PDA

View Full Version : Help with EBAY fog lights

pkpkpk
06-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey,
So I installed the EBAY (tunerzimage) fog lights last year, and about 3 months after,it would sometimes turn on, only after 5 minutes of driving the car.
Lately, it hasn't worked AT ALL. I checked the bulbs, surely 2 of them was blown, and replaced with new, didn't work.
So I took out my voltmeter and it seems whenever I connect ONE working bulb (not ON) the other bulbs voltage drops to 0v. Anyone experienced this before?
The main foglight main relay is working, so is the switch too,.

phister
06-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Check the wiring. You might be grounding out somewhere.

flipflopz
06-22-2008, 09:36 AM
check the fuse yet? got same kit and the fuse bubbled up like it was going to explode but i caught it before it happened. i think i got a short also..

playap07
06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
check the fuse yet? got same kit and the fuse bubbled up like it was going to explode but i caught it before it happened. i think i got a short also..

there is a diy on it some where around here ill go see if i can locate it!

playap07
06-22-2008, 11:52 AM
here, make sure all your wires are connected and good to go!

http://k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=36

itchy5
06-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Check the wiring. You might be grounding out somewhere.

this happens alot :violin:

pkpkpk
06-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

Fuses are good (changed to a good one too).

A bad/loose ground sounds like a good solution. But I'm using the wire harnesses provided by the kit, so they're all connected to the ECU fuse box.

I'll check the wiring again.

Fixed my HID's by replacing the relay, but this one isn't as intuitive!

pkpkpk
07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Alright guys, I rechecked EVERYTHING.

FUSES are good, Relays WORK, ground is good too

Basically, there's 12V drop everywhere on the circuit, even up to the wire harness to the bulbs, but ONCE the bulbs are connected, the voltage drop on the other bulb becomes 0V.

So I checked the power cable coming out of the relay to the 2 bulbs. 12V.

Does this EVEN make sense?

Chad
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Alright guys, I rechecked EVERYTHING.

FUSES are good, Relays WORK, ground is good too

Basically, there's 12V drop everywhere on the circuit, even up to the wire harness to the bulbs, but ONCE the bulbs are connected, the voltage drop on the other bulb becomes 0V.

So I checked the power cable coming out of the relay to the 2 bulbs. 12V.

Does this EVEN make sense?

It makes perfect sense, if there were a very loose or very corroded ground or power connection causing a high impedance it will show a no-load voltage of 12V, but as soon as a load is applied the very high series resistance causes the voltage to drop to nil.