PDA

View Full Version : Tein SS question...

J-SpecHatch
06-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Ok i have tein SS coilovers on my car and there all the way down in the front and about half in the back, if i wanted to go alittle lower would it be possible to buy shorter springs, or even remove the locking collars? Im lookin for suggestions guys so tell me what some of you have done.

spoon_ep3
06-22-2008, 10:25 AM
you will just end up blowing the struts or it will not last.

ep_hatcher_510
06-22-2008, 11:26 AM
You do not want to remove the collars, and going that low your going to almost no more shock travel, very bad.

Ba82Ep3
06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Shorter springs will likely be stiffer from TEIN. Last time i looked i remember them offering replacement springs of differing rates... but dont remember if there was a length or ID/OD spec mentioned.

I dont see why you couldnt surface grind the spring shorter. You arent using the OEM spring seats with the molded spring bushings. Cutting the spring shorter would move the location of the end of the coil, and where it rests in the seat. Since the TEIN springs are surface ground, it shouldnt matter if you cut some length off the coil. It would be a little work... but it would be FREE. lol

J-SpecHatch
06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys... I just see alot of ep's that are lower than mine and im dumped all the way. I really dont wanna buy a new setup so thats why i ask if i could just alter something.

bmyers4321
06-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Shorter springs will likely be stiffer from TEIN. Last time i looked i remember them offering replacement springs of differing rates... but dont remember if there was a length or ID/OD spec mentioned.

I dont see why you couldnt surface grind the spring shorter. You arent using the OEM spring seats with the molded spring bushings. Cutting the spring shorter would move the location of the end of the coil, and where it rests in the seat. Since the TEIN springs are surface ground, it shouldnt matter if you cut some length off the coil. It would be a little work... but it would be FREE. lol
do not ever cut springs.

Thanks for all the responses guys... I just see alot of ep's that are lower than mine and im dumped all the way. I really dont wanna buy a new setup so thats why i ask if i could just alter something.
just so you know being "dumped" will hurt the performance rather than make it better. plus dont forget about the steering rack creak.

Ba82Ep3
06-22-2008, 06:04 PM
do not ever cut springs.

:lol:

OK pops. I promise not to. Wheres my allowance BTW?

:mbiggrin:

goy091
06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
get air bags

true story

J-SpecHatch
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
do not ever cut springs.

just so you know being "dumped" will hurt the performance rather than make it better. plus dont forget about the steering rack creak.

Well im not really planning on racing or anything so performance is whatever, and my rack has never made a sound and I have been dumped for over twenty thousand miles on a 2002. Keep the comments to yourself please, unless there usefull of course.

liquid cooled
06-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Well im not really planning on racing or anything so performance is whatever, and my rack has never made a sound and I have been dumped for over twenty thousand miles on a 2002. Keep the comments to yourself please, unless there usefull of course.

He was trying to help you your just too stupid to realize that hes telling you useful information.

You will destroy the coilovers if you go lower, they are designed for certain spring rates, and ride heights.

If you dont have side skirts look into getting some it will lower your vehicles visual perspective without sacrificing your handling.

phister
06-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Swift Spring (http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.html) makes awesome replacement coilover springs. You get to choose your spring rate and everything. Or you can go with Eibach coilover springs too, eiither company is top notch IMO

J-SpecHatch
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Swift Spring (http://www.swiftsprings.com/index.html) makes awesome replacement coilover springs. You get to choose your spring rate and everything. Or you can go with Eibach coilover springs too, eiither company is top notch IMO

Thanks for the info bro... Ill look into these.

J-SpecHatch
06-23-2008, 11:45 AM
He was trying to help you your just too stupid to realize that hes telling you useful information.

You will destroy the coilovers if you go lower, they are designed for certain spring rates, and ride heights.

If you dont have side skirts look into getting some it will lower your vehicles visual perspective without sacrificing your handling.

The title of this thread isent, "Will I fuck up my coilovers if..." so again thats not useful at all to me. Oh and im not stupid for any reasons so stfu. Thanks.

MugsyTheGr8
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
The title of this thread isent, "Will I fuck up my coilovers if..." so again thats not useful at all to me. Oh and im not stupid for any reasons so stfu. Thanks.

he was just trying to help. you said you weren't interested in buying a new set-up, but if you break your current set-up, you would need to buy new suspension. regardless of whether or not you want looks or performance we assume you still want the ability to drive your car.

bmyers4321
06-23-2008, 01:43 PM
:lol:

OK pops. I promise not to. Wheres my allowance BTW?

