PDA

View Full Version : DIY: intercooler alcohol/water spray.

xachary82
06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I have been home all day very bored..i still have my first car which is a 97 saturn.. well I was cleaning it out gettin ready to sell it and I got an idea.. I decided to take the windshield spray assembly out and attempt to make an intercooler spray kit like sti's have.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
an old windshield spray (lines, washer fluid container, the little actuator thing attached to it and a nozzle on the tip of the lines.), a knife, a rocker switch,about 45 minutes.

I popped the ep's hood and was looking for the proper place to put the fluid container.. I decided to put it where the stock air box used to be.next you find a place to put the rocker switch. the little actuator thing on the fluid container has a red and black wire.. run those wires to the rocker through the firewall and wire them to the proper places.. get another wire and run it from the positive battery terminal to the rocker also. take the tube that the washer fluid normally runs through and zip tie it to the prongs that are located in the middle of the bumper so that it is horizontal in front of the intercooler. cut VERY small slits in the tube so that the water/alcohol is under pressure when leaving the tube. this will make the liquid a mist rather than a stream. be sure the spray is applied evenly across the fmic using water. then use either water or alcohol to spray.

RESULTS

after hooking mine up I decided to use alcohol. I drove for about ten minutes to get the car to normal operating temp..I flipped the rocker ...although I didn't feel any difference I datalogged the whole drive on kpro after I began spraying, my IAT dropped 3 degrees in 30 seconds.. after 1 minute of constant spray it had dropped 8 degrees! I'm not saying this will help your e/t or anything but I thought it was cool to see something so simple actually work.

Danman281
06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
interesting write up

xachary82
07-05-2008, 02:10 AM
yeah very interesting, seeing how you're the only one who posted ha but hey.. it got results!

ivtec_do_u
07-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Pretty cool, except for whoever buys your saturn with no wiper spray nozzles.:meek:

robhep3
07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Pretty cool, except for whoever buys your saturn with no wiper spray nozzles.:meek:

Yeah, in most states, it's illegal not to have functional windshield washer sprayers because of the obvious possibility that you may be sprayed with filthy muddy water or something on the road and then be unable to see clearly, potentially causing an accident... Be careful with that, bro. Also be sure the alcohol you're using won't eat through any of the main components in your setup... some alcohols eat plastics and rubbers.

It is an interesting concept, however. Kudos for resourcefulness.

blksi02
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Very interesting!! might go to the junkyard and try to pull the washer bottle/sprayers off some car. Thanks man

blksi02
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
You have any idea what chemical would work the best to cool??

xachary82
07-08-2008, 12:56 AM
You have any idea what chemical would work the best to cool??

I'd probably have to say alcohol cuz in chem I believe it has the fastest evaporation time therefore whisking away the most heat in the shortest time.. if you have a painted intercooler tho it may take off that paint.. other than that it is working fine for me.. you

playap07
07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
hummm i like that idea!

davisj3537
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
I did something similiar to this...I combined plain water(since it will freeze easily) and a C02 spray bar system. Hooked it all up to a WOT switch and bam. You spray the IC with water and then it is frozen on by the C02.:mcool:

Siborg
07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I did something similiar to this...I combined plain water(since it will freeze easily) and a C02 spray bar system. Hooked it all up to a WOT switch and bam. You spray the IC with water and then it is frozen on by the C02.:mcool:

hmm.. interesting, I like it. How well does just the CO2 halo work (data logged?) and then with the frozen spray(logged?)?. I was thinking about the cryo2 systems since my temps can get a bit toasty at times :mangel:

eunsangie
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd probably have to say alcohol cuz in chem I believe it has the fastest evaporation time therefore whisking away the most heat in the shortest time.. if you have a painted intercooler tho it may take off that paint.. other than that it is working fine for me.. you

i believe acetone does better job in cooling than methanol, the downside of that is, it WILL ruin the paint job and possibly eating away the tubing. methanol would be the safe way out. plus, acetone is highly flammable and creates lots of pressure when heated (ie. engine bay) and may explode.

im no expert at it, but i am an organic chemist who uses these stuff everyday.
feel free to correct me.