PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber hood question

eternal135
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
i just picked up a carbon fiber hood, and i was reading that you are suppossed yo use hood pins, i was wondering if it is really necessary to use them.
Do any of you guys with a carbon fibre hood use hood pins?

Also do you just wash and clean it like you would the rest of your car?

oneglory
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
what kind of hood?

RollinCivic
06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Hood pins are not necessary on carbon fiber hoods but sometimes are necessary for high speed applications. It also depends how the latch on the hood is built. Hood pins are mostly for extra protection in case the latch breaks off of the rivets that most hoods use. Furthermore,most people just use hood pins to look cool. But on the contrary they do have a use.

I would put extra attention towards the carbon fiber hood, such as making sure it always has a nice coat of wax on it, maybe clay-baring it pretty often and being very careful with the clear coat. I mean it is a carbon fiber hood, you should take care of it since you want it always to be glossy and have a deep shine so the carbon fiber really stands out.

skoolnu
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
i have a hatch, but i wash and wax it like the rest of the car. Its a year old now and still looks great.

eternal135
06-24-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks for the replys, but its a VIS carbon fiber hood.
And what do you mean they arent necessary except for high speed how high of speed are we talking about.
And im not sure but i dont think that hood pins are that expensive and they cant be that hard to put on so i guess i minus well right?

itchy5
06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
thanks for the replys, but its a VIS carbon fiber hood.
And what do you mean they arent necessary except for high speed how high of speed are we talking about.

like 3 digit speed fast. racing applications where the hood could possibly pop off the latch and slam into the windshield.

Mini-Odyssey05
06-25-2008, 12:15 AM
i have a VIS CF hood and no hood pins... been 2 years and nothing has happened (knock on wood). as long as you dont go super fast, you should be fine. i've only been up to 3 digit numbers like twice since i've had it.

i cruise 5 hours up to college at an average of 80, so VIS should def. not be a problem.

oogy-boogy
06-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Moved...

phister
06-25-2008, 05:03 AM
before putting it on I would take it to a paint shop and put an extra layer of clear coat on it, it'll add 3+ years to the hood. Thats what some cf companies recommend. CF hoods usually start to fade and oxidize regularly between 3-5 years so adding the extra coat will make it last maybe 7 years or more.

eternal135
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
i take it up pretty fast sometimes like 125-135 which i know is not the smartest thing to do but do you think it will be ok at that speed because its not like im going that fast for extended periods of time.

and thats what i was going to do about taking it to the shop because its kind of beat up and it just needs a new clearcoat, so does it need to be resanded and then reclearcoated or just a new clearcoat, and whats the most you would pay a shop to do that?

Mini-Odyssey05
06-26-2008, 01:30 AM
i take it up pretty fast sometimes like 125-135 which i know is not the smartest thing to do but do you think it will be ok at that speed because its not like im going that fast for extended periods of time.

well the two times i've gone up to highspeeds (probably the last since i got caught the last time i did that) with the CF hood, i reached 120... but really, i dont think it matters whether you're crusing at that speed or just reaching it and slowing down, if the latch on it sucks, then its gonna break lol.

but i have a VIS and it's fine, so i'd assume the same for yours... but no gurantees.

eternal135
06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
ok ill just hope for the best but how much would you pay to have someone reclearcoat it?

civictype_r04
06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
before putting it on I would take it to a paint shop and put an extra layer of clear coat on it, it'll add 3+ years to the hood. Thats what some cf companies recommend. CF hoods usually start to fade and oxidize regularly between 3-5 years so adding the extra coat will make it last maybe 7 years or more.

Thats good to know thanks for the heads up.

