PDA

View Full Version : handling? steering rack creak?

pjnoto
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
i want to put a 2 inch drop on my ep. I have read on some other threads that this will hurt my handling. is this true? also how bad is this steering rack creak really? is nething being damaged by it?

rolldic
06-19-2008, 11:52 PM
yeahr steering rack get major damage. but every ep is different, i took the risk.

oogy-boogy
06-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Moved...

Zzyzx
06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
i want to put a 2 inch drop on my ep. I have read on some other threads that this will hurt my handling. is this true?

Yes, the EP3 has ~3" of bump travel stock, so lowering it 2" and you end up with very little travel before you bottom out the strut. Of course this depends on what you use to lower the car.

other wise, you are also lowering the car to the point where your LCA's are at or near a 90 Deg angle with the Strut. which means compressing the suspension = positive camber gain, rather then the desired Negative camber gain.

Then there's the roll center issue, where lowering the car that much means an increase in weight transfer rather then the desired reduction in weight transfer...

pjnoto
06-20-2008, 08:42 AM
i want to do this through lowering springs. Im not going to lower it two inches just so it looks tucked if its gonna handle shitty.How much should i lower my car to not sacrifice its handling?

Zzyzx
06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Max? Inch and a half.

Pretty much with this car your going to have to make a decision... Looks(tucking) or performance. as they will be more or less mutually exclusive with out serious work the suspension.

pjnoto
06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
so say i lower her an inch. will i still have steering rack issues?

az-epdrvr
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
yeahr steering rack get major damage. but every ep is different, i took the risk.

yes , what he said they are all different, no problem here

rburdios
06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
i had the creak without being dropped. i say go for it, what year are you?

MugsyTheGr8
06-20-2008, 09:13 AM
so say i lower her an inch. will i still have steering rack issues?

if your rack starts creaking, it would have done it anyways. mines was creaking and im stock ride height. if your terribly worried about it, there is a steering rack brace you can buy, or you can spring for inverted tie-rod ends.

pjnoto
06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
shes an 04. im an 87. i think mine already does it sometimes.im as noob as they come but what do you guys think about ground control coilovers? handling? better...worse..???

pjnoto
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM
what they cost extra i will save on making it a diy job cuz i dont have a spring compressor. bye the way is see alot of modded eps running around. Ne of you guys from newton, sparta, vernon,ish.... New Jersey?

dichotomous
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I didnt use a spring compressor and I didnt have problems. also, any autozone or advanced auto will let you borrow many tools (including a spring compressor, had it on hand if needed, it wasnt) for free. just ask, you put a deposite down and they give it back when you go in