PDA

View Full Version : TYPE R Sideskirts (fiberglass)

BlackEP9
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Did anyone personally install these things?
I tried to fit them and they seemed to be a little too short. I actually had to use a jack on both ends to get it on. After I finally got them on the part near the rear wheel (bigger than the rest) would not lay down flush. It seems like they are not made perfectly.

The bodyshops nearby wouldn't touch it so it just lay collecting dust..now it's been over a year and I'm thinking about having it painted and put on again.
The question is how is it done???

MR.Pizza
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Did anyone personally install these things?
I tried to fit them and they seemed to be a little too short. I actually had to use a jack on both ends to get it on. After I finally got them on the part near the rear wheel (bigger than the rest) would not lay down flush. It seems like they are not made perfectly.

The bodyshops nearby wouldn't touch it so it just lay collecting dust..now it's been over a year and I'm thinking about having it painted and put on again.
The question is how is it done???

Pretty much all the fiberglass body parts will need at least some modification to fit and even then they may not lay perfect. Oem hfp or JDM should fit perfect though since it's urethane.

BlackEP9
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
What kind of modification?

MR.Pizza
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
What kind of modification?

Well, cutting trimming and laying new glass in some places if required. It can get expensive thus the reason why many just opt for the Jdm stuff, all you have to do is prep and paint that stuff. Fits perfect.

thetunersource
06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
i would never buy a fiberglass piece that requires cutting and laying new glass... i understand the trimming part but if you gotta hack to get it to fit, return it!

BlackEP9
06-19-2008, 01:49 AM
Seems like guys that can can or will do that kind of thing are hard to find.

MR.Pizza
06-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Check around boat repair places, those guys can do amazing things. Most auto body places rarely if at all deal in fiberglass since most oem parts are either plastic metal or urethane.

Yo_KyleEP3
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i hate replica's FTL and i cant go jdm im too poor. isnt there anyone that didnt have to much of a problem with em?

Coldth1
06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
mine when i had them went on tight but they fit fine. i think its all how u put them on.

BlackEP9
06-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes I did manage to get them on with the aid of a jack on one side of the piece and a jack on the other. I think I had to lift up each side an inch at a time, then do the other..rinse and repeat until it was in place. Then it looked OK except that the piece near the back that rises up the car's side didn't want to sit flush. I thought some professional might be able to get it ok, but after I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have a clue I gave up on it...

Boat repair eh? Thanks for the advice.

Coldth1
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Yes I did manage to get them on with the aid of a jack on one side of the piece and a jack on the other. I think I had to lift up each side an inch at a time, then do the other..rinse and repeat until it was in place. Then it looked OK except that the piece near the back that rises up the car's side didn't want to sit flush. I thought some professional might be able to get it ok, but after I couldn't find anyone who seemed to have a clue I gave up on it...

Boat repair eh? Thanks for the advice.

i got mine on by hand with a buddy and that peice i got to stay fush with some 3m tape.

BlackEP9
06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
3M double-sided? yeah...tried that, didn't work.

Coldth1
06-20-2008, 01:00 PM
3M double-sided? yeah...tried that, didn't work.

yea i had to put a couple layers on to make it stick u just gotta make sure u use like a hair dryer or heat gun and warm it up real nice b4 u stick it on.

15000rpms
06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
piece of shit would not fit no matter what i did including: excessive sanding and grind until the fiberglass was almost going through. Piece of shit, I broke the little piece that holds a screw in the front.

thinkricky
06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
If you're looking to get rid of it. Lemme know I'll give it a shot.

oldschoolimport
06-30-2008, 05:46 AM
on the part that comes up in front of the rear wheel, I had to use a 2 part epoxy that I got from a bodyshop supply place. as long as you follow the directions, it'll hold like cement!

BlackEP9
07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
on the part that comes up in front of the rear wheel, I had to use a 2 part epoxy that I got from a bodyshop supply place. as long as you follow the directions, it'll hold like cement!

I got some of that stuff but was scared to use it in the case that it didn't work and I had a blob of epoxy left on my door.
You can get that epoxy from car parts stores and hardware stores too.

illusionsoflife
07-15-2008, 03:40 AM
if you havnt done it yet do it. i did mine. wasnt hard. at first it looks like it wont fit but be slow. they'll fit

ep3civic2nr
07-15-2008, 05:48 AM
wasting your time IMO.. i went thru three different sets and they all fit like crap. thats why OEM is the way to go.

bchaney
07-15-2008, 06:59 AM
wasting your time IMO.. i went thru three different sets and they all fit like crap. thats why OEM is the way to go.

OEM = better, better = $$$

Therefore, OEM = $$$

ep3civic2nr
07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
OEM = better, better = $$$

Therefore, OEM = $$$

spend the $$ and it fits better, already painted, has hardware, lets time to install.

15000rpms
09-01-2008, 04:46 AM
I found the secret.

You have to bolt one side at a time.

First drill holes in the front side and screw them down in the car where the plastic thing goes.

Then you can pull the rear end into your 1/4 panel. Start from under the car and pull your way up. Then drill holes and screw it in.

talonXracer
09-01-2008, 05:50 AM
All of these replica skirts and lips are only partially trimmed from the manufacturer. The fact that they require trimming, sanding and painting to fit properly makes them alot more expensive than HFP. Not too mention they come with zero hardware.