PDA

View Full Version : mothers claybar vs meguiars claybar?

hatch404
06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
has anyone tried both? Which is better? I've used the mothers one and I like it. Just wondering what people think of the meguiars one. I was looking to buy the mothers one at walmart but then I saw the meguiars one. Any input is appreciated:mbiggrin:

RTE117
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I used to own mostly professional detailing equipment and I only used this bar:

http://www.claymagic.net/

It worked great for me, but it's somewhat expensive. It worked better than the off-the-shelf bars, but I'd still say Meguiars is good.

jtyler05si
06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I used to own mostly professional detailing equipment and I only used this bar:

http://www.claymagic.net/

It worked great for me, but it's somewhat expensive. It worked better than the off-the-shelf bars, but I'd still say Meguiars is good.

how expensive was it and where can you buy them?

RTE117
06-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I had the blue bar. You can find them on froogle.com or something online. They're probably under $30 now, but they used to be $40+.

hatch404
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Hmm I'll have to look into that one. I don't think I've ever seen it in any store, is it online order and specialty stores only?

first i bought mother's.

then i bought meguiar's because it came with 2 claybars :mbiggrin:

meguiar's worked pretty well.

!@#$%
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Their site says it is sold in retail Autozones.

ryko
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
meguiars, if your not paying top top top tippy top dollar for your detail supplies, just buy something that walmarts not ashamed to sell.

anyways, you shouldnt have to claybar that often at all. maybe once

Blackexcoupe
06-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Right now I'm using Pinnacle Poly-ultra clay and it is by far my favorite, but at $20 a bar it isn't practical since it has to be bought online.

I've used the blue clay magic, meguiars clay, and the mothers clay bar, and the mothers and blue clay magic are pretty similar. The blue clay magic is more aggressive and at around $10 a bar at autozone it is probably the best value, and after that I would choose the mothers yellow clay bar since it is pretty easy to use and cost around $14. I was never to happy with the meguiars bar since it was really soft and sticky, so it would stick to the paint instead of it gliding over while picking up contaminates.

Breakep3
06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
As far as how aggressive the clay is the consumer line of Meguiars and Mothers, the strength is the same. Their Quick Detailers works great but Meguiars package includes a very nice large microfiber and a 2 clay bars in separate packages and a nice plastic case. Each will probably be good for two cars obviously depending on severeness of contaminates. (In Meguiars you get 2 more oz. of clay - but it's in two bars rather than one big one)

The mothers is big and is good for probably 3 cars it can be stored in a Ziploc bag just spray it with the provided quick detailer, do the same with the Meguiars.

That being said essentially you are getting the exact same thing just choose which brand your are loyal to; for me it's Meguiars or death.

And what Blackexcoupe said about the Meguiars being sticky and not gliding properly over the paint is pure user error. When using ANY clay bay you need to use quick detailer VERY liberally to avoid damaging the paint.

Blackexcoupe
06-19-2008, 07:18 AM
And what Blackexcoupe said about the Meguiars being sticky and not gliding properly over the paint is pure user error. When using ANY clay bay you need to use quick detailer VERY liberally to avoid damaging the paint.I use plenty of lubricant when I clay its just the Meguiars would get stuck more often then any other clay I have used before, and it would leave streaks, but this was 2 or 3 years ago maybe things have changed?

Breakep3
06-19-2008, 02:01 PM
If the clay get's stuck at all then you lack sufficient lubricant, and are probably marring the paint. And about the streaking as with all quick detailers and clay bars when you are done with the panel you need to remove the remainder of the quick detailer off of the panel with a microfiber and their will be absolutely no streaking. Never let quick detailer dry on paint.

The consumer line of Meguiars clay bay has not changed formula wise since it was originally introduced in 1993. Although it's color and packaging has many times.

3dkahuna
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I really need to do this an a full wax/polish to my car and keep it maintained. I have so neglected the car the past 3 years.

mikhsoj
06-27-2008, 04:42 AM
u dont have to claybar that often. i heard its even bad for your car to claybar alot. i just do it before shows / meets or when i feel stuff in my paint.

Breakep3
06-27-2008, 01:18 PM
u dont have to claybar that often. i heard its even bad for your car to claybar alot. i just do it before shows / meets or when i feel stuff in my paint.

Twice a year for an average car, but I live in Texas so the conditions aren't as bad as other places.

I wouldn't clay more than 4 times a year. I would just do twice. Once before winter kicks in and once after winter is over.

