PDA

View Full Version : Spring/strut install

shortstop
06-22-2008, 01:02 PM
i am waiting for my springs/struts to come in. it will be my first install by myself (unless i can get my buddy to help) but i was wondering if anyone wanted a write up for a sticky or if we already had one and not to worry about it.

shadowmd
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
i don't have the time to write up a diy itself atm. but its EASY! just take ur time. where are u doing it? a shop with lifts and air tools etc? or drive way?

ep_hatcher_510
06-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Is a pretty straight forward install, i was like you at first but i said F it, i went ahead anyways without much knowledge on what to do and to my suprise it was super easy.

OO and i advise you to use something to hold up your knuckle & watch out for your axles coming out because it can be a 1 minute fix or a few hours headache.

Zeth
06-22-2008, 02:38 PM
everyone told me to just go for it as long as you have the right tools but im still waiting on my progress competition coils.... they telling me they should have them the first week of july:mrolleyes:.... im having someone help me with instal anyway.

shortstop
06-22-2008, 03:09 PM
ok. i am doing it in a drive way unfortunately but i have heard its easy. as for the write up i meant for me to do one with pics for other people who are in the same situation i am in. Like i would take pics of what to do, what not to do (hopefully i dont get much of this)

3dkahuna
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
what type of spring compressor do you guys recommend if changing out the springs? such as manufacturer?

jtyler05si
06-24-2008, 08:55 AM
spring compressor...who has a spring compressor at home?
well okay bad question, i am sure some of you people on this site have one... so how about the rest of us that have an impact wrench as our most high tech/complicated tool.

shadowmd
06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
i didnt need a spring compressor when i took off my stock springs. its a nice security, but there wasn't a lot of tension on them. if u want one, u can go to advance auto or autozone and rent one. u get ur money back when u return it

jtyler05si
06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
i didnt need a spring compressor when i took off my stock springs. its a nice security, but there wasn't a lot of tension on them. if u want one, u can go to advance auto or autozone and rent one. u get ur money back when u return it

all of it????

wouldnt they want some kind of profit or something?

shadowmd
06-24-2008, 09:04 AM
yea i got all of it back. i rented one but didnt need it. its a security deposit. i was shocked when they gave me all my money back lol

jw1
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I strongly recommend using a spring compressor. I picked up one of the Harbor Freight ones for like $30 or you can just borrow the ones from Autozone. I use either an air impact wrench or a Dewalt cordless to tighten/loosen the compressors.

I also use a pickle fork to pop the tie rods and keep a few spare tie rod boots handy and a large socket to put them on with as it makes the job much faster.

When you are done you are going to need to adjust the toe or take it to an alignment shop as ride changes causes the toe to change a lot. The lower your car goes the more it toes in.

Your axles will pop out. Baffled the sh!t out of me the first time. After a while, you realize that they are not that hard to get back in so I wouldn't worry about that too much.