PDA

View Full Version : complete type s exhaust. minor parts list?

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
okay so i already have on hand or have already ordered: type s header, type s cat, and 05 type s midpipe.

so, my question is, what bolts, gaskets, etc. do i need? chromecoyote(bought header from him) has already been talking to me about the install, but that was when i told him i was probably going the test pipe route. i have read around and...

Here is what i think i need so far:
(4) spring bolts
(1) ring crush gasket
---well, this is where i am not sure about things. for instance: how many more gaskets do i need (flange and such); the cat comes with the bolts welded on correct? <-do i need new nuts? also the mounting bracket for the header will not work with an A2 header right?

so my question is....how much of my shit ^^ is incorrect and what am i missing. another thing is that spring bolts are kinda $$, so i have read about some people just putting normal bolts in place of spring bolts. would this pretty much be a permenant sort of thing with the rust and all (never be able to get it off without cutting)?

anything i have f#cked up or is missing is welcome. and certainly any comments about "why dont you just..." is also welcome.

thanks guys and gals

Gilmour
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+PIPE-MUFFLER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Yes 4 spring bolts 2 at the header to cat and 2 at the b-pipe to axle back
You'll need a 4 gaskets one at the head to header, one at the header to cat, one at the cat to b-pipe and one at the b-pipe to axle back.
You'll be needing 7 nuts. two on the spring bolts at the header to cat. 3 at the cat to b-pipe and 2 on the spring bolts at the b-pipe to axel back.
Aswell there is 3 bolts from header to head and 2 nuts there as well

hope that helps

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+PIPE-MUFFLER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Yes 4 spring bolts 2 at the header to cat and 2 at the b-pipe to axle back
You'll need a 4 gaskets one at the head to header, one at the header to cat, one at the cat to b-pipe and one at the b-pipe to axle back.
You'll be needing 7 nuts. two on the spring bolts at the header to cat. 3 at the cat to b-pipe and 2 on the spring bolts at the b-pipe to axel back.
Aswell there is 3 bolts from header to head and 2 nuts there as well

hope that helps

aw thanks...

well, sorry to mention this but i am not replacing the axle back too. and i have already taken off the spring bolts for the mid to muffler section and they dont need to be replaced. so that eliminates two spring bolts and two nuts.

now i understand that i can only get the spring bolts from honda/acura. what about nuts?

also any substitutions for these spring bolts possibly?

also for the gaskets, where can i get these? will a normal flange gasket from autozone work for the header to cat gasket? when i took off my muffler a few weeks ago, i noticed that there was no gasket between the midpipe and axle-back, is this normal?

Gilmour
06-27-2008, 09:13 AM
aw thanks...

well, sorry to mention this but i am not replacing the axle back too. and i have already taken off the spring bolts for the mid to muffler section and they dont need to be replaced. so that eliminates two spring bolts and two nuts.

now i understand that i can only get the spring bolts from honda/acura. what about nuts?

also any substitutions for these spring bolts possibly?

also for the gaskets, where can i get these? will a normal flange gasket from autozone work for the header to cat gasket? when i took off my muffler a few weeks ago, i noticed that there was no gasket between the midpipe and axle-back, is this normal?

I had gotten all my gaskets (- header to head gasket) at a Canadian Tire, which I assume is less then a autozone. I found all my hardware there (- spring bolts) which I had already gotten at Honda. But you may want to check at autozone for them.

Yes there is a gasket between the b-pipe and axel back, a donut gasket. Guess your not the orginal owner then.:msmile:

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 09:20 AM
I had gotten all my gaskets (- header to head gasket) at a Canadian Tire, which I assume is less then a autozone. I found all my hardware there (- spring bolts) which I had already gotten at Honda. But you may want to check at autozone for them
ya i took one of my spring bolts by autozone and they said i have to order them from honda directly.

Yes there is a gasket between the b-pipe and axel back, a donut gasket. Guess your not the orginal owner then.:msmile:
:meek:eeks...i bought this brand new...:mconfused:

thechromecoyote
06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Lost the PM I sent you? :mwink:

Installing an exhaust on a car that's seen snow is a PITA. Assume every bolt you take out needs to be replaced by a new one, and be prepared to cut, grind, etc in the case of seized bolts.

