PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a homemade camber measuring device

v1c10us
06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
you would need a board with a level on it and a mounting surface, possibly with adjustable feet to make it the right height, or you could just find level ground.
It would have 2 strings on it.
You would then take one string and tape it to the top of the tire and the other to the bottom(might involve some rolling of the car) then measure the length of string required and make note of any difference between the 2. no difference would indicate 0 camber
if there is a difference you would measure the height of the tire from top to bottom and divide it by 360. assume the tire was 20 inches tall for my tired brain

one three-hundred-and-sixtieth would be 0.0555555556 inches.
So you could assume that for every 0.0555555556 inch difference between the two strings this is 1 degree.
Im not sure if camber is measured on 180 degrees or 360, either way it would just be a matter of changing the number you divided the height by.
you could also do this with the top and bottom of your rim so as to make it easier and eliminate the fact that the bottom of the tire is flatter, giving you an inacurate height measurement..
now that i have that stupid thought out of my head maybe i can stop daydreaming and go to sleep.

dichotomous
06-30-2008, 10:06 AM
you would need a board with a level on it and a mounting surface, possibly with adjustable feet to make it the right height, or you could just find level ground.
It would have 2 strings on it.
You would then take one string and tape it to the top of the tire and the other to the bottom(might involve some rolling of the car) then measure the length of string required and make note of any difference between the 2. no difference would indicate 0 camber
if there is a difference you would measure the height of the tire from top to bottom and divide it by 360. assume the tire was 20 inches tall for my tired brain

one three-hundred-and-sixtieth would be 0.0555555556 inches.
So you could assume that for every 0.0555555556 inch difference between the two strings this is 1 degree.
Im not sure if camber is measured on 180 degrees or 360, either way it would just be a matter of changing the number you divided the height by.
you could also do this with the top and bottom of your rim so as to make it easier and eliminate the fact that the bottom of the tire is flatter, giving you an inacurate height measurement..
now that i have that stupid thought out of my head maybe i can stop daydreaming and go to sleep.

that would work, but involves math and no on the fly abilities. so you could also stick a protractor face down on a stick standing straight up sundial style from a round base of wood with 4 holes in it, stick a string through the protractors hole and knot it on the end, tie something small and heavy on the other end. now you can make adjustments and see exactly where to stop, is cheep too.