:mbiggrin:
hey if you wanna go and do that fine by me. but when you come back and complain how shitty the ride is or get into and accident because of it i dont wanna see a thread or post from you crying about it.

sorry to tell you but he is right. by going to low you run the chance of destroying your dampers. then you are out big. the shock body is only ment to travel so much. but it is your time and money so do what you want.

Ba82Ep3
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
hey if you wanna go and do that fine by me. but when you come back and complain how shitty the ride is or get into and accident because of it i dont wanna see a thread or post from you crying about it

man i would cut my springs and send you what was cut off in your mail just to piss you off. apparently you have never had to mod oem parts because aftermarket parts just werent available. cuttin springs was the norm late 80s to get a lowered stance. who are you to say what is done is wrong? dude asked for ideas not permission. geez. pwned from a blackberry celli.

ep_hatcher_510
06-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Cut springs are bad :nono:

dichotomous
06-24-2008, 05:03 AM
so you want to be lower because someone else is lower? thats like asking how to be more stupid because someone you saw was much stupider than you.

I have the solution for you, you wont like it, but it will get you low....

airbags.

or

remove spring and bumpstop completely, ride on shock bodies.

you could always just teflon coat the bottom of your car and drag it on the ground, cause thats so cool, scraping the pavement and throwing sparks, this is the evolution of where cars should be, this is what we should mod them into, how low can you go? 9" wheels off an old british car will get you lower, just so you know. to be lowest you have to actually remove the wheels and brakes and roll on your hubs though, just spray some rubberized undercoating on them, it'll still work about as well as a frame-dragging drop.

jtyler05si
06-24-2008, 05:10 AM
so you want to be lower because someone else is lower? thats like asking how to be more stupid because someone you saw was much stupider than you.

I have the solution for you, you wont like it, but it will get you low....

airbags.

or

remove spring and bumpstop completely, ride on shock bodies.

you could always just teflon coat the bottom of your car and drag it on the ground, cause thats so cool, scraping the pavement and throwing sparks, this is the evolution of where cars should be, this is what we should mod them into, how low can you go? 9" wheels off an old british car will get you lower, just so you know. to be lowest you have to actually remove the wheels and brakes and roll on your hubs though, just spray some rubberized undercoating on them, it'll still work about as well as a frame-dragging drop.

this man knows...

trendsetter ftw!!!

seriously, dont drop it more.

post up some pics and we will tell you if your drop looks stupid...
then decide.

the lower you go the more problems you can have, especially if you are trying to go the cheap way out...in most cases it takes $$ to do it right...granted some of the guys on here could very well do it for little to no money because they have the expertise and know-how, the rest of us pony up the dough. LIFE

bmyers4321
06-24-2008, 05:45 AM
man i would cut my springs and send you what was cut off in your mail just to piss you off. apparently you have never had to mod oem parts because aftermarket parts just werent available. cuttin springs was the norm late 80s to get a lowered stance. who are you to say what is done is wrong? dude asked for ideas not permission. geez. pwned from a blackberry celli.
ok guy but we dont live in the 80's now do we. im telling you cutting springs to make your car lower is dangerous. first it will make you ride bouncy as hell because you are now changing the intended spring rate. also you are severely affecting the handling of the car to worse not better. and im telling him its a bad idea to do it. that doesnt mean he has to listen.

jtyler05si
06-24-2008, 06:40 AM
this thread is retarded...

bmyers is right, with technology today some things are made to perform one way and are not meant to be modded. cutting your springs not only cuts the height it will cut the life for sure...

just because i dont like my huge sidewall on my tire, i dont cut half an inch off the bead and wrap it on my new 17's...gotta get new tires. the end

but, its your car. Cut your damn springs. see for yourself. You will in turn hate it, wish you hadn't done it, and then spend money getting new springs. Everybody learns their lesson some way or another.

oh and if you do cut them, go buy some used ones for cheap somewhere and cut them. test it on shit products, not on your good-quality springs....

i'm out. have fun.

J-SpecHatch
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM
I got my answer with the swift springs. I dont get why you guys gotta be assholes and then act like your just being honest. Obviously im gonna do what I want with my car and if i were worried about something being damaged I wouldent do it. I do appreciate the concern and I have learned alot from you guys (ex. valve body damage from being too low.) but try bein alittle less harsh about it. Im just tryin to get help and opinions, not be called a bumbass and be talked to like a retard. Thanks to all that helped.

jtyler05si
06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
honestly its not you....

you just asked a question, i understand.

sorry for the arguements and what not...

oh can you still posts some pics, i would like to see the front/ back difference

dichotomous
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
yeah, not attacking you, just slammed cars in general

J-SpecHatch
06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Im at work now but ill be sure to get some pix up later on tonight when i can get some. Thanks again for understanding.

