PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I should get a Si or a....

Import-a-TypeR
11-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Honda Si
Acura RSX-S

An RSX-S is just at my limit. I would much rather have the RSX. I am sure we all agree that it is a better car.

BUT, the payments on a Si would be a whole lot better, especially if I get fired or something(not that it looks that way or anything)

Of course; if I did get the SI I would have to mod the heck out of it. I am pre approved for 25K at 5.25%, so 18K OTD for a Si... that would leave 7K for instant mods.

I like the looks of the SI better than the RSX-S, but I like the performance and comfort of the RSX-S better than the Si.

I guess the question is:
1. Would you get the RSX-S
or
Would you get a SI and mod the heck out of it.
2. What can you guys think of doing to the SI for 7K that would make me want to get a Si rather than a RSX

I am new to the moding, so I can really think of what I would spend 7K on. Arn't engine swaps more than that?

Import-A-TypeR

2k2civicSi
11-18-2002, 06:57 PM
buy this and take all the graphics off it

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4817

DynaSpeed
11-18-2002, 07:00 PM
In all seriousness, if I was in your shoes - I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Si and have 7k left over.
Well - I guess it really is what I did. I like the styling better, I like the performance per dollar (including mods), but I also believe that the Si is a more comfortable car... but that is biased because I have only been in an RSX-S for a short period of time.

CleanBlackSi02
11-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Damn, the Arospeed R and the Hasport civic are both for sale! What's happenin' here?!

02blksi
11-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Im sorry everyone here, but............

GET the RSX-S if you can afford it !! That engine is a beast!!! IMO -Joe.

BTW: either way you cant go wrong :)

cbecker333
11-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Import-a-TypeR
Honda Si
Acura RSX-S

An RSX-S is just at my limit. I would much rather have the RSX. I am sure we all agree that it is a better car.

You should consider insurance cost for the two vehicles - the Si is considered the same as any other honda hatch (hx or whatever it is). The insurance on my Si is less than the insurance was on my last car - a 1992 pontiac bonneville! The RSX-S, on the other hand, has the potential to cripple you with high rates if you are young with a not-so-great driving record. Just my .02

2k2_nbp_egg
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
They're both really fun cars. I drove my friend's base and i could tell that there was a little throatier noise to the engine, the shifting/clutch felt a little sportier, and the interior was a little different. All of those and the exterior are subjective to whoever is judging it IMO, but as for tha big S, test drove one w/ my friend and it reminded me of my old car. 0-6krpm no power, 6-8k rpm was whoa. Idunno what kind of person you are, but i personally prefer the feel of low-end-pull on my new Si/friends Spec V *hint hint* opposed to my old Si / the RSX-S...especially after some EMBARASSING runs when i didn't launch at high rpm. Now add 7k worth of mods and i would be all over that Si. Average times i've seen for the RSX S with an average driver have been around 15 seconds. An EP with not even 3k worth of engine mods can beat that time and run with an rsx S fo sho :) then u have another 4 for appearance/interior/suspension etc...

P.S. rsx race-needled gauges own me :(

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2002, 07:52 PM
i'd get the SI mainly because you wont be paying nearly as muc per month. You'd have a pretty fat car payment if u use the full 25k as opposed to only using 17k or so out the door. The type s is nicer no doubt but those heftycar payments will get old quick (even if have the money)

DownTheHatch
11-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Save all your money and get a Dodge SRT-4 or Mazdaspeed Protege.

Both turbo, both fast, both cheap, like $19k

Between the RSX and Si, I'd choose the Si.

myeverlovinsir
11-18-2002, 08:06 PM
I can wait, I got my ride to see what can be done with it.
If I jump anywhere it would be for the RSX-S engine. Given.
But for the money, you may want to opt for the Neon, which
I hope to smoke when It arrives. looking forward to our turbo
setup!! Really too early to be considering another ride for me.

My Ever Lovin SiR...:D

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2002, 08:11 PM
yeah or at least wait for the neon and see what it is all about

jo3y
11-18-2002, 08:16 PM
If you know what you're doing $7k in aftefmarket performance goodies will make an Si bitch slap an RSX-s not to mention a few others. . .

Drastik_Si
11-18-2002, 08:33 PM
buy a civic type R

myeverlovinsir
11-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Drastik_Siif you don't mind my asking, where did you get your hi-flow cat?
Nothing in the aftermarket yet, is it custom?

ocara64
11-18-2002, 11:05 PM
If you want to terrorize these new cars coming out (neon srt4, mazdaspeed protege, focus svt etc) immediately, get the RSX-s.
If you like the civic SI, spend the money on a SC'er or turbo, and terrorize them later.

Az02Si
11-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Lets not start this "throw 7k into this car" crap.....Stock for stock,get the Type S........Throw cash into the S and watch it STILL run away from a modded Si.The Si is a nice car,but PERSONALLY(dont get dickbent guys) id wait for the SRT-4 to come out.Im thinking about trading my EP in on one.I feel FUCKED IMHO that i got the Si when all these other great cars are coming out.I wish i would have waited.......I wish i was smarter and would have looked past my Honda loyalty........

ocara64
11-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Dude if Honda disappoints, you can always count on the aftermarket companies to provide the necessaries to make up for it. Don't forget about Honda's reputation for reliability.
If you feeled burned by Honda, your loyalty isn't that strong. By all means go get a neon Srt 4, but don't get sucked into media hype when there haven't been any real life test of the neon yet.
Bottom line, Fast or Slow I'm sticking to Honda. Forget whatever else is out, make your civic faster than it. You don't have to keep your car stock, there are options! Its not the end of the road if something comes alone faster from the factory.

IceD out N CALI
11-19-2002, 12:07 AM
just remember if you're not 100% sure on a car purchase-dont do it. U wont lose by waiting an extra month etc. remember haste makes waste

Import-a-TypeR
11-19-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
buy this and take all the graphics off it

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4817
In order to get the 5.25% I have to buy from specific dealers. It

cbecker333
11-19-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Az02Si
Lets not start this "throw 7k into this car" crap.....Stock for stock,get the Type S........Throw cash into the S and watch it STILL run away from a modded Si.The Si is a nice car,but PERSONALLY(dont get dickbent guys) id wait for the SRT-4 to come out.Im thinking about trading my EP in on one.I feel FUCKED IMHO that i got the Si when all these other great cars are coming out.I wish i would have waited.......I wish i was smarter and would have looked past my Honda loyalty........

Dude, I can't believe you are considering trading in a honda for a dodge. So far the only info I have heard (over and over) on the SRT-4 is that its got tons of power. Is that all that matters? I bet its heavy as shit and forget reliability/durability. Oh, and by the way...its a dodge! You would be driving a dodge. lol....I don't mind some neons beating me as long I'm not the one in a dodge

Gasp23
11-19-2002, 06:51 AM
I, too, at one point wanted the RSX-S and test drove it and everything. Then the Si came out and I was in the same dilema.

To me the Si is way confortable for everyone, including the people in the back seats, which was important for me. I always have people with me and if they are not to confortable that sux.

At the end I went with what I liked, the Si. This is a decision only you can make. I also put a lot in consideration the price and that wasn't to hard to choose for me.

Just make sure that whatever you choose is what you really want other wise it will suck and you'll be hitting your self all the time, "Should of gotten the ______!"

Good luck!:)

kenis138
11-19-2002, 07:33 AM
A dodge neon....with a turbo......Before looking into one of these I would talk to some NON-turbo neon owners and ask particularly about their head gaskets at about 75k......and you want a turbo on this thing? (grew up in car rental, basing this on experience)

Az02Si
11-19-2002, 08:33 AM
Ok,first off....Is Honda in the business of keeping the aftermarket alive now or something?Pretty pathetic we have to rely on the aftermarket to make this car what it SHOULD HAVE been. Some of you really make it sound that way with comments like"Dude if Honda disappoints, you can always count on the aftermarket companies to provide the necessaries to make up for it. Don't forget about Honda's reputation for reliability."Dude,ive already owned one 25k+ Honda that was quick as hell,but i wont do it again.... Secondly,this is my third Honda,and my moms 5th.....I LOVE Hondas,so DONT question my loyalty.I personally know TONS of Neon owners here in AZ and their cars are all good except a tendency to break axles every now and then.......And IMHO,my 02 is no more reliable that a Neon or a Focus anyways,with my bad tranny,TOB,pressure plates prolly shot,and the nice MISSFIRE I have at 6k in most gears.Sorry,but Honda "quality" IS starting to slip,wether you guys want to believe it or not.

cbecker333
11-19-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Az02Si
Ok,first off....Is Honda in the business of keeping the aftermarket alive now or something?Pretty pathetic we have to rely on the aftermarket to make this car what it SHOULD HAVE been. Some of you really make it sound that way with comments like"Dude if Honda disappoints, you can always count on the aftermarket companies to provide the necessaries to make up for it. Don't forget about Honda's reputation for reliability."Dude,ive already owned one 25k+ Honda that was quick as hell,but i wont do it again.... Secondly,this is my third Honda,and my moms 5th.....I LOVE Hondas,so DONT question my loyalty.I personally know TONS of Neon owners here in AZ and their cars are all good except a tendency to break axles every now and then.......And IMHO,my 02 is no more reliable that a Neon or a Focus anyways,with my bad tranny,TOB,pressure plates prolly shot,and the nice MISSFIRE I have at 6k in most gears.Sorry,but Honda "quality" IS starting to slip,wether you guys want to believe it or not.