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a vis cf hood and I do not use hood pins.
I have actually never seen a CF hood fly up with no hood pins.
I have however seen CF hoods using hood pins and not the oem latch fly up.
There was a guy in a crx at the music city motorplex last year and his hood flew up at 90mph and he crashed into the other car when he slammed on the brakes and slid into the other guys lane.
Darn drag racers.
I did over 145(according to the speedometer, really more like 135ish cause the speedo is off by so much at that speed) with my CF hood and it did not fly up for the 14 seconds I was going that speed, or the 40 million hours it took me to get up to that speed
And i dont want no lectures about driving fast, theres an 8 mile stretch of road in clarksville that they started building for a car factory which was never finished because they decided not to build the plant.

eternal135
06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
no lectures here driving fast is ok as long as your not weaving in and out of cars, but yea thats good to know about the hood, at least i wont worry anymore,

and is it easy to give it a new clearcoat

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah, technically i couldn't even get a speeding ticket on the road because it is not labeled, it doesnt have a route number or anything its just a long piece of pavement.
edit: a new clearcoat should run you between 100 and 250 bucks in my opinion, you could do it yourself, you can get fairly good spray guns for like 90 bucks these days, if you have a compressor you could order some clear on the internet and give it a spray.
I would sand the hood first though because they come with a gelcoat not a clearcoat, the clearcoat wont really do its job if its ontop of a gel coat because the gel coat will still fade and peel and stuff

eternal135
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
yea i called a local autobody shop and they said it would run me about 250, but im going to wax an buff it out first to see if that helps it at all

i wish there were roads around here with no posted speed limit. :biggrin1:

dichotomous
06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
use a ton of wax, and the wax you use should be from a marine shop, boats are made from fiberglass and sometimes carbon fiber, so these waxes are designed with that material in mind, ask them about which would be best. and wax it a lot, there isnt any paint and its not likely clear coat or paint but actually the epoxy resin thats clear on your hood, this is not anywhere near as UV stable as paint, wax helps diffuse UV light so it will make it last longer.
dont use the hood when its snowy or really cold. I did (VIS racing mugen style hood) and it has huge cracks and splits and such where the cold air and hot engine made the clearing crack. be sure to use heat sheilding under the hood, that could have also contributed to my serious hood issues.
be very carefull about your windsheild sprayers, a majority of my cracks came from one of those.

dichotomous
06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
yeah, technically i couldn't even get a speeding ticket on the road because it is not labeled, it doesnt have a route number or anything its just a long piece of pavement.
edit: a new clearcoat should run you between 100 and 250 bucks in my opinion, you could do it yourself, you can get fairly good spray guns for like 90 bucks these days, if you have a compressor you could order some clear on the internet and give it a spray.
I would sand the hood first though because they come with a gelcoat not a clearcoat, the clearcoat wont really do its job if its ontop of a gel coat because the gel coat will still fade and peel and stuff

you state has speed limits for unmarked roads, and you could easily get a "careless and negligent" or "wreckless driving" ticket, which can be worse, not trying to put sand in your panties again (though it appears I am good at that) but I'd rather you not get tossed in jail for doing a buck twenty down an unmarked backroad with a state limit of 50mph

v1c10us
06-28-2008, 12:00 AM
well, it was more than a buck twenty.
But no they can't actually give me a ticket, I understand what your saying but I guess its hard to grasp the remoteness of this asphalt.
It would be akin to owning 40 acres of plainsland and putting asphalt on it and then taking your car there and then a cop showing up and giving you a speeding ticket.
Thats like saying I can get a speeding ticket in my driveway, if it were long enough.
Im sure there are civil violations i could incurr, but no traffic violations.
Its no biggy though cause theres no way in fuck a cop would drive 80 miles away from the nearest gas station and then take a muddy dirt road thats almost overgrown with bush to a mound of dirt with a road next to it.

SIck03
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
i wish i had something like that!!

I have a vis cf hood and I do not use hood pins.
I have actually never seen a CF hood fly up with no hood pins.
I have however seen CF hoods using hood pins and not the oem latch fly up.
There was a guy in a crx at the music city motorplex last year and his hood flew up at 90mph and he crashed into the other car when he slammed on the brakes and slid into the other guys lane.
Darn drag racers.
I did over 145(according to the speedometer, really more like 135ish cause the speedo is off by so much at that speed) with my CF hood and it did not fly up for the 14 seconds I was going that speed, or the 40 million hours it took me to get up to that speed
And i dont want no lectures about driving fast, theres an 8 mile stretch of road in clarksville that they started building for a car factory which was never finished because they decided not to build the plant.

rapgonrn
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
i've been taking good care of my hood (VIS) but along the top side its starting to crack... my friend said to wetsand it, and reapply the clear coat. are there other ways of going at it?