PDA

View Full Version : Q horsepower vs royal purple motor oil

civicsipower03
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Which one is better i heard a lot of stories thet royal purple couses smoke to fly out of your muffler????

SinisterCivicSi
06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
there is speculation that rp will find any type of opening and leak out of it but i havent had any issues with rp since i have been using it. IMHO its a good oil - just make sure you get the right weight for your setup.

i used to have mobil1 and it burned up easily...

i am not familiar with Q hp.

Rep
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I've never noticed a difference with any oil brands ever.

william
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
if you have an engine that burns a little conventional oil between changes, and switch to synthetic, expect to burn lots of oil. So only if your engine is in rough shape will you burn allot of oil.

STP03BlueSI
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Mine maybe burns 1/2 quart of oil...but thats if I track run it to.

I am thinking about using the 0w20 mobil 1.:mredface:

Anyone ever use it?

jtyler05si
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM

this.

i switched to synthetic pretty early on because i figured its a new car it wont leak oil. i have used only mobil 1 5w-30 since forever. i dont switch because i dont have any problems with it.

4angrybadgers
06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Which one is better i heard a lot of stories thet royal purple couses smoke to fly out of your muffler????

My advice: quit listening to idiots.

You can find endless debate on which brand of oil is better. I've been using Royal Purple 5w-30 for around a year now and I've never had any burnoff issues. Choosing the proper weight is more important than the brand.

dann_04
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Namebrand Synthetic oils are pretty much the same. If you do high rpms on a regular basis you are going to burn oil. Honda says anything under 995cc(close to 1 liter) per 1000 miles is acceptable. I do not agree, but the weight is going to make more of a difference than the brand. Get a namebrand oil with the proper weight and you will be fine. Also realize that as you get into high miles you will burn more as the rings wear down.

Rep
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
this.

i switched to synthetic pretty early on because i figured its a new car it wont leak oil. i have used only mobil 1 5w-30 since forever. i dont switch because i dont have any problems with it.
I've gone back and forth between synthetic and traditional motor oil on high mileage cars. No difference, didn't burn more oil between oil changes, nothing.

I got tired of throwing money away and I just use traditional Mobil 1 or whatever it is at Wal-Mart that's $10-$15 for a jug of it and a "Super-Tech" oil filter for like $2.50.

It seems synthetic may not suspend contaminants as quickly as traditional oil, but I can't verify if that's due to different driving conditions at the time, or just the difference in hue of synthetic. Maybe, just maybe, I could get away with going for longer on synthetic, but the dollar per mileage per oil change ratio is still against me with synthetic.

Poppycock!

K-Shark
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Rp Ftw!

Rep
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Rp Ftw!
Dyno before and after RP vs any regular brand you'd like to pick?

20CiviC02Si
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I have been using Royal Purple for almost 2 years now and over 80,000 miles with it. No problems at all with burning. I may loose 1/8 qt in between oil changes. Car is sitting at about 105k miles.

Ygrene
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been using RP for about a year and a half. I've 130k on the motor and I burn quite a bit of oil. I'm constantly checking it because I've burned as much as 2 qts in 2k miles. All of my driving is highway so I spend alot of time around 4k and i attribute it to that. I've done compression tests and the engine passed with flying colors. Additionally, I've never been able to find any leaks anywhere; my garage floor is dry. So yeah.....I dunno.

devious05
06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
i swithced to rp about 1,500 miles ago with no issues. i think it runs a little smoother

3dkahuna
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't know too much about either, but have been trying to read up on which one would be considered better. a lot of people stand by royal purple. I just recently saw some ads for Q with the Ferrari. I actually laughed at it the first time I saw it.

EPandaman29
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
i use quaker state cuz its cheap...but supposedly Royal purple has a better synthetic "film" thus better for your engine. OH i think it may have more or better additives? not too sure though, but if i had to pick one, it would be RP!!

talonXracer
06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I used RP and it went thru the engine very quickly, I liked the way it allowed the engine to rev much quicker than Mobil1. It burns about the same as Mobil1 though. I now use the Amsoil 5w40 and love it. Excellent protection, allows quick rev's like RP and doesnt burn off or find leaks as quickly as RP.