Parts:
EX MANIFOLD:
here (http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal)
EX PIPING:
here (http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=3DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+PIPE-MUFFLER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal)

Header, Test Pipe (or cat) and Midpipe. Make sure the Header and Midpipe have the donut gaskets
3x m10 Bolts (S/S, Grade 8+) w/ matching nuts (for a test pipe install)
3x m10 HONDA Nuts (for a Cat install) (EX PIPING- Part#37)
4x Spring Bolts (EX PIPING- Part#22)
3x Header bolts (EX MANIFOLD- Part#13)
2x Header nuts (EX MANIFOLD- Part#10)
1x o2 sensor extension (you should only need one)
Gasket Material (for a test pipe install)
Crush Ring O Gasket (for a Cat install) (EX PIPING- Part#22)

Chemicals/ non tool hardware:

PB Blaster
Anti-Seize lube
Acetylen (sp?) torch

Tools: (besides the obvious socket wrench, torque wrench, etc)

o2 sensor socket (essential tool for removing and installing o2 sensors)
Swivel socket adapter (needed for header bolts)
Angle Grinder
Saws-all/ Dremel or other cutting device
Rubber mallet

TIPS:
Basically PB Blaster all the bolts everyday for about a week before you do the install. That should loosen them up, but chances are you are still going to have to grind some out, esp the cat -> midpipe connection. That thing is typically a ball of rust. Just detach the cat from the header, and the midpipe from the axleback and remove the whole thing as one unit. Its MUCH easier to break apart when its off the car. :mwink:

The torch is for really stubborn bolts. Just head up around the bolt and that should help get them out.

The frame bracket which stabilizes the header is also a PITA to get off. Not only will it be seized, but it is also threadlocked. Get a long breaker bar for this, otherwise it wont budge. I just cut it off. Everyone says you dont need it, I havent noticed a problem yet haha.

If I think of anything else, Ill Let you know.

-Ali

Only thing that changes from the original test pipe install for a Cat is that you dont need flat gasket material, instead you need the crush ring gasket from Acura/Honda. Make SURE you buy the right one for the 2005 RSX-S bc there is a huge size difference between that and the Si one, or even 02-04 RSX-S.

You will also need 3x nuts for the cat bolts which have an annoying thread pattern and should just be replaced with OEM parts.

As far as Donut gaskets, the header I sent you has one on it, but the midpipe I saw you get didnt. Its expensive, but you can find cheaper alternatives at auto supply stores. Its still not cheap, but cheaper than OEM if you go that route.

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Lost the PM I sent you? :mwink:

Only thing that changes from the original test pipe install for a Cat is that you dont need flat gasket material, instead you need the crush ring gasket from Acura/Honda. Make SURE you buy the right one for the 2005 RSX-S bc there is a huge size difference between that and the Si one, or even 02-04 RSX-S.

You will also need 3x nuts for the cat bolts which have an annoying thread pattern and should just be replaced with OEM parts.

As far as Donut gaskets, the header I sent you has one on it, but the midpipe I saw you get didnt. Its expensive, but you can find cheaper alternatives at auto supply stores. Its still not cheap, but cheaper than OEM if you go that route.

there he is......

and ya, i tend to hit that 50 limit dealio and end up cleaning out pretty well.:mangel:

well i think this thread is toast.

thanks for the help gilmour and thanks once again mr. coyoteman for babying me through this whole thing.:msmile:

thechromecoyote
06-27-2008, 09:57 AM
there he is......

and ya, i tend to hit that 50 limit dealio and end up cleaning out pretty well.:mangel:

well i think this thread is toast.

thanks for the help gilmour and thanks once again mr. coyoteman for babying me through this whole thing.:msmile:

NP, do me a favor and take pictures of the steps when you do it and we can do a DIY. Its not much more complicated than a regular exhaust swap, but its asked about commonly enough that it might as well have its own thread with parts needed, tips, etc. :fish:

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
NP, do me a favor and take pictures of the steps when you do it and we can do a DIY. Its not much more complicated than a regular exhaust swap, but its asked about commonly enough that it might as well have its own thread with parts needed, tips, etc. :fish:

that is a good idea. oh, have you shipped extension yet?

thechromecoyote
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
that is a good idea. oh, have you shipped extension yet?

Yeah, I shipped it out Wednesday. USPS, so they dont do real time tracking.

jtyler05si
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
awesome sauce.

Hilary Muff
07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Im getting ready to do a RSX-S DCRH and midpipe install, and keeping the stock axelback. I know I'm going to need to replace all the hardware because of rust, so I'm trying to get a list of exactly what I need.

My only difference from the OP is the RH so that eliminates my cat. This is the list i've got so far.

3 Flange bolts
3 Converter bolts
2 Spring bolts
Self locking nuts

So, anything else that i need?

