PDA

View Full Version : GURGLING SOUND AFTER GOING THROUGH SMALL PUDDLES WHILE RAINING HARD

a_wlee
11-19-2002, 04:24 PM
I have a MBRP exhaust and an AEM CAI, is it normal to have a Rumbling or gurgling sound when driving in a rain storm with little puddles that are no more then 2-3 inches? Am I getting water into my intake or exhaust? To me it sounds like water in my muffler sometimes!

Thanks

AL

Jpax
11-19-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by a_wlee
I have a MBRP exhaust and an AEM CAI, is it normal to have a Rumbling or gurgling sound when driving in a rain storm with little puddles that are no more then 2-3 inches? Am I getting water into my intake or exhaust? To me it sounds like water in my muffler sometimes!

Thanks

AL

whats an MBRP exhaust, and i never heard of a CAI AEM intake....

that rumbleing can be from your blinker fluid is low..... or you might have a leak of antifrezze seaping into your carboratior.:confused:

take it to midas, they know everything....:'(

02blksi
11-19-2002, 04:41 PM
YOUR fine !!!! STOP worrying!

answer this:
is your car parked outside?
Do you realize that rain enters the muffler when the car is parked?
when you start the car is this when the rumbling is heard?
@ idle is the rumbling most aparent.?

If you answered yes to these questions you have solved the mystery rumble. As rain enters the muffler it has no where to go it basically sits in your muffler until you start your car and burn it out (evaporates). before it the muffler heats up enough the water sits in their "rumbling" if you want to call it that. I really would find it hard to believe that you can hear a Rumbling noise (other than the exhaust note itself) while you are driving..... Anyways dont worry, when its raining out just drive normal, the only thing that would cause your engine to hydrolock would be driving through water that is higher than the filter itself (therefore submerging it)...

- Joe :)

66elwood99
11-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by a_wlee

Thanks

AL

It's probably the exhaust, I also have the MBRP and I am experiencing the same problem. I think that water is getting into the exhaust at the CAT. Tomorrow, I am going to the muffler shop who installed it. I think it may need some sort of gasket or just tightened down. I'll post what I find out. ;)

Does it sound like it's coming from under the passenger floor board?

a_wlee
11-19-2002, 07:47 PM
I agree the water must be getting in around the Cat and is creating that sound!

Thanks,

Allen

Max
11-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Dude. I have Thermal c.b. and AEM cai, and I have exact the same problem only when it rains. I'm going to take my car to the dealer next week, and see what this shit is, cause it's really pissing me off.

Max
11-19-2002, 11:22 PM
And yes it's coming from passenger floor board.

a_wlee
11-22-2002, 11:08 PM
The noise is created when you drive through a puddle and the water hits the pipe which then pushes the centre pipe against the floor board, This information that I recieved sounds like the problem, this only happens when going through a puddle. This must be a manufacturing problem and the brackets on the MBRP may not be correctly set-up.

SmoothOperator
11-23-2002, 07:13 PM
I posted a thread about this problem a little while ago. I too, have the MBRP exhaust, and I'm getting that damn vibration/noise when I drive in rain.
I was hoping to get the problem resolved, before I put my car away for winter, but too late. Perhaps if there's enough of us complaining about it, MBRP will help us out.
If any of you come up with a solution, please let me know!

CleanBlackSi02
11-25-2002, 01:08 PM
You probably don't have a gasket or the wrong size/kind of gasket on the exhaust...

SmoothOperator
11-25-2002, 01:40 PM
I e-mailed Martin at MBRP about this. I suggest you all do the same (if you have their exhaust that is). Hopefully he can come up with a solution. Perhaps send us each a gasket to illiminate the problem, or something.

66elwood99
11-27-2002, 09:19 PM
I had gone to the shop today and got my car on the rack. I'm sorry that I didn't take my camera. The midpipe was two bends, (from the cat to the rear) the first one goes to the passenger side (left bend) then it turns right to the rear. At the first bend the pipe was only approx 1/2 inch from the underbody. The pipe does not ride in the concaved recessed area for the exhaust. My buddy had heated the front bracket near the cat and we bent it to lower the whole system away from the underbody. I won't know if this is it until it rains, it is snowing today. I would sometimes hear this after long trips and then when the car idles. I didn't hear anything on the ride home after watching the Penguins kick the Flyers a@#es :D