PDA

View Full Version : The END-ALL POST to REAR SPRING SAG

BlackEP9
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Note: this post was put together while researching this problem and to help others by putting it together in one spot.

The EXPLANATION
--------------------

what does it mean when your springs "sag"? ive never heard of this term before
-Jigar

It means that over time the springs will compress and become shorter, making the car lower than it was when the springs were new. All springs will do this to some degree, some more than others.
-BSEVEER

usually it take quite sometime for some spring to "sag". I figure it takes anywhere from 2-4 years for this to occur
-Vertigo

It just makes sense to me that any spring will sag over a period of time. In my experiences, it takes about 1 year. It is sort of a break in period.
-Dustinhurley

Springs are what determine ride height, therefore, sag is from the springs.
-Eee Pee

THE EVIDENCE
----------------

My current SPRINT springs sag a lot, even though guarenteed not to. And it happened on my old Civic with EIBACHS. I've had my SPRINT springs for a year, maybe longer. They have sagged a lot in the rear especially. Started out at 2" drop. I'd say it has sagged to about 2.5" or so in the rear.
-Dustinhurley

I know that alot of yous guys have NEUSPEED Race springs, such as I do, but unless it is my imagination (not measured exactly just "fingered") it appears that the rear is a bit lower than the front now. I would say about a .5 inch to .75 inch.
-ChapSchtick

From what I've seen the PROGRESS drops the car lower in the rear than the front. I have koni shocks, and now the drop is lower in the front than the rear..by half an inch.
-02SilverSiHB

Probably not but I've seen too many cars in the past with EIBACHS and the ass starts to sag after about 8 months.
-phatsi

i have a set of GOLDLINE springs an my rear sets almost an inch lower in the rear...
-bcivicsi0069

Im currently running SPRINT springs (with camber kit) and it seems that the rear is sagging more and more. Did a search and seems like theres alot of springs that have this problem.
-hernameis?

i have SKUNK2 coilovers and it seems that the rear has dropped down about a half an inch since i put them on a month ago... i hope it doesnt continue to sag because its low enough as it is
-liljosh63

I have a feeling those springs are not specific to the EP like the TEIN's causing sag..
-Drifitin SI

every PROGRESS drop i've seen is lower in the rear than in the front.

-Chunky

Just know that if you get (EIBACH) SPORTLINES you are going to need a camber kit which is another $130, and SOME members have had them sag in the rear.
-Whiteboy

TEIN- really low spring rate and really nasty butt sag.
PROGRESS- 2" drop, good spring rate, slight butt sag.
-boostedsi0813

I wanted to talk to my spring manufacturer (NEUSPEED) about my little rear sag nightmare. I think the rear has dropped 4".
-Blackep9

The REASONS (PEOPLE GIVE)
------------------------------

It was cut 1/2 inch too short during manufactoring so it had booty sag...
-phatsi

I read somewhere here i think that someone had nuespeeds put on upside down in the rear and that might have caused this problem...
-ChapSchtick

It's just the way our cars look. The rear fender is lower than the rear to begin with. I've noticed the rear sits lower on every spring that anyone has...tein, eibach, sprint, neuspeed, progress, etc..
-02SilverSiHB

the guy that helped me install them took the bump stops out of the rear...
-bcivicsi0069

...due to incorrect spring rates.
-Drifitin SI

HOW TO FIX IT
--------------

The only way to solve the sag would be to get a shock with an adjustable rear perch, adjustable height coilovers, or of course buy new springs every time they start sagging again.. Unless there's a spring out there that DOESN'T SAG??