And I am sorry, anything with "Quaker State" in it's name is garbage IMHO.

dragon208
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
RP made a big difference.. and i use to use Mobile 1, Castrol, etc.. nothing beats RP.. and i can get them CHEAP too.. lol.. that's why i'm sticking to RP...

beechstreet
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
That Q stuff is a group III synthetic while RP is group IV. if you wanna go with a decent group III synthetic for a good price, check out Pennzoil Platinum or the Valvoline MaxLife because they are both regarded as decent synthetics that are only 99 cents per quart at Kragen (after rebate).

SiR R8TD
06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
That Q stuff is a group III synthetic while RP is group IV. if you wanna go with a decent group III synthetic for a good price, check out Pennzoil Platinum or the Valvoline MaxLife because they are both regarded as decent synthetics that are only 99 cents per quart at Kragen (after rebate).

What group is Mobil1? By the way your avi is awesome...LMAO!!!

SinisterCivicSi
06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I used RP and it went thru the engine very quickly, I liked the way it allowed the engine to rev much quicker than Mobil1. It burns about the same as Mobil1 though. I now use the Amsoil 5w40 and love it. Excellent protection, allows quick rev's like RP and doesnt burn off or find leaks as quickly as RP.

And I am sorry, anything with "Quaker State" in it's name is garbage IMHO.

so where can you get amsoil... online only? how much is it normally?

RTE117
06-26-2008, 09:01 PM
The best oil is the one that returns the best UOA; unfortunately, most people don't want to go through the hassle of getting a UOA. If you're comparing the same groups (Group II with Group II, III with III, etc), you can't really go wrong with anything as long as it has the latest API rating.

IMO, unless you are 1. towing, 2. racing, 3. turbocharged, or 4. subjected to extreme climates, you won't benefit a ton from a Group IV or V fully synthetic oil, but they are known to be cleaner; nonetheless, if you change your oil regularly, you can't go wrong, but a UOA is the best way to determine your optimal oil - not by name or price.

RTE117
06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
What group is Mobil1? By the way your avi is awesome...LMAO!!!

Group III. It used to be GIV. It's still a good oil, but it's a GIII with a GIV price tag.

Edit, oh and yeah, fuck RP. I'd never use it. Kendall and Redline FTW.

02_epdriver
06-26-2008, 09:08 PM
so where can you get amsoil... online only? how much is it normally?

I've known that sometimes Napa can carry it or google amsoil and find a local distributor that you may be able to get it from.

I love the 5w40 amsoil. Been using it for a little bit now, nothing beats it.

PAPITUYO326
06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I remember seeing a Dyno plot on K20a where a car that normally ran with AMSOIL switched to Q horsepower and lost a good bit of hp. It was a highly built N/A motor Bseries motor making 260ish whp. It lost 3-7 hp throughout the board.

Stay away from QS.

Ive run Mobil 1 and RP. I liked RP a bit more. Going to try Amsoil soon.

talonXracer
06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
I have found Amsoil at a semi-local CarQuest. I bought a case and did a oil change(w/M110 filter). I have at least 4K on this oil change now and have only used 1 quart of oil, this is far better than the three quarts I would have had to add if I used Mobil1 or the 4 quarts if I used RP. Mobil1 and RP do not have a long life with high RPM's, it vaporizes easily and quickly and goes thru the PCV system and is burned.

NitroBoarder
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I've known that sometimes Napa can carry it or google amsoil and find a local distributor that you may be able to get it from.

I love the 5w40 amsoil. Been using it for a little bit now, nothing beats it.

I keep hearing AMSOIL is good for our motors. Think I'll use it for my next change...just gotta use the rest of my mobil 1 first.

