PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Brake lines safety on the EP3

soncep
06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello.

I will install stainless lines and have read all about the safety of using them: IE, the routing, the twisting, the scuffing etc etc... So i am all set to install them to avoir failiure du to poor installation.

Now, paranoid as i am, I am looking at the fluid schema for the ABS system and have discovered that there are 2 lines comming out of the Master going to the ABS and then the abs takes care of the rest and sends the fluid to the four calipers). My question is this.

What will the result be if one of the lines (line that goes to the caliper) failes since there is no proportioning valve on our cars?

Thanks for any info or even experiance.

I would hate to loos all my brakes because of a stainless line failiure.

D

bunk
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I would be more worried about one of our OEM lines failing before worrying about a SS line.

Just my $.02

phister
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
our stock brake lines are good enough as it is but ss lines shouldnt cause any problems. I say just get better pads and use some brake fluid like from Motul or ATE Super Blue fluid and call it a day.

bunk
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
our stock brake lines are good enough as it is but ss lines shouldnt cause any problems. I say just get better pads and use some brake fluid like from Motul or ATE Super Blue fluid and call it a day.

^^^ Yeah, that.

I have the Hawk HPS' on OEM disks with ATE Super Blue and I love it.

soncep
06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It's verry interresting to know what kind of setup you guys are running. I will remember.

But for now, i have all the parts, it's just a question of installing and i am semi hesitant on the SS lines.

So any one know the outcome of one brake line failiure on this kind of system?

Ps... I got xdrilled disks, Kevlar/semi metalic pads and SS brake lines with a can of Red engine enamle in case someone is curious about this.

You can see the outcome on the DIY sections soon.

04cvcsi
06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
So any one know the outcome of one brake line failiure on this kind of system?

yep, i can. for some reason, my driver side rear SS brake line ruptured and leaked out all the fluid. when that had happened, my brakes were pretty much useless. if you don't know what it feels like to not have brake fluid....it's a horrible feeling. the parking brake light came on intermittently, then constantly on. i had to use my hand brakes to slow down my car because my brake pedal was basically useless.

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 01:00 AM
All cars pretty much use a cross routing system(just made up that labeling myself, but thats basically what it is)
the front left and rear right brake and front right and rear left are seperate.
edit: yes, if the parking brake light comes on it means your fluid is low, and then it goes away and you drive somewhere and slam on the brakes and boy oh boy is it hard to get the car to stop....
and then you get a bunch of oxygen in your lines and you have to bleed the brakes. PITA for sure.

soncep
06-26-2008, 06:14 AM
This is not what i wanted to hear.
Dam... Stupid car... My mazda 323 1992 had a cross feed valve that would allow me to have some brakes even if one of the lines broke. And it was a 1992 so one of the lines broke but i still had brakes.
D

phister
06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
I think you'll be fine installing the SS lines... Which brand did you get btw? I have a set I got from Corsportusa that I havent installed yet, its been sitting in my box of parts to be installed on my car. I'll probably install them here sometime during the summer.

KeNnYtAkEr
06-26-2008, 06:34 AM
I've had my Stainless Steel brake lines for 4 years now and I drive all 4 season incl. Canadian winters ( tons of salt all over ) and no issues. Using it with Super Blue fluid too. Works great. with sotck rotors and Hawk HPS rear and Hawk HP+ front pads

04cvcsi
06-26-2008, 07:37 AM
I think you'll be fine installing the SS lines... Which brand did you get btw? I have a set I got from Corsportusa that I havent installed yet, its been sitting in my box of parts to be installed on my car. I'll probably install them here sometime during the summer.
hehe, i just got a new set of SS clutch and brake lines from corsport that i've yet to install too

talonXracer
06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Make sure the SS lines have a plastic sleeve over them. This keeps the road debris from getting between the SS and the teflon liner and wearing thru. This is why non-covered lines are not legal for cars that are registered for public road useage.

phister
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah I just installled my corsportusa.com (Manufactured by TechnaFit) ones with the red sleeves on them. Fairly easy install. Thought I'd put them on and and replace my brake fluid with ATE Super Blue since I was taking my wheels off to get them painted. I'll have pics up of how they look once I have my wheels back on.

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Make sure the SS lines have a plastic sleeve over them. This keeps the road debris from getting between the SS and the teflon liner and wearing thru. This is why non-covered lines are not legal for cars that are registered for public road useage.

do most SS lines have this? I got the russel SS lines and there is no plastic sleeve?
also, as a reparation what is your opinion on heat shrink tubing over them as mine did not come with the sleeves.
If thats a no no, what would be the best thing to do to seal them off from grit?

talonXracer
06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
You can coat them with any of the tool handle liquid coatings. It may be rather hard to get heat shrink over the ends.

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I have several sizes of heat shrink from modding PC's some of which I'm pretty sure I could get over the line and their plenty long enough, although a liquid coating would probably make a better seal and I wouldn't have to take the lines off.

04cvcsi
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
i got mine w/ sleeves from corsport (extra $5)

NitroBoarder
06-27-2008, 10:45 AM

IMO, if you're going to upgrade only 1 component of your brake system, SS lines are by far the best upgrade. what good will better pads or better fluid do if your brake lines still expand and contract due to temperature change? They will give you better stopping power, but SS lines will improve the overall feel of your brake pedal and make them feel a lot less mushy, and more responsive.