-BlackEP9

SPRINGS THAT WON'T SAG
-------------------------

H&R - No known complaints on EPHATCH

dichotomous
06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
do stock springs sag? I just put RSX-S stock springs on mine cause the nuespeeds sagged bad, now its raked (tail high, sportier) and I hope it stays that way

v1c10us
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
typically springs are designed to put the front lower than the rear
progress for instance is 1.8 front and 1.5 rear.
The fender is half an inch lower in the rear though.
if youll notice, everyone who complains of sagging is on stock shocks or non adjustable shocks.
The rear of our car is lighter than the front so the valving on the stock shocks is different in the rear to compensate for it(not sure if its faster or slower) but the result is that when compressed the rears go first and it starts to sag cause your shocks are all sloopy now

dichotomous
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
if youll notice, everyone who complains of sagging is on stock shocks or non adjustable shocks.
The rear of our car is lighter than the front so the valving on the stock shocks is different in the rear to compensate for it(not sure if its faster or slower) but the result is that when compressed the rears go first and it starts to sag cause your shocks are all sloopy now

more likely its that the motion ratio of the rears is almost twice that of the fronts, so if the front springs sag a quarter inch, the front goes down a quarter inch, if the rears sag a quarter inch the rear goes down a half inch, so any sag of the springs which may be even all around will drop the rear more

v1c10us
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
lol; you're really tickin me off today buddy..
Front MR = .909
Rear MR = .588
if you hit a 1 inch bump the front springs absorbs .909 inches of it
the rear only absorbs .588 inches of it.
the motion ratio on the rear is almost half that of the front.
but yea you're theory is right but for the wrong reason.
for the wheel to move 1 inch closer to the fender the spring needs only compress .588 inches.

MugsyTheGr8
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM
do stock springs sag? I just put RSX-S stock springs on mine cause the nuespeeds sagged bad, now its raked (tail high, sportier) and I hope it stays that way

all spring will lose tension, its in their nature.

shocks dont support the weight of the vehicle, they have no influence on a cars ride height.

v1c10us
06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
well, I've got d-specs on stock springs right now(waiting for my damn progress springs)
and If i set them full soft the car sits almost a whole inch lower once the spring gets compressed.
If the car is parked and i set them full soft nothing happens, but then if i bounce the rear end up and down it will stay a good bit lower instead of going back up. Not sure why though i guess

BlackEP9
06-20-2008, 04:14 PM
t

I have D-Specs just like you.

dobbs02si
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Hell ive had to adjust the rears on my GC's a couple of times..but I pull a trailer alot so im sure that only speeds up the process.

silver hatch
06-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Hell ive had to adjust the rears on my GC's a couple of times..but I pull a trailer alot so im sure that only speeds up the process.

Trailer pullin' ep ftw! :drum:

EPandaman29
06-21-2008, 01:14 AM
man, wat a great post...i just noticed my rear springs sagging today. good thing i got megans!

dobbs02si
06-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Trailer pullin' ep ftw! :drum:

Its my nice truck..lol

dichotomous
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
lol; you're really tickin me off today buddy..
Front MR = .909
Rear MR = .588
if you hit a 1 inch bump the front springs absorbs .909 inches of it
the rear only absorbs .588 inches of it.
the motion ratio on the rear is almost half that of the front.
but yea you're theory is right but for the wrong reason.
for the wheel to move 1 inch closer to the fender the spring needs only compress .588 inches.

um, your conception of physics seem to be mildly displaced often. if the car hits a 1 inch bump, the front and rear wheels will each move 1 inch, the front spring will move roughly 1inch and the rear spring will move roughly a half inch. if each spring sags 1 inch (spring sag, not wheel sag) then the rear wheels will sag roughly 2x the fronts. if all the wheels sag the same then the rear springs have only sagged half as much as the fronts. I dont see how I was wrong here, and you seemed to have pointed out how I was right above there.

dichotomous
06-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I dont see how the shocks, whether adjustable or not, could possibly affect spring sagging. they merely resist suspension movement, they dont hold anything up or strengthen the springs or anything, only slow down the suspension movement.

oldschoolimport
06-24-2008, 01:10 PM

yep, this'll do it... :mbiggrin:
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5272/0624081501qj6.jpg

civictype_r04
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
My skunk2's sagged a little bit.