PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed tranny?

freddy914
06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
my question is that i have a type s tranny and i know that if i leave my stock ecu with kpro i know i wont have the reverse lockout. but if i was to get a dc5 ecu do i also need to get the engine wire harness? or is there a way you can just run wires directly to ecu?

freddy914
06-21-2008, 02:39 PM
my question is that i have a type s tranny and i know that if i leave my stock ecu with kpro i know i wont have the reverse lockout. but if i was to get a dc5 ecu do i also need to get the engine wire harness? or is there a way you can just run wires directly to ecu?

bump

kprocivic
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
i dont get what your saying dc5 ecu will bolt right up to ep harness. the dimensions of ecu are exactly the same.

ohh after reading it again all you have to do is buy a dc5-s ecu kpro it and install it and bam you have reverse lockout.

freddy914
06-21-2008, 03:03 PM
i dont get what your saying dc5 ecu will bolt right up to ep harness. the dimensions of ecu are exactly the same.

ohh after reading it again all you have to do is buy a dc5-s ecu kpro it and install it and bam you have reverse lockout.

i know i have to get the dc5-s ecu kpro.. but on the type s tranny i noticed an extra clip for the wire harness and the a3 tranny doesn't have it..

kprocivic
06-21-2008, 03:06 PM
i know i have to get the dc5-s ecu kpro.. but on the type s tranny i noticed an extra clip for the wire harness and the a3 tranny doesn't have it..

is it a z1 tranny.

freddy914
06-21-2008, 03:09 PM
is it a z1 tranny.

no its k20a2 tranny

kprocivic
06-21-2008, 03:14 PM
ohh sorry cant help someone will help you though.

freddy914
06-21-2008, 03:35 PM
ohh sorry cant help someone will help you though.

thanx i appreciate help..

freddy914
06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
bump need some help?

jdtim
06-22-2008, 11:00 AM
not to thread jack or anything, but would an a2 6speed tranny work on an a3 motor?

freddy914
06-22-2008, 06:54 PM
not to thread jack or anything, but would an a2 6speed tranny work on an a3 motor?

it would but you would have to change the flywheel..

lldiesel386ll
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
long story short

lockout wont work unless you have an a2 ecu--so you are right in that respect. however you need the type s engine harness to have a connector to the ecu. if you dont have an a2 under your hood, kpro is a necessity.

i have a 5 converted to 6 transmission, and i dont see the necessity of the lockout. i see the convenience, but reverse is so wicked far that if you did go there from 5th without noticing (or anywhere else for that matter), you kinda have it coming:moony: :thumb:

you also dont need to change the flywheel. the a3 clutch pressure plate and flywheel are all reusable unless you plan on switching to a new a2 clutch. if thats the case then you need an a2 specific flywheel--that has been covered before

RoyVegasPinoy
06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
long story short

lockout wont work unless you have an a2 ecu--so you are right in that respect. however you need the type s engine harness to have a connector to the ecu. if you dont have an a2 under your hood, kpro is a necessity.

i have a 5 converted to 6 transmission, and i dont see the necessity of the lockout. i see the convenience, but reverse is so wicked far that if you did go there from 5th without noticing (or anywhere else for that matter), you kinda have it coming:moony: :thumb:

you also dont need to change the flywheel. the a3 clutch pressure plate and flywheel are all reusable unless you plan on switching to a new a2 clutch. if thats the case then you need an a2 specific flywheel--that has been covered before

I second that. Currently running the 6-speed and it's impossible to switch into reverse from 6th unless you were trying to do it intentionally.

biga2442
06-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Anything could be done but you would have to be trying REALLY hard to make a mistake

freddy914
06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
long story short

i have k24 frankenstien that im building so that means i would need the a2 harness or can i just use my stock harness with kpro and call it a day.. and hope for the best that i dont put in reverse while goin to 6th

freddy914
06-23-2008, 06:07 PM
bump

lldiesel386ll
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
i have k24 frankenstien that im building so that means i would need the a2 harness or can i just use my stock harness with kpro and call it a day.. and hope for the best that i dont put in reverse while goin to 6th

i have a k24 frank as well, 6 speed, lsd and all:mwink:
i dont have the a2 harness and it works fine. like i said previously, if you shift off to reverse, you kinda have it coming, as it is pretty damn difficult to miss the difference between the two. there is a change in pressure as you press between the 6th and reverse areas--its hard to describe. can anyone else please chime in and elaborate?

freddy914
06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
i have a k24 frank as well, 6 speed, lsd and all:mwink:
i dont have the a2 harness and it works fine. like i said previously, if you shift off to reverse, you kinda have it coming, as it is pretty damn difficult to miss the difference between the two. there is a change in pressure as you press between the 6th and reverse areas--its hard to describe. can anyone else please chime in and elaborate?

thanx you been a lot of help.. im just goin to stick with my stock harness and hope i dont mess up...

lldiesel386ll
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
i was in the same boat as you were if that makes you feel any better :mwink:

after driving it for almost 600 miles right now i think i can say with relative confidence that you'll be fine:thumb:

Gilmour
06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Yes 6 and R are far apart. I don't think you'd mix them up, + I don't think you'd ever be in track race maxing 5th going to 6th hard. And if your doing that on the streets then you deserve to hit R.

freddy914
06-24-2008, 02:30 PM
thanx alot.. i appreciate all the help..

speedking604
06-25-2008, 02:43 AM

you can run wires directly from solinoid (i believe that's what it's called) >> (revesrse lockout) and run a manual switch. when you wanna back up the car, all you do is hit the switch then it will let you go in reverse. just hit the switch again once your done and it will automatically lock your reverse. you will actually notice that the shifting is smother.

the good thing about this set up is that you dont need to have the a2 ecu.