Kanzen Taichou
06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Mine maybe burns 1/2 quart of oil...but thats if I track run it to.

I am thinking about using the 0w20 mobil 1.:mredface:

Anyone ever use it?

Yea, well I'm actually using 0w30... but it seems to run fine.. gas mileage is improved only a fraction; but it does feel lighter.... i'm thinking about switching back to 5w20 when i do the nxt oil change, or maybe I'll give it an extended review...

william
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I was using Motul 300v, 5-30 weight. Its very very nice, but too expensive, now i'm switching to motul 3100, its still a synthetic, but much cheaper. I dont think you can go too wrong with oil that has the most recent API rating.

funny thing about convetional and synthetic. I ran mobil 1 in my 91 civic SI, and it burned 2-3 liters in 5000km, switched to quakerstate high milage, and now it only burns 1-2 liters between changes. Yeah its still an oil burning high milage slut, but at least now its better. Conventional oil FTW, if your car is beat.

Rep
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
i use quaker state cuz its cheap...but supposedly Royal purple has a better synthetic "film" thus better for your engine. OH i think it may have more or better additives? not too sure though, but if i had to pick one, it would be RP!!
I'd stay away from quaker state and Pennsoil. It has perrafin (spelling) in it that makes weird crap in the motor. A friend of mine used Quaker state in his truck for the life of it, and around 200,000 miles he has waxy stellagtites (ice cicles) on the roof of his valve covers.

showoff3civic
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
i burn around a quart of rp every 3k miles but that is to be expected when your hitting 9k rpms

sleepy_ep
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I just changed from RP to Quaker State HP, Quaker is still as gold as when I put it in. :meek:

Bificus
06-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Yea, well I'm actually using 0w30... but it seems to run fine.. gas mileage is improved only a fraction; but it does feel lighter.... i'm thinking about switching back to 5w20 when i do the nxt oil change, or maybe I'll give it an extended review...
I would use 0-30 in winter but never in summer. I also would say no 20 weight oils either, not heavy enough to protect the engine parts like Cams for instance.

frm_808
06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
as long as its name brand and the right weight, everyone will be fine. end of story

Ep3T0n3y
06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
When i worked at a boat marina, all the boat mechanics (one raced boats for 15 years and bikes for 10, the other raced stock cars for 6 years) used royal purple.

sLiCk
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been using RP for the last 3 years and no problems. Engine is all dry. Not a hint of oil leak anywhere. I lose 0.5qt MAX between oil changes and this is with a fair amount of autox and track days. Plus I can get it dirt cheap locally.

weltall
06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
i used to run mobil 1 10w30 (like you should for boosted setups

after the full race kit i stayed with mobil 1 and dynoed it (at the same time i shitcanned gm synchro mesh in the tranny and went with RP tranny oil)

dynoed the car and the turbo shit its self (but my notchiness in the tranny was non existent)

when i replaced the turbo i switched to eneos 10w30 (little blow by)

after getting my motor back due to some botched head studs i went to napa and the only good stuff they had was RP oil (ehhh ill try it )

ill find out with due time how well it does in my car

spoon_ep3
06-28-2008, 10:29 PM
amsoil or royal purple for me.

v1c10us
06-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I've only ever noticed one oil make a noticeable difference
Shell Rotella with a teaspoon of molly powder
Its amazing and its all I will ever use.
I do notice significant differences between weights of oil though.
Im interested in trying one of those motor oils that are designed for motorcycles where the transmission and engine share the same fluid.
They have to have loads of extra stuff in them to keep it from frothing up in the tranny so It might be worth investigating.

edit: the fact that bon jovi was on the q horsepower commercial means that I want to take a piss in the fluid.

QUEEN
06-30-2008, 02:02 AM
I only use royal purple in my car.

