PDA

View Full Version : New Sub Setup for Existing Amp

bchaney
06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Well I'm done with the dual 12"s that were in my previous car with a larger trunk.

So I have an Ultimate Sound DT2-800 (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/template/default/pdfs/discontinued/amplifiers/Digitalis%20DT2-800.pdf) that puts out 2x200W at 4ohm, 2x400W at 2ohm, or 800W (bridged) at a 4ohm load. I'm looking for a sub that I can use with this amp.

I've been looking at the Elemental Designs 11Ov.2 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=34) or 13Ov.2 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=35). I'm not sure which would fit with this amp best and how I should wire it.

Looking for some suggestions on these or any other subs that'd work well with this amp. Thanks.

ryko
06-30-2008, 05:50 PM
edesigns own. nuff said

bchaney
07-01-2008, 05:31 AM
I guess what I'm really asking is if either sub could handle the power output of my amp. Although it's rated at 800W, it's been tested to 952W. I plan on putting it in an ED vented enclosure. Chad?

Chazwick05
07-01-2008, 06:25 AM
i've had an elemental designs 13Ov.2 woofer with an ED amp for three years now, with absolutely NO problems whatsoever. it's a clean design, and a great performer.

i'm just not sure if it can handle the higher power of your amp, though it may!

devious05
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Check Out The T3 T.s.series Sub They Sound Clean And Hit Hard

Chad
07-01-2008, 09:07 AM
The red plot is the Recommended box by ED for the 110V.2 The green is what I got after tinkering with it a bit.. because I'm anal....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Tech%20stuff/EPhatch%20Tech/110v2.jpg

The green is 1.27 CuFt tunes at 27 cycles, while ED recommends 1Cu Ft tuned at 30.

bchaney
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
The enclosure (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=120) for the 13" is 1.5 ft^3

The website says 952W falls under: "This district is a place it's ok to be. But only if you know what you are doing. Power used in this region may have output gains but if used incorrectly can severely shorten the lifeline of the speaker and it's performance. "

Thing is, I don't 100% know what I'm doing. Are they talking about setting gains?

Chad
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Not only about gain setting but also responsibility with the "big knob"

I'd rather see a driver get the power it needs than too little.

VegaS10
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Digital Designs 3500 series or even the 9500.

bchaney
07-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm usually pretty responsible with the "big knob" but when I'm solo taking a long road trip I like to rock out. Anyone have a good, straightforward guide to setting gain?

DD subs look really nice but I don't think I can justify the price if I'm not competing.

VegaS10
07-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Setting gains are very easy to do.

Turn all settings on your AMPS all the way down. Set all settings on the radio to flat. No bass boosts, no "loud" buttons, no bass expanders. Just "flatten" everything.

Pick a song on a commercial disc (no mp3s, ipods, xm, sirius, or fm) that has ALOT of information. Something like a very hgih powered rock song. Usually anything by Metallica works fine.

I usually set my sub crossover around 80hz, and my mid/high around 100-120 (depending on the crossover slop and mids being used).

Turn the radio up about 75%. This gives you some headroom for quieter songs or a little more "ass" when needed.

Unhook the subs and do the mids first. Doing so allows you to hear the mids easier (bass can mask distortion). Just unplug the rcas for simplicity.

Slowly turn the mid amp gain up untill you hear distortion. When you do, back it down just a hair. Mark the amp where the gain is, then turn it all the way back down.

Unhook the mid amp rcas, and do the subs the same way.

Turn the radio back down and hook the mid amp rcas, and turn the gain back to the marked level. Turn everything up and it should be good.

You may have to do some small minor tweaking, but this should get you close to where it needs to be.

I avoid all loud buttons, bass expanders, bass boosts and crap like that. If you need anymore "sound" simply adjust the crossovers. Also, it is best to cut than boost.

I'm sure Chad is gonna chime in and say we should use an o-scope with test tones and volt meters, but not all of us are techno geeks like he is......:mbiggrin:

Chad
07-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm sure Chad is gonna chime in and say we should use an o-scope with test tones and volt meters, but not all of us are techno geeks like he is......:mbiggrin:

If you gotta get hair perfect then a scope and a load. I in NO WAY condone the use of a meter to set gains, I am very much against it!

Test tones do not give any representation to what music will do, it's like looking thru a peephole when you really need a window, they are 100% duty cycle with 0 crest factor.

If you really want to "nerd it out" a digital storage scope, distortion anaylizer and properly loaded amplifiers is the way to go, followed only in a close second to, or tied to, something we already have, 2 ears with grey matter between them :mangel:

VegaS10
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
We use clamp meters to set and measure our amps for dB Drag, but that's a WHOLE different world...lol

Chad
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
We use clamp meters to set and measure our amps for dB Drag, but that's a WHOLE different world...lol

A whole new level of insanity :mtongue:

bchaney
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much for the info. I bow to the gurus of audio. Electrical engineering def isn't my thing.

I've never thought of disconnecting the sub to set the mid's gain. With this method, what if the levels are off relative to each other? ie. the subs drown out the mids when they're hooked back up. Is this a job for the EQ or do you always leave it flat?

Blah1219
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Well I'm done with the dual 12"s that were in my previous car with a larger trunk.

So I have an Ultimate Sound DT2-800 (http://www.ultimate-sound.com/template/default/pdfs/discontinued/amplifiers/Digitalis%20DT2-800.pdf) that puts out 2x200W at 4ohm, 2x400W at 2ohm, or 800W (bridged) at a 4ohm load. I'm looking for a sub that I can use with this amp.

I've been looking at the Elemental Designs 11Ov.2 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=34) or 13Ov.2 (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=35). I'm not sure which would fit with this amp best and how I should wire it.

Looking for some suggestions on these or any other subs that'd work well with this amp. Thanks.

to get the full potential of the amp
i would go with the same brand sub as the amp
i don't know anything about ultimate sound brand
but your going to lose power if you use a different brand subwoofer

im a crossfire/digital designs guy :)

RON
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM

You couldn't be more wrong! What do you do in a situation like McIntosh? They don't make subs... Are you say they aren't a good amp?

VegaS10
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
A whole new level of insanity :mtongue:

Very much so.

I've never thought of disconnecting the sub to set the mid's gain. With this method, what if the levels are off relative to each other? ie. the subs drown out the mids when they're hooked back up. Is this a job for the EQ or do you always leave it flat?

I unhook all amps except the one I'm tuning. This allows me to hear any distortion clearly.

So, for example, the subs are MUCH louder than the mids when I get done. Simply turn the sub amp down on the radio. Leave the AMP gain where it's at. Doing so will allow you to add more bass from the radio end when need be. Certain songs have very little bass, and doing it like this allows you to adjust subs from the front and not crawl in the back to turn it up.

An equalizer is a very last resort. With a good crossover (a quality amp will have a nice adjustable control) you can do the same thing as an eq. And always cut instead of boost. I never add to the signal.

In the 16 years I've been a professional installer, I've never seen a company make a COMPLETE competition system. Alpine makes great head units, but their amps suck. Digital Designs makes some of the best subs and amps, but they don't make head units.

BTW: Crossfire went out of business a few weeks ago.