Also i guess i need to take the sway bar off for the install? Im guessing these nuts would need replaced too if someone can help me out.

03Si757
07-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Im getting ready to do a RSX-S DCRH and midpipe install, and keeping the stock axelback. I know I'm going to need to replace all the hardware because of rust, so I'm trying to get a list of exactly what I need.

My only difference from the OP is the RH so that eliminates my cat. This is the list i've got so far.

3 Flange bolts
3 Converter bolts
2 Spring bolts
Self locking nuts

So, anything else that i need?

Also i guess i need to take the sway bar off for the install? Im guessing these nuts would need replaced too if someone can help me out.

You may want to look into replacing gaskets aswell, Its not NEEDED, but its recommended, Also, I do not believe at all you need to remove your sway bar.

thechromecoyote
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
you are going to have to loosen the front sway to get the RH up in there. I had to do it to get the normal 05-06 RSX-S header up from the bottom.

Rear sway will be fine though.

Your hardware list is good, but also consider replacing the bolts and nuts from where the header attaches to the block itself, and the header gasket like 03Si757 says

Hilary Muff
07-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I think I've ordered what I need so far. All new nuts, bolts, and gaskets. I also ordered 1 o2 extension and the parts for the DIY defouler. How necessary is the o2 sensor socket? Any other tips anyone wants to give? From what i can tell and studied so far, this doesnt seem like its going to be tooo difficult, just dealing with the rusted and seized bolts, etc.

03Si757
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I think I've ordered what I need so far. All new nuts, bolts, and gaskets. I also ordered 1 o2 extension and the parts for the DIY defouler. How necessary is the o2 sensor socket? Any other tips anyone wants to give? From what i can tell and studied so far, this doesnt seem like its going to be tooo difficult, just dealing with the rusted and seized bolts, etc.

Its pretty strait forward and not hard at all, I cant preach enough about patience, everything goes 48357849 times smoother when your patient.

thechromecoyote
07-08-2008, 11:00 AM

If your car has seen a winter, you'll need the o2 sensor socket, its a PITA to get off otherwise.

Also, before you start your project, PB Blast all the bolts daily for a week.

04cvcsi
07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
did anybody torque the nuts and bolts to the header to spec (33ft lbs)? i could only get about 3 or 4 of them to torque to spec. torque wrenches are huge and our engine bays are small :\

thechromecoyote
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
did anybody torque the nuts and bolts to the header to spec (33ft lbs)? i could only get about 3 or 4 of them to torque to spec. torque wrenches are huge and our engine bays are small :\

Swivel Socket :hail:

03EP3SiHB
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Swivel Socket :hail:

Swivel sockets for torquing is not recommended. Also make sure you apply the pressure thecorrect way when torquing either one hand on the handle or one on the handle and one barely pressing the head of the wrnch. Believe it or not yiou can throw off the torque reading by not doing those two steps. The swivel will throw it off big time, ionno why but it does.

Patience is a virtue, it is better to take 5 hours to install it and do it slow and clam then to rush and eff it up :mrolleyes:

-Gio

thechromecoyote
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Swivel sockets for torquing is not recommended. Also make sure you apply the pressure thecorrect way when torquing either one hand on the handle or one on the handle and one barely pressing the head of the wrnch. Believe it or not yiou can throw off the torque reading by not doing those two steps. The swivel will throw it off big time, ionno why but it does.

Patience is a virtue, it is better to take 5 hours to install it and do it slow and clam then to rush and eff it up :mrolleyes:

-Gio

well this is true, using the swivel socket properly is not an easy task in a cramped space unfortunately. The trick is using one hand to guide the wrench and the other to lightly hold the socket in place. It takes some managing, but its doable with patience. Also, not every angle you can turn at is an angle you want to torque at. So make sure the angle of the swivel is locked at the position before you begin torquing. :mmph:

shadowmd
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
the only thing i torque are internal engine parts (cam caps, etc)....everything i just do by feel

03Si757
07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
the only thing i torque are internal engine parts (cam caps, etc)....everything i just do by feel

Same here, well Ill torque the high tq bolts :-D

BeaterEP
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Somebody check my work here:

Also picking up some used exhaust bits, '05 RSX-S Header, Cat, and Midpipe.
Assuming I want to replace all the associated bits and pieces (which I do), is this list accurate? (I'm assuming NONE of these parts will arrive, just to be on the safe side. Also, might as well replace them anyway, right?)

