PDA

View Full Version : potential engine swap, help

C4pT X
06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Alright so both my cams are bad, including 2 out of the 6 exhaust rockers i believe. i dont know how it happened but apparently i mis shifted at 100mph and my engine started sounding more and more like a lawn mower. the cams are shreaded and i have debris in the block and oil pan. honda said it would be about 3k for parts and labor. would it be a better option to just swap the motor with another k20a3. today sucks.

ps. im not sure what thread this post would fit

slo_k20
06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
get a k24a1 and get it installed by someone other than honda

C4pT X
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
honda was going to fix the problem, not do the engine swap. im looking to get my car running atm, no power gains.

Chazwick05
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
that would be absolutely ridiculous to spend 3 grand on another stock motor. if you need the car for work purposes, then rent a kia for like 25 bucks a day, for a week.

pm papituyo, his name is dave. tell him you need a k24a1 shipped to your location.

all you need is the cr-v passenger side motor mount bracket, which is like 30 bucks or so. you won't need to buy any other part. youll want to swap over your thermostat housing, manifolds, TB, alternator, starter, and a/c system. everything else native to the k24a1 can stay there.

you can use your stock ecu, and even your stock injectors. though people like davis said you need type-s injectors (310cc) the stock 270cc injectors have been reported to work fine.

the motor is around 1300 shipped, and installation shouldn't be that much, so at MOST you're spending 2 grand in total, if you were to have someone install it for you. this way, you just saved yourself a thousand dollars, and got a lot more torque out of the situation.

C4pT X
06-25-2008, 10:35 PM
thank you for your advice, im gonna be looking into this. is k20a.org the best bet to get a k series motor?

frm_808
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
yes. just research and try not to post anything that been repeated and ull be fine.

socmex7
06-25-2008, 11:01 PM
that would be absolutely ridiculous to spend 3 grand on another stock motor. if you need the car for work purposes, then rent a kia for like 25 bucks a day, for a week.

pm papituyo, his name is dave. tell him you need a k24a1 shipped to your location.

all you need is the cr-v passenger side motor mount bracket, which is like 30 bucks or so. you won't need to buy any other part. youll want to swap over your thermostat housing, manifolds, TB, alternator, starter, and a/c system. everything else native to the k24a1 can stay there.

you can use your stock ecu, and even your stock injectors. though people like davis said you need type-s injectors (310cc) the stock 270cc injectors have been reported to work fine.

the motor is around 1300 shipped, and installation shouldn't be that much, so at MOST you're spending 2 grand in total, if you were to have someone install it for you. this way, you just saved yourself a thousand dollars, and got a lot more torque out of the situation.

listen to this man! or splurge and get the K24a2... :mtongue:

Chazwick05
06-25-2008, 11:04 PM
thank you for your advice, im gonna be looking into this. is k20a.org the best bet to get a k series motor?

papituyo is on ephatch, and he's from florida (like you) so if you're close enough, maybe you could have him put the motor in (since he's done a TON) and pay him. he won't charge you ridiculous prices like a stealership would

C4pT X
06-26-2008, 10:44 PM
im in the process of talking to papituyo, thanks for the advice and id appreciate any other heads up on a k24a1 swap.

lldiesel386ll
06-26-2008, 10:59 PM
listen to this man! or splurge and get the K24a2... :mtongue:

well the problem behind splurging for a k24a2 is the splurging for additional things--like k pro for example

the k24a1 would be a good budget-minded choice :thumb:
later on there is plenty of potential behind the block:mbiggrin:

C4pT X
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
im planning on keeping the stock header, and just removing the sway bar. what are the results of using 270cc's with the k24a1? is this motor turbo friendly?

02nhbpep3
06-27-2008, 05:49 AM
im planning on keeping the stock header, and just removing the sway bar. what are the results of using 270cc's with the k24a1? is this motor turbo friendly?

you can run the 270's only as long as you don't have any other mods done i.e. exhaust, intake ect. And yes this motor is very boost friendly being it is the lowest compression k-series and many guys are passing the 400 mark as a d.d.

Just got my k24a1 from Dave on wed, if you do decide to get a new longblock don't look anywhere else, hes a great guy to deal with.

Gilmour
06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
honda was going to fix the problem, not do the engine swap. im looking to get my car running atm, no power gains.

If your not looking for power gains, then start a WTB a K20a3 $400.00 I'm sure someone will want to make some room in there garage.

C4pT X
06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
you can run the 270's only as long as you don't have any other mods done i.e. exhaust, intake ect. And yes this motor is very boost friendly being it is the lowest compression k-series and many guys are passing the 400 mark as a d.d.

Just got my k24a1 from Dave on wed, if you do decide to get a new longblock don't look anywhere else, hes a great guy to deal with.

Have u started the swap yet? If so how smooth is it going, I read that you could get it done in under a weekend.

koftaboy
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
how dose a K24A1 head sound on a K20A3 block with kPRO and some modss???????