So far, no complaints and it works great.

stepintoliquid
06-30-2008, 02:21 AM
I just changed from RP to Quaker State HP, Quaker is still as gold as when I put it in. :meek:

ive noticed the same since switching the q horsepower.... the oil seems to retains its same original color. also its super cheap at wal mart.... 20 bucks for 5 quarts.

i used to use mobil1 and rp alot, both in 10w-30. i havent really noticed much of a difference between any of them, except that the rp put a bigger dent in my wallet. oh and also the q horsepower didnt seem to burn off as much.

sleepy_ep
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
ive noticed the same since switching the q horsepower.... the oil seems to retains its same original color. also its super cheap at wal mart.... 20 bucks for 5 quarts.

i used to use mobil1 and rp alot, both in 10w-30. i havent really noticed much of a difference between any of them, except that the rp put a bigger dent in my wallet. oh and also the q horsepower didnt seem to burn off as much.

yeah man Q FTW I don't even want to change my oil, its still full and gold its almost 4500 miles.

I also Hardly ever it vtec

Blaine
06-30-2008, 08:28 PM

EXACTLY...its a k20a3 honda motor, i would say put no oil in it and blow it up then swap it :mangel::mbiggrin:

dichotomous
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I've only ever noticed one oil make a noticeable difference
Shell Rotella with a teaspoon of molly powder
Its amazing and its all I will ever use.
I do notice significant differences between weights of oil though.
Im interested in trying one of those motor oils that are designed for motorcycles where the transmission and engine share the same fluid.
They have to have loads of extra stuff in them to keep it from frothing up in the tranny so It might be worth investigating.

edit: the fact that bon jovi was on the q horsepower commercial means that I want to take a piss in the fluid.

we are not supposed to agree, I should not be writing this....
I like rotella.
I use it in my car and my bike, so as for "trying one of those motor oils that are designed for motorcycles where the transmission and engine share the same fluid" you will be happily pleased to know that you ARE doing that, and in fact most message boards for sportbikes will frequently point to the blue bottle rotella as the best way to save money on oil and still have an awsome oil. its worked really well for me.

yup, I run diesle oil in my gasoline sportbike and gasoline car, and it works great

v1c10us
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
we are not supposed to agree, I should not be writing this....
I like rotella.
I use it in my car and my bike, so as for "trying one of those motor oils that are designed for motorcycles where the transmission and engine share the same fluid" you will be happily pleased to know that you ARE doing that, and in fact most message boards for sportbikes will frequently point to the blue bottle rotella as the best way to save money on oil and still have an awsome oil. its worked really well for me.

yup, I run diesle oil in my gasoline sportbike and gasoline car, and it works great

yeah, my dads been running it in his turbo baja beetle for years, I love the stuff. With other oils including RP and Redline I've noticed that after about 3k miles stuff starts getting ticky, this doesnt happen with the rotella. Its gotta be tough oil cause its gotta go in tractors and semi's and all sorts of shit that takes a beating, so if its good enough for them, its good enough for my EP.

27rocks
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
This last oil change i've done i used RP and i must say i like it. I used to use nothing but Mobil 1, but for some reason it would just bun. I would have to add oil about half way thorough the milage in which i change my oil but i havent had that issue with RP. I really want to try Amsoil and that was my original intent but they were all out so i used RP.

02TWSI
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I've had mustang friends break transmissions with Royal Purple. 3 so far.

It's also caused my friends STi motor to "over do" itself and go pop :mconfused:

I use Mobil 1 10w30, as for transmission fluid I haven't touched it, but I trust it's stock honda and will stay stock, honda when it comes time!

27rocks
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM

It's also caused my friends STi motor to "over do" itself and go pop :mconfused:

I use Mobil 1 10w30, as for transmission fluid I haven't touched it, but I trust it's stock honda and will stay stock, honda when it comes time!

I dont think its the oil :mrolleyes:...

02TWSI
07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
It makes you stop and think, those guys race at irwindale twice every month.

Do you race your car ever? Do you ever push it hard?