Claying often isn't necessarily bad for your car but improper claying will cause paint marring.

lolmax
06-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I've used the Meguiars, but honestly the Clay Magic kit is WORLDS better and cheaper. $12 at Autozone.

spike 03EP3
07-16-2008, 07:32 AM
I just used the Mothers Claybar and it worked great! Took out all those nasty swirl marks from years of drying the car with crappy towels. From what I've read and have been told, claybar will not harm your clear coat, and you can use it as many times as you want, but most cars only need it once a year as long as the finish is cleaned and mantained regularly.

JTilly
07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I just used the Mothers Claybar and it worked great! Took out all those nasty swirl marks from years of drying the car with crappy towels.

I thought swirl marks were etched into your clear coat. Doesn't the clay bar just remove everything above it though? Is it a liquid clay bar or something?

spike 03EP3
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I thought swirl marks were etched into your clear coat. Doesn't the clay bar just remove everything above it though? Is it a liquid clay bar or something?

The claybar is just like regular modeling clay you might have used in art class in highschool, of course it's a differnt material.

The claybar by itself didn't remove the swirl marks, but prepared the clear coat for the Carnuba Cleaner Wax that comes with the kit. Used by themselves, it won't take them out, but together it does. All I know is I have no more swirl marks and my paint has that nice wet look. :smile:

gutierrez626
07-22-2008, 08:45 AM
im gona do the clay for the first time this friday any suggestions

spike 03EP3
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Just follow the instructions and take your time. After the claybar step you won't notice much difference, when you apply the cleaner wax and remove it is when you'll see and feel the difference. It took me about 3 hours to do my car including washing it, I only did one body panel ay a time though.

SwA
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
i used turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar and ICE wax. i dont think its not that good any suggestion? sorry for going off topic

spike 03EP3
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
i used turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar and ICE wax. i dont think its not that good any suggestion? sorry for going off topic

So you're saying it's good. :mwink:

Seriously, I've never liked Turtle Wax products, but I can't really comment on their claybar because I've never used it. All I know is that the Mothers Claybar works really well, and is really easy to use, the carnuba cleaner wax is one of the easiest waxes I've worked with.

SiN05
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
im gona do the clay for the first time this friday any suggestions

I did mine this past week with meguirers. just just alot of lube and you'll be fine. I put on a coat of the turtle wax ice afterwards. They both got the job done for me the paint is baby soft and smooth.

2005rollingegg
07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
first i bought mother's.

then i bought meguiar's because it came with 2 claybars :mbiggrin:

meguiar's worked pretty well.

LOL, thats how I would of looked at it too.

gutierrez626
07-27-2008, 07:31 AM
so i did it man so much crap came off of my car and that was after the wash i was really surprised... but after the claybar u could already see the blue coming through on the nhbp and then after i did the wax it just shined.. im very pleased... took me about three hours from when i washed till i finished the interior..ooh i used the meguiar's clay bar kit...im pleased with that..

JDMtunerEP3
08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Both make decent clay bars but 3m has the professional grade that should be available to the public now and that stuff is sick!

MatUK.8
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Right now I'm using Pinnacle Poly-ultra clay and it is by far my favorite, but at $20 a bar it isn't practical since it has to be bought online.

I've used the blue clay magic, meguiars clay, and the mothers clay bar, and the mothers and blue clay magic are pretty similar. The blue clay magic is more aggressive and at around $10 a bar at autozone it is probably the best value, and after that I would choose the mothers yellow clay bar since it is pretty easy to use and cost around $14. I was never to happy with the meguiars bar since it was really soft and sticky, so it would stick to the paint instead of it gliding over while picking up contaminates.

Very nice suggestions, i may try the blue clay magic since you say it is the best value

nrengle
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
The claybar is just like regular modeling clay you might have used in art class in highschool, of course it's a differnt material.

The claybar by itself didn't remove the swirl marks, but prepared the clear coat for the Carnuba Cleaner Wax that comes with the kit. Used by themselves, it won't take them out, but together it does. All I know is I have no more swirl marks and my paint has that nice wet look. :smile:

Actually the cleaner wax is just hiding the majority of the swirls in the paint. The cleaners in the wax aren't abrasive enough (especially by hand) to level the clear coat that much. To remove swirls you need a abrasive polish like Menzerna IP or SIP, or 106FF or 106FA (last two are more of a finishing polish). When the wax wears off you'll see what i mean when the swirls are back. Step up to one of these products or anything in the Meg's Pro Line, Wolfgang, Poorboys, etc, and a FLex or PC you'll be able to clear up those swirls.

icarus.na
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
mother's FTW!

EP3_U_SEE
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
i would do mothers...... +1

nizmoluvep3
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
i've always used mother's and so far no regrets.....but maybe that blue magic is worth a look at