(BTW, chromecoyote, you posted some great info already...but I can be thick-headed, and I'm trying to make sure I don't dick this all up :mbiggrin:)

For Header;
-From Head
1x Ex. Mani Gasket (EX. MANI #4)
3x Header Bolts (EX. MANI #13)
2x Header Nuts (EX. MANI #10)
-To Cat
1x Gasket, Ex. Flexible (EX. MANI #6)?

For Cat;
-From Header
2x Spring, Flexible Joint (EX. PIPING #18)
2x Bolt B, Flexible Joint (EX. PIPING #19)
-To Midpipe
1x Gasket, Pre-Chamber (EX. PIPING #21/22)
3x Bolt, Converter (EX. PIPING #6)
3x Bag of 10x Nuts, Self-Locking (EX. PIPING #37)

For Midpipe;
-To Axleback (stock EP3; will this bolt straight up? Cut/Weld required?)
1x Gasket, Ex. Flexible (EX. PIPING #17)
2x Spring, Flexible Joint (EX. PIPING #18)
2x Bolt B, Flexible Joint (EX. PIPING #19)

And the obvious O2 extension.

Is this right?

Sorry to keep kicking the horse, but damn if I'm not an expert at missing "little" stuff like this!

thechromecoyote
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
While the headers for 02-06 are the same, the cat and midpipe are different for 05-06 so you need to know which year these parts came from to order the pre-chamber gasket for the cat and the donut gasket for the midpipe.

You dont need the bolt converters unless your used cat is really rusted to shit, even then you can just get them rethreaded. Replacing them requires cutting and welding, so it should only be a last effort in the case of rusted to shit parts.

You also dont need 3 bags of 10mm nuts haha, just 3 nuts will do.

otherwise... your list is spot on, but make sure you adjust the part#'s to the 05-06 diagrams below

Part #14 in this illustration is the gasket you need for the 2005 header
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_e04.gif

05-06 Cat-Midpipe:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_b02.gif

BeaterEP
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
While the headers for 02-06 are the same, the cat and midpipe are different for 05-06 so you need to know which year these parts came from to order the pre-chamber gasket for the cat and the donut gasket for the midpipe.

You dont need the bolt converters unless your used cat is really rusted to shit, even then you can just get them rethreaded. Replacing them requires cutting and welding, so it should only be a last effort in the case of rusted to shit parts.

otherwise... your list is spot on, but make sure you adjust the part#'s to the 05-06 diagrams below

Part #14 in this illustration is the gasket you need for the 2005 header
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_e04.gif

05-06 Cat-Midpipe:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s6m0_b02.gif

Spectacular! Good to know I'm on the right track, and thanks for the heads up, didn't realize I was looking at the earlier model year there (see, that gift for missing the "little" things cropping up again!)

And finally, '05 DC5S midpipe to '03 EP3 axleback; to cut/weld or not to cut? Is this just a straight bolt up, flange-wise, or do I need to switch the flanges from my midpipe to the RSX's?
Last question, I swears :mbiggrin:

(well, for now anyway)

Goddamn, ~$170 after shipping for all that...ouch!
Aaaaand just found the DIY, I'll leave you all the hell alone now.
/tool

ep3_si
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
okay...this is like a noob question...would it be possible to just get a RSX-S DC Sports Race header and the RSX-S mid-pipe only?? since the race header eliminates the catalytic converter? im sure it would be loud but i was just wondering...

jtyler05si
07-17-2008, 06:26 AM
yes that is fine....

you would then be able to bolt on any ep specific axle-back... if you wanted to.

and ya, a rh and midpipe will be pretty damn loud.

jtyler05si
07-17-2008, 06:30 AM
And finally, '05 DC5S midpipe to '03 EP3 axleback; to cut/weld or not to cut? Is this just a straight bolt up, flange-wise, or do I need to switch the flanges from my midpipe to the RSX's?
Last question, I swears :mbiggrin:

(well, for now anyway)

Goddamn, ~$170 after shipping for all that...ouch!
Aaaaand just found the DIY, I'll leave you all the hell alone now.
/tool

If using a type s header, cat/test pipe, and midpipe; the flange on the rear of the midpipe will be exactly the same in the same position as was/is your ep rear midpipe flange.

on the type s, the longer exhaust up front is made up by the shorter midpipe... but the type s axle-back is longer than that of the ep.

hope this makes sense..:mrolleyes:

edit: depending on the age of your stock exhaust you can reuse the donut gasket between the midpipe and axleback...if you wanted to...the flanges on both midpipes = exact same.