37d6cf19837c6d42a59/fd079d4c.jpg

nikkotyper
11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
EBC pads are not so good pads. . . Can your equipment use other pads or they are custom tailored for the EBC?
Also, do you use the willwood calipers like on the picture or something else?

Give us an example system (complete specs - as detailed as you can get...)

DocofMind
11-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper
EBC pads are not so good pads. . . Can your equipment use other pads or they are custom tailored for the EBC?
Also, do you use the willwood calipers like on the picture or something else?

Give us an example system (complete specs - as detailed as you can get...)

First of all, the caliper i am using is NOT the one pictured above. If you read what i wrote, you will notice that that is the old design. Its a Billet piece. The new design is Forged. It is a 4 piston caliper that only ways about 2.5 pounds.

The beauty of this caliper is the fact that almost every brake pad manufacturer makes pads for this caliper. Its the most commonly used pad in racing. Off the top of my head i can atleast think of 15 different compounds available. Everything from Hawk, to Portefield, Raybestos.

how familiar are you with EBC's? Did you know they have a new compound? I was one of the first to sell them when they first came here 7 years ago. I used about 10 sets and every single one warped the rotors.
About a year ago they redesigned their pad and began to use more exotic materials. The outcome, what it should have been in the first place. Its an absolutely street friendly pad that doesnt make any noise or any dust and performs very much like the OEM pads. The OEM Sumitomo pads in my opinion are some of the best pads in the world.
In addition to not dusting or making any noise, they are more fade resistant than the stockers. They also do not need to be heated up to work properly.

I honestly think that these pads are more than sufficient for most people. Because of the increase in performance the actual system gains, super sticky track pads are really not needed. But for those who demand to have track pads, you will be happy to know that the pads can be changed in less than 10 minutes per side. Its just a cotter pin. The calipers also include hardware to keep the pad from moving around and causing noise like many race systems do.

I ll take some pics and give you some specs

DocofMind
11-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Here is a quick pic of the set up. Everything is identical to this set expect for the hat. It is a little different and also has a different bolt pattern

The rotors are 2 piece with the hats being safety wired to the rotor. They are 12.2 inches in diamater and are .81 inches thick.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p51cbcff1c7fc2f52e13e24f9a624c772/fd06c066.jpg

I ll have pics of them on my car as soon as the paint on my own set cures.

Acidburn
11-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Yea I wanna check out your ride. Hey Doc, are you going to the meet this sat @ the block in OC?

DocofMind
11-19-2002, 03:07 PM
What time is the meet. I have to work on a few more projects, sat mornings are my only time.

Where do you live? You are more than welcome to come by my shop or meet somewhere else and shoot through some canyons if your up for it.

nikkotyper
11-19-2002, 07:54 PM

First of all, the caliper i am using is NOT the one pictured above. If you read what i wrote, you will notice that that is the old design. Its a Billet piece. The new design is Forged. It is a 4 piston caliper that only ways about 2.5 pounds.

The beauty of this caliper is the fact that almost every brake pad manufacturer makes pads for this caliper. Its the most commonly used pad in racing. Off the top of my head i can atleast think of 15 different compounds available. Everything from Hawk, to Portefield, Raybestos.

how familiar are you with EBC's? Did you know they have a new compound? I was one of the first to sell them when they first came here 7 years ago. I used about 10 sets and every single one warped the rotors.
About a year ago they redesigned their pad and began to use more exotic materials. The outcome, what it should have been in the first place. Its an absolutely street friendly pad that doesnt make any noise or any dust and performs very much like the OEM pads. The OEM Sumitomo pads in my opinion are some of the best pads in the world.
In addition to not dusting or making any noise, they are more fade resistant than the stockers. They also do not need to be heated up to work properly.

I honestly think that these pads are more than sufficient for most people. Because of the increase in performance the actual system gains, super sticky track pads are really not needed. But for those who demand to have track pads, you will be happy to know that the pads can be changed in less than 10 minutes per side. Its just a cotter pin. The calipers also include hardware to keep the pad from moving around and causing noise like many race systems do.

I ll take some pics and give you some specs

Yeah. I never actuallu got the second (updated) compound (EBC Green) but people that did said the improvement was there but was still behind porterfield and carbotech.

That is a very nice setup. . . Thanks for the pics . . .