PDA

View Full Version : Rim Cleaning

canadianep
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I live in Canada and own performance rims.
I do not drive them in the winter.

I want to know if I only drive them during the summer, do I have to worry about the rims getting pitted?
Do I have to wash the rims often?
at the end of each season i take engine degreaser (oil free) and spend about 15 minutes on each rim to make sure that there is no dirt on them through the winter.

Any suggestions, ideas?

bmyers4321
06-23-2008, 01:54 PM
not cleaning them could result in brake dust being a pita to get off. i would clean them when you wash your car. i always do. car wash soap does the trick well :mbiggrin:

EPandaman29
06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
car wash soap does do the trick but if you really wanna get them clean, meguiars has a wheel polish cleaner that makes any rim look sparkling.

kevin1234
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
car wash soap does do the trick but if you really wanna get them clean, meguiars has a wheel polish cleaner that makes any rim look sparkling.
When I cleaned mine, I first took the rim off the car. Then I used a pressure washer to get off the easy stuff. After that, I sprayed a heavy amount of Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner all over the rim. I used a brush on the easy to reach parts and a towel everywhere else. After that I pressure washed the rim one last time

I was only looking to get some of the brake dust off but when I was done, it looked brand new. I really wish I had before and after pics because it was a big transformation for not much money or effort.

thaseint
06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
When I cleaned mine, I first took the rim off the car. Then I used a pressure washer to get off the easy stuff. After that, I sprayed a heavy amount of Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner all over the rim. I used a brush on the easy to reach parts and a towel everywhere else. After that I pressure washed the rim one last time

I was only looking to get some of the brake dust off but when I was done, it looked brand new. I really wish I had before and after pics because it was a big transformation for not much money or effort.

I use pretty much the same process, except without a pressure washer. Just a good scrubbing with a sponge and some diluted degreaser or wheel cleaner. For more stubborn brake dust or road tar I might even use some retired clay. After that I apply p21s wheel gel to make cleaning the wheels even easier between the more thorough cleanings.

I usually do this process when I rotate my tires. :mcool:

JohnyBlaze
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I wax my rims too -- is that overkill? Would waxing rims help keep them looking good, or does it get more brake dust stuck to it?