MugsyTheGr8
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM

did you also try putting sand bags in your trunk? fucking ricer

20CiviC02Si
06-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Well only issue you may have in swapping springs on the Tein Coilovers will be valving. Tein has a set valve rate for the spring rates. You may want to look at getting your coils revalved as well.

Also, when people offer some valuable information or insight on what it is you're planning on doing. Don't be such a dick when people warn you from their past mishaps. You should appreciate the fact that you have this site to go to, and people like bmyers here that are willing to help. Because you never know, next week you could be asking him questions about some future problems with your car.

Just an opinion, but you seriously need to keep an open mind. Good luck with the drop, and may god not let it destroy itself when you go lower.

ep_hatcher_510
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM

:rofl:

civictype_r04
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
You do not want to remove the collars, and going that low your going to almost no more shock travel, very bad.

Agreed.:nod:

bmyers4321
06-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Well only issue you may have in swapping springs on the Tein Coilovers will be valving. Tein has a set valve rate for the spring rates. You may want to look at getting your coils revalved as well.

Also, when people offer some valuable information or insight on what it is you're planning on doing. Don't be such a dick when people warn you from their past mishaps. You should appreciate the fact that you have this sight to go to, and people like bmyers here that are willing to help. Because you never know, next week you could be asking him questions about some future problems with your car.

Just an opinion, but you seriously need to keep an open mind. Good luck with the drop, and may god not let it destroy itself when you go lower.
thanks for backing up my statement. :thumb:

hey you going to the suja1 meet.

J-SpecHatch
06-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Currently getting HFP lip and jdm skirts, hopefully that will satisfy me and I wont wanna lower it anymore.

RON
06-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Currently getting HFP lip and jdm skirts, hopefully that will satisfy me and I wont wanna lower it anymore.

I think that will make you much happier then the other options!

20CiviC02Si
06-26-2008, 07:55 PM
thanks for backing up my statement. :thumb:

hey you going to the suja1 meet.Yeah i'll be there!

Ba82Ep3
06-29-2008, 11:54 PM
ok guy but we dont live in the 80's now do we. im telling you cutting springs to make your car lower is dangerous. first it will make you ride bouncy as hell because you are now changing the intended spring rate. also you are severely affecting the handling of the car to worse not better. and im telling him its a bad idea to do it. that doesnt mean he has to listen.

Cutting a spring does NOT change the stiffness of the spring (unless it is a progressive rate spring). The rate is unaffected... coil gauge (thickness) is what makes the difference in stiffness (of like compared materials). The bounce you feel is the OEM shocks inability to dampen the springs force, since the shocks stroke is well out of spec and shortened. Please read before you post opinion as fact. Im asking you to do that, but i know it doesnt mean you have to listen... :mrolleyes:

did you also try putting sand bags in your trunk? fucking ricer

And you say this like you know me. HA. When you were watching power rangers while eating cinnamon raisin oatmeal and sippin on HI-C... i was BUILDING cars. Ricer? More like... someone thats unafraid to break the mold and do what I like/wanted... even before it was commercially available. Sand bags. Geez man. Please. Think before you type. You have all the time in the world before you click "submit reply" ... so that whack comment has no excuse.

:lalala:

NOW. Can we move on past this E Thug-a-Thon? Hopefully the TS has decided what he wants to do... and we have all helped him in some way.

dichotomous
06-30-2008, 10:08 AM
cuttng springs does change their rate, now instead of 10 coils at that rate you have 8, it will go up

Ba82Ep3
06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
NO NO NO. The thickness of the coil is what determines spring rate in a linear rate spring (again comparing coil size of similar material). Cutting the spring shorter doesnt affect its rate... just its LENGTH (also affecting any preload that may have been designed into the setup). The only negative in cutting a linear ground spring is you lose the prepped surface ground coil for either end of the spring. Not all springs are designed like this. The OEM EP front spring is a fine example of this. The coils arent surface ground but instead, rely on a rubber/plastic bump-mount. Its simply a cheaper design to mass produce with less noise during use. Linear TEIN springs that have been so coiled and surface ground would lose this prepped coil if cut short, and may cock at an angle once mounted on the spring perch and the strut/shock reaches full extension releasing the spring preload. The rate itself would NOT be changed.

I swear man some people just dont listen unless you turn into a total prick or wave some kind of formal paperwork in front of their face with a big F(ail) on it proving them they are wrong.

:tsk: