PDA

View Full Version : ATV Audio Moved, (could be a fiberglass and battery tutorial soon)

RON
06-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Here's the next glass project in progression, Just started last weekend ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2368.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2367.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2429.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2435-1.jpg

Gear used:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2433.jpg

where did you get those amps! I am going to be doing a stereo on my golf cart soon! What do those push? Where did you get them? Are you going to be bridging them?

my teaser!!!
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/ronfort2000/171707175111_0_BG.jpg

Chad
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
They are old-skool Sony's I picked up off of DIYMA for 30 bucks shipped and the shipper threw in one of those little Navone one-chip-wonder amps for free! I actually used the Navone FIRST (the free one) in the EP! It powers the stock rear speakers that are used for the Ham radio, the amp in the radio did not have enough "shit in it's drawers" to drive the speakers to an acceptable level.

The Sony's are 25W/Ch conservative, they will each be bridged to provide 50W to each of the cheapo Insignia 6X9's. The batteries are 12V/7.2AH SLA cells in parallel giving me 28.8AH, under normal use it should be good for about 12 hours.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2415.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_2417.jpg

There will be switching to allow charging and/or operation off the quad's electrical system, Not pictured in the gear pic is the charger/power source for the MP3 player, and the Charge controller for the SLA's.

This project is ON THE CHEAP

The Source is an iRiver (great unit) H10 20GB MP3 player and it has a tuner, I retired it when I got my iPod and I'm still thinking I like it better than the iPod!

Speakers are Insignia (Best Buy House Brand) 6X9's snagged off of ebay for 20 bucks they are all plastic/rubber to take a bit of water/mud

Amps are the Sonys

Batteries were a trade out for services.

Wood is scrap, I have the glass mat and cloth left over and enough resin/MEKP to get at least the shell done for testing. I'll need to buy more resin though.

Chad

RON
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I can decide what were going to do about power on my cart... It has a huge battery already on it to power the engine starter. The batt. is like twice as big as the civic one. I think it should be fine since we'll only be using it when driving around out in the weeds! I think those sony's are so cool!

Chad
06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I can decide what were going to do about power on my cart... It has a huge battery already on it to power the engine starter. The batt. is like twice as big as the civic one. I think it should be fine since we'll only be using it when driving around out in the weeds! I think those sony's are so cool!

Well, if you replaced the battery with a big AGM deep cycle you should be set, way more set than I am. Something like a big Odyssey, Hawker, Kenetik, you get the picture ;) I will be listening more with it parked, I use it for chores around the property so when cutting wood, sitting by the fire, etc I want some tunes, it will probably rarely be on while I'm riding and will be removed for getting stupid. Think of it as a mondo self-powered Boom Box that's water resistant. I'm still trying to think of a way to cram everything as far forward as possible so I can incorporate a cooler for da beerz :mangel:

Yeah, I could not pass up those sonys, especially after grabbing some old-skool MTX amps for about the same deal and then selling them to my neighbor after fixing them up. I was kinda bummed I sold them but he needed them more than I did and he got a hell of a deal :mmph:

RON
06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6532

you think this amp would be good enough to power two 6X9's or should i just use the head units power source?

I am selling my daughters 50cc four wheeler (she just got a new one 110cc) to fund this project (stereo golf cart).

Chad
06-25-2008, 08:39 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6532

you think this amp would be good enough to power two 6X9's or should i just use the head units power source?

I am selling my daughters 50cc four wheeler (she just got a new one 110cc) to fund this project (stereo golf cart).

I'd try to find an old used MTX or something in good working order, God only knows how much vibration abuse that Boss can take. Something old-skool and solid can probably be found for cheap or cheaper.

What kinda quad did you get your daughter? We have a 50CC for the boy and i forsee him out-growing it soon :mrolleyes: Great, more money to spend :mcry:

RON
06-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I'd try to find an old used MTX or something in good working order, God only knows how much vibration abuse that Boss can take. Something old-skool and solid can probably be found for cheap or cheaper.

What kinda quad did you get your daughter? We have a 50CC for the boy and i forsee him out-growing it soon :mrolleyes: Great, more money to spend :mcry:

It is one of those Chinese knock off one, but i am really impressed with build quailty. 110 cc, 3 speed automatic, electric start! I am 275 pounds and it pulls me pretty damn good! It has a ton of suspension travel... I mean a ton! It was $950 cash from a local guy here. She goes to her grandpa lake house every weekend and rides it for hours.

Chad
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
It is one of those Chinese knock off one, but i am really impressed with build quailty. 110 cc, 3 speed automatic, electric start! I am 275 pounds and it pulls me pretty damn good! It has a ton of suspension travel... I mean a ton! It was $950 cash from a local guy here. She goes to her grandpa lake house every weekend and rides it for hours.

We have a Kazuma 50CC (Chinese) and it has done well, A couple things have broken but we beat it. I could not see going out an spending 2K+ on a kaw or Honda for him to outgrow it :mrolleyes:

RON
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
We have a Kazuma 50CC (Chinese) and it has done well, A couple things have broken but we beat it. I could not see going out an spending 2K+ on a kaw or Honda for him to outgrow it :mrolleyes:

that is what we were thinking the next size will be a full on 4x4. Like 500cc or more that we will get her. But that won't be for a few years

Chad
06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
that is what we were thinking the next size will be a full on 4x4. Like 500cc or more that we will get her. But that won't be for a few years

I have a Kaw Prairie 360 and sometimes store and have access to a Polaris 500, both 4X4 utility quads. The Polaris is NICE and pretty damn fast for what it is but the Kaw WALKS it in the trails, it's MUCH more nimble, but pulling-wise it's the same, gravity is the limiting factor. The Polaris wears your ass out on the trails, my wife WON'T ride it at all, we literally run for the Kaw!

When the Owner and I go out and are done he can barely lift a beer and I'm ready for more, same if we switch off, it kicks my ass.

AND, the polaris will want to lift, it's a bit ass heavy if you hang onto the front brakes on the Kaw it will do donuts for days, but the polaris does not :(

Something to think about later down the road ;)

RON
06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a Kaw Prairie 360 and sometimes store and have access to a Polaris 500, both 4X4 utility quads. The Polaris is NICE and pretty damn fast for what it is but the Kaw WALKS it in the trails, it's MUCH more nimble, but pulling-wise it's the same, gravity is the limiting factor. The Polaris wears your ass out on the trails, my wife WON'T ride it at all, we literally run for the Kaw!

When the Owner and I go out and are done he can barely lift a beer and I'm ready for more, same if we switch off, it kicks my ass.

AND, the polaris will want to lift, it's a bit ass heavy if you hang onto the front brakes on the Kaw it will do donuts for days, but the polaris does not :(

Something to think about later down the road ;)

I would like to a new Kaw... But I just can't justify it... It would only be ridin like once a week and only during the summers, but I would probably get a blade for the front to snow plow.

Damn we jacked this thread! LOL Since your a mod you could create this in a new post right? I think there will be more to discuss once I get the cash to start!

Chad
06-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Moved to a new thread... You gonna do glasswork on the cart?

AND, if you get a blade, get a winch too, the manual rig will wear yo azz OUT!

v1c10us
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
30 bucks for those amps?
what are the ratings? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get 4 of those and some rca splitters instead of buying a 4 channel amp

liquid cooled
06-27-2008, 05:58 AM
I would be really grateful for a glassing How to.

RON
06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Moved to a new thread... You gonna do glasswork on the cart?

AND, if you get a blade, get a winch too, the manual rig will wear yo azz OUT!

That is what the plan is... My first Glass project on the golf cart... The do my car! I am thinking about picking up those MTX amps for my car and using that small one on the golf cart.

My father in-law is now trying to talk me out of the system on the golf cart (thinks it will get stolen). But I want to do it anyway! I really want to practice on a fiber glass enclosers!

PS Sold the ATV last night! Took less than 6 hours! Got 350 for it!

Could you go more into the battery thing? How are you going to recharge the batteries (using the magnito, or is there an alternator?)

Chad
06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
30 bucks for those amps?
what are the ratings? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get 4 of those and some rca splitters instead of buying a 4 channel amp

They do 50W bridged at 4 ohms, BUT they are not current production, they were from the mid 90's when amplifiers were expensive and built like brick shit-houses. Look into the Cerwin Vega EXL's that are running around on closeout, Robert Zeff designed them so it's like a Chinese ARC or Zapco ;) Good amp for the money!

I would be really grateful for a glassing How to.

That is what the plan is... My first Glass project on the golf cart... The do my car! I am thinking about picking up those MTX amps for my car and using that small one on the golf cart.

PS Sold the ATV last night! Took less than 6 hours! Got 350 for it!

Could you go more into the battery thing? How are you going to recharge the batteries (using the magnito, or is there an alternator?)

Tis will be my first "exterior" or "visible" glass job in a LONG time, it will be a learning expierience for all :mredface:

Congrats on the sale, now I'm stoked at knowing what the resale of mine is :D

There will be the OPTION to charge the SLAs off of the quad when it's running, it has an alternator, a small one. Normally it will be charged with a charger I've built for it, I'm debating as to if it's going to be external or internal. But honestly the old ship-n-shore is doing a pretty damn good job at charging them, I may just use that at first and worry more about charge control, etc in the winter when I really have time to tinker. I've though of also placing solar panels ont he top of the enclosure, can't hurt.

RON
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Tis will be my first "exterior" or "visible" glass job in a LONG time, it will be a learning expierience for all :mredface:

Congrats on the sale, now I'm stoked at knowing what the resale of mine is :D

There will be the OPTION to charge the SLAs off of the quad when it's running, it has an alternator, a small one. Normally it will be charged with a charger I've built for it, I'm debating as to if it's going to be external or internal. But honestly the old ship-n-shore is doing a pretty damn good job at charging them, I may just use that at first and worry more about charge control, etc in the winter when I really have time to tinker. I've though of also placing solar panels ont he top of the enclosure, can't hurt.

I am think about getting a small battery that I will add to the unit, but if we stop i will have a switch to turn off the connection to the main battery. That way the main battery won't have power being pulled from it. What would you recomend for a switch system?

Chad
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I am think about getting a small battery that I will add to the unit, but if we stop i will have a switch to turn off the connection to the main battery. That way the main battery won't have power being pulled from it. What would you recomend for a switch system?

It sounds as if you have a substantial battery in the vehicle itself correct, I would not mess with an second if indeed you already have a sufficinet one. The battery in the Kaw is little! PE has "amplifier wiring kits" on sale IIRC, smaller ones like a 10Ga nd an 8Ga, I may pick one up next week.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Quad%20Audio/100_1936.jpg

RON
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
It is a large car battery. But i am affraid my daughter will be out on it and leave the radio going and it will drain the battery. This will also be the first time I have ever done a cd player in something that wasn't made for one.

talonXracer
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I need to make something like that for my ride! That would be great to get some nice loud and clear calls out to bring the coyotes in. I would need to incorporate a gun holster/rack as well.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0356.jpg

RON
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I need to make something like that for my ride! That would be great to get some nice loud and clear calls out to bring the coyotes in. I would need to incorporate a gun holster/rack as well.

I seriouly laughed out loud when I saw that! LOL

Chad
06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

oohh a challenge!

I did such a steep angle back on the speakers to clear the handle bars at full lock, that gun rack is gonna make it a bish!

And I imagine the rear is used for the "kill?"

Chad
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM
It is a large car battery. But i am affraid my daughter will be out on it and leave the radio going and it will drain the battery. This will also be the first time I have ever done a cd player in something that wasn't made for one.

Honestly I'd go the easy way, I'd get a big ass Kenitik or Odyssey battery that's cool with a deep discharge, or if you are a rednek like me a big fuggin dep cycle trolling motor battery from Farm And Fleet. Pop it in there, Then go to a flea market and buy one of those portable jump start boxes for 30 bucks. Keep it on the kart in case the battery dies :D

IF I had a higher capacity battery in the quad that's EXACTLY what I would do!

batteries need care in feeding, if care is not exercised you risk failure or at worse venting/fire. this is why I'm doing charge controllers/etc and I have experience with that, if I did not I sure as hell would have thought of something different ;)

If you are looking for power connectors I'd use Anderson PowerPoles, they work great, when the project gets close hit me up, I keep them in stock and I'll shoot some over. You certainly want it removable right?

RON
06-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Honestly I'd go the easy way, I'd get a big ass Kenitik or Odyssey battery that's cool with a deep discharge, or if you are a rednek like me a big fuggin dep cycle trolling motor battery from Farm And Fleet. Pop it in there, Then go to a flea market and buy one of those portable jump start boxes for 30 bucks. Keep it on the kart in case the battery dies :D

IF I had a higher capacity battery in the quad that's EXACTLY what I would do!

batteries need care in feeding, if care is not exercised you risk failure or at worse venting/fire. this is why I'm doing charge controllers/etc and I have experience with that, if I did not I sure as hell would have thought of something different ;)

If you are looking for power connectors I'd use Anderson PowerPoles, they work great, when the project gets close hit me up, I keep them in stock and I'll shoot some over. You certainly want it removable right?

Removable? which part the stereo or power source. I plan to make all or this permanently in there!

Chad
06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I plan for removability, it gets used to plaw snow and do some uber dirty work, I also don't want to hell-ride with it on there. Did not know if you had the same plans.