PDA

View Full Version : to machine head or not too....

Kerby
06-18-2008, 04:51 AM
got a question for yous....

I would like to buy a A1 head. From what the seller says, the head is comming off a working good working engine. If I buy it, I was planning on taking it, stripping it of cams, rockers, all equipment and leaving it overnight in a 5gal bucket of .5(water) and .5(SimpleGreen). Then I was going to apply a toothbrush to it and redo the process again. Let that soak overnight.

My questions is this, I f I want to install a new valvetrain (SuperTech), do I have to send the head to a machine shop? Can't I or my Mechanic do the install?

Or is the whole purpose of me sending the head off to a machinst simple to resurface the head? I believe the mechanic I plan to use has the tools to check the spring rates.

But if the OEM gasket is not metal... which i don't think it is... does the head even have to be resurfaced?

davisj3537
06-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Yes you need to resurface it regardless. That is taking a big chance if you dont:moony:

Kerby
06-18-2008, 07:24 AM
thank you!

how much should resurfacing cost?

Deadphishy
06-18-2008, 08:38 AM
thank you!

how much should resurfacing cost?

Depends.

But when you take a head in to get resurfaced the things you will usally get are.

The head will be cleaned, Far better then what simple green will do.
The bottom, intake side and exhaust side will be checked for flatness, and decked if needed. (a lot of places just do the bottom)
The valve holes will be ground so the valves seal properly. the more angles on the valve job the better it will flow usally.
You will get new valve stem oil seals. they cost about $1.30 each from a dealer, so bring your own to the machinest so he doesn't charge you an arm and a leg. PS. they come in packs of 10, you need 8 exhaust and 8 intake seals. They have different part numbers.

I had all this done on my k24a2 head for $160. Thats really cheap, usally your looking at around $300.

davisj3537
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Hmmm...What if I only want the bottom decked. Going price? Its not my head but a customers...his request. I just hadn't priced it yet.

Deadphishy
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Can't be to much, to get it decked. I do think it needs to be cleaned after to remove the metal shavings. And i don't know if you can deck a head with valves in it. if you can't then you should get new seals away.

Kerby
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
they they do that then I maight as well also provide them with the valve guides too.:drum:

davisj3537
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Interesting:mredface:

Kleinengines
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Most machine shops charge $50 to surface. Just make sure when you get it back its as close to a mirror finish as possible so the headgasket seals up tight.

Kleinengines
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Also I do recommend having your cylinder head surfaced anytime there is any question about the condition or striaghtness of the head or surface.