tendancy to break axles? isn't that pretty serious? you make it sound like its no big deal. Sounds not only expensive, but dangerous.. You should stop trying to apply your experience with your 02 as a template for how all of them are. Mine is PERFECT after 8000 miles. Engine, tranny, suspension...interrior...all PERFECT. Its not that we are ignoring a slip in honda quality, its that you were one of the unlucky few who got shafted because of your lemony car. I understand your need to vent but you are fooling yourself when you compare honda to american car companys in terms of reliability and quality. So, yes, I'm going to "face it" - you got a lemon. You can't convince me my car sucks when I use it every day and it works better than the american cars I have previously owned/driven.

Az02Si
11-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Guess what? My "lemon" just started doing this within 1K miles(im at 14,400 right now) Funny how Honda here said they had quite a few of these come back with issues already too.Im not saying ALL of them are,jesus,im saying MINE could be better,and im sure the other local guys with EPs arent to happy if they have already had to bring them in for MAJOR service.Oh,and about the Neon/axle thing...Only at the track....Dont know any of em that had it happen on the streets.........

LordKoo
11-19-2002, 12:17 PM
I have driven the RSX-S countless of times, everytime, there is something negative I can pick on the car. Comfortable in RSX? You kidding me right? Those thinnly padded leather covered seats sucks! Second, it is leather, and cause you to slip all over the place when you drive aggressive. Hmm... The shifter is so convectional.... It is noisy so what it got power? How fast can you drive everyday from point A to B? There is no autobahn here!

Civic Si? By far the most quiet Japanese car at this price range I have tested. I only tested the Si once, and I brought the car. The car get up to speed calm and relax, and the feel of European heaviness conviced me it is better car per dollar vs RSX-S. Oh, those seats are nice, half leather and cloth!

$7k difference means a whole lot. You can have better lifestyle, less financial burden, cheaper insurance, you name it... I still think Civic is a better ride than another pocket rockets out there. It is the first for Honda to build a car that feel so European but without the head chopping price tag.

jo3y
11-19-2002, 11:03 PM
One of my many jobs i have is a Valet. I test drive everything, every size, every trim from EVERY country. (i work at a prestigious place that has a huge testing ground. . I mean "back" parking lot) anyway I think my Si surpasses the quality of many american luxury cars (ehem lincoln ehem) and will give quite a few new cars a run for their money. Plus people like us buy EP's to modify them - we understand and drool over the aftermarket. Wait untill some turbo Si's start showing up, i mean you could have a turbo Si for the price of an RSX-s. Now is that our fault we can build a faster honda with the same bling bling? No, its our intelligence.

You just have to be smarter than the honda.

dustinhurley
11-20-2002, 07:44 AM
The EP3 is better to turbo, than the DC5, due to the lower compression. So, theoretically, a turbo EP should be quicker on the strip than a turbo DC. Not considering forced induction, the DC is a lot better to mod. The damn car gets almost 20hp from an intake. That is unheard of in Civic/Integra history, and probably all 4 cylinder engines. You could make a DC pretty damn fast for not a lot of money. The mods are a lot more bang for your buck than they are going to be on an EP. As far as a turbo Dodge goes, I wouldn't trust it. I don't think they would release a car that isn't able to be driven regularly, but a turbo domestic 4 cylinder with 14psi is very skeptical to me.

hacim
11-20-2002, 08:14 AM
I wouldnt get either. You can get a 2 year old S60 T5 for around 17 to 22 k with low miles and still have a waranty. The S60 T5 stock is runing a 6.2 sec 0-60 and you will have four doors, leather and a total sleepr. You spend another 3k and you would have about 320 horses and there isnt much that would touch you in the rice world so I would go that route, I wish I would have gone that route in the first place.

LordKoo
11-20-2002, 08:23 AM
Pleaseeeeeeeeeee! Realistically, K20A3 isn't meant for turbo. The engine layout is open deck which is not ideal for turbo. And the internal I highly doubt can take more than 7psi of boost. If Honda wants turbo why bother with the i-vtec system?

It just a Civic, if I want a fast car, I will get a fast car.

Good luck guys in turboing, I hope those aftermarkets know what the heck they are doing...

cbecker333
11-20-2002, 08:57 AM
just curious, do you think a supercharger is more reasonable for the K20A3? Does anyone know how many psi of boost the new one from Jackson Racing produces? and, maybe what that translates to in whp gains? I'd love to to see a JRSC/hondata dyno chart!