Sometimes things just don't work out :llama:

27rocks
07-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Are you talking about the drag strip or the oval?? And yes i do push my car pretty hard at times. Ask Chankster he went on a drive with me once. And i sure as hell push my car for a hell of a longer period than a 1/4 mile (if thats what they do). I didn't upgrade my brakes to Rotoras just for show :mwink:

eBagatron
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM

if you believe its the oil, then you, my friend, are naive.

civic sir f1
07-04-2008, 05:28 PM
rp 5w/20 every 10000 miles i burn about 1 1/2 qt in that time and i make my motor work for every mile it runs. i drive my car like i stole it.

Soon2beEP3
07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
My advice: quit listening to idiots.

You can find endless debate on which brand of oil is better. I've been using Royal Purple 5w-30 for around a year now and I've never had any burnoff issues. Choosing the proper weight is more important than the brand.

Very true, i have used Mobil 1 then i switched to RP for the last oil change, also noticed no difference but i think i will switch back to Mobil 1, mainly due to all the speculation of how bad RP, idk i guess ill find out when i check my magnetized drain plug.

EP_404349
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
i never had any problem with rp in my ep but with my s2000 it burns a lot of oil but then again we are talking about a different weight class so yea... don't know anything about Q

riceboy075
07-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Smoke doesnt fly out of your exhaust, who ever told you that is lying. I use that stuff all the time before i started using Motul racing oil Fully sythetics, that stuff cost about 15 dollar a quart but the come only 2quart a bottle. use this stuff it very lean and gives you great performance.:mwink:

RTE117
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I use $2.20/quart Kendall 5W-20 (5W-30 in summer) and a Wix filter on the EP3. I just took my valve cover off last night, and with 119K on the odometer, there is no buildup and only a slight tarnish. Cams and valvetrain look wonderful.

The most important thing is to change it when it's due. Period.

But, checking valve lash without tappet feelers was an absolute PITA. lol

NatesSi04
07-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I just changed mine today with pennzoil platinum 5w-20 synthetic. Seems like some nice stuff so far, engine runs smoother and seems to rev smoother and quicker. I have a long trip through the mountains this week so I'll post an update when I get there and check the oil.

sleepy_ep
07-07-2008, 08:33 PM

1: Why is he using motor oil in his transmission?

2: Maybe he just forgot the drain plug?

riceboy075
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
1: Why is he using motor oil in his transmission?

2: Maybe he just forgot the drain plug?

there is nothing wrong with putting motor oil into the tranny

dichotomous
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
there is nothing wrong with putting motor oil into the tranny

yes there is, motor oil designed for gasoline cars (not motorcycles) lacks some of the very usefull chemicals and additives that help protect against wear that is common in a transmission but not in a motor.
you can do it, but that doesnt mean its to be done.

FCobra94
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
The best oil is the one that returns the best UOA; unfortunately, most people don't want to go through the hassle of getting a UOA. If you're comparing the same groups (Group II with Group II, III with III, etc), you can't really go wrong with anything as long as it has the latest API rating.

IMO, unless you are 1. towing, 2. racing, 3. turbocharged, or 4. subjected to extreme climates, you won't benefit a ton from a Group IV or V fully synthetic oil, but they are known to be cleaner; nonetheless, if you change your oil regularly, you can't go wrong, but a UOA is the best way to determine your optimal oil - not by name or price.

I agree with what these guys said.

Pennzoil Platinum has returned fantastic UOA's w/ higher OCI's in most cases and it's cheap :msmile:

SiR Kolos
08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Like a few years ago, I'll throw this out there: Motrlube

http://www.motrlube.com/catalog/item/1183627/676034.htm

Some of the Canadian guys might remember the write-ups from the CanadianDriver.com dude, who was running his VW with it for 100K+ with no oil changes period. He was getting it analyzed and everything... He stopped testing it because his 400K car got totalled.

Its at least the equivalent of Amsoil, etc. I'm not sure if it comes in 5w-30, but 10w-30 is probably better in the cold weather (according to some mechanics).