PDA

View Full Version : DIY a/c compressor replacement?

epshtielsl
06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey, my a/c no longer works and I'm trying to replace the compressor. Does anyone have some info that could help me out? I tried searching for a DIY but came up with nothing. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

02EP3SI
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
drop the sub frame out and its cake

epshtielsl
06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I dropped the front part of the sub frame and took a look at it. How do I adjust the tension in the belt? And is there anything else I should remove to make reaching the bolts on the compressor easier?

lordofthesiths
06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
i believe we have an auto tensioner.
i have to replace mine also so any help would be great

dobbs02si
06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I dropped the front part of the sub frame and took a look at it. How do I adjust the tension in the belt? And is there anything else I should remove to make reaching the bolts on the compressor easier?

Hmm..you might rock the engine toward the front and get them below the rad a lil..iono? I took all the goods(bumper,cond, and rad) off the front and did it that way..not sure about from the bottom.

stepintoliquid
06-30-2008, 02:30 AM
there is an auto tensioner pulley that needs to be turned in order for the belt to be loosened/removed. check the service manual for instructions.

epshtielsl
06-30-2008, 07:01 AM
I just read through the service manual. Are all the extra steps like removing the alternator and condenser fan assembly necessary? Also can the refrigerant removal and charging be done by me or do I have to take it to a shop to get done? Like can I just disconnect the line somewhere and collect the drainage or do I need some special equipment?

*edit* I think the service manual gives steps for removing the condensor from the front. Would jacking the car up and dropping the subframe be easier?

stepintoliquid
06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
I just read through the service manual. Are all the extra steps like removing the alternator and condenser fan assembly necessary? Also can the refrigerant removal and charging be done by me or do I have to take it to a shop to get done? Like can I just disconnect the line somewhere and collect the drainage or do I need some special equipment?

*edit* I think the service manual gives steps for removing the condensor from the front. Would jacking the car up and dropping the subframe be easier?

not sure on whether or not you really need to remove alternator. iirc, it it located above the compressor, so it may need to come off to gain clearance.
completely removing the subframe would definitely give you a good bit of room to pull it out the bottom. or you could pull the radiator and a/c condensor out towards the front of the car if you want to bring it out the top. keep in mind the compressor not only bolts into the block, but also hangs off it from hooks. hope that all makes sense.

lordofthesiths
06-30-2008, 09:00 AM

you need to take it to a shop to have the refrigerant done. when you open you lines it will piss off into the air.which is illegal. no way to collect it without a machine. you also cant just fill it with one of the cans from the store. you need to vacume the system and leak check it. you also need to put oil in the system.

Danman281
06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
you need to take it to a shop to have the refrigerant done. when you open you lines it will piss off into the air.which is illegal. no way to collect it without a machine. you also cant just fill it with one of the cans from the store. you need to vacume the system and leak check it. you also need to put oil in the system.

definitely do that. when I replaced my condenser I made sure that I put the correct amount of oil in my system. Don't want to mess up your compressor. You could also just buy a vacuum machine from Harbor Freights, do it yourself. A shop charges over a hundred bucks while a machine cost a bit less. good luck

tdman77
07-06-2008, 02:24 PM

It is only illegal if you are using freon. Cars built after 1996 all use the new R135 and not freon. R135 is does not harm to ozone layer. Screw with taking it to the shop they will rip you off and do a piss poor job. I have replaced the a/c compressor on my 98 integra and fill it using R135 bought from Autozone with out any problems. So I don't know what he is taking about but it CAN be done yourself.

epshtielsl
07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Good to know thanks, I'll be changing it out as soon as I get some spare time. Can I just use those compressed bottles to fill the a/c lines again?

DRKSOLLOMB EP3
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
call this number to fix ur ac on ur car. 713 933 8343

frm_808
07-16-2008, 01:38 AM
how do you know ur compressor is bad?
did you hook up ur system to some gauges to see if you got pressure?

illusionsoflife
07-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Hey, my a/c no longer works and I'm trying to replace the compressor. Does anyone have some info that could help me out? I tried searching for a DIY but came up with nothing. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

i wish we had all the diy from before..........im sad

lordofthesiths
07-16-2008, 03:37 AM
It is only illegal if you are using freon. Cars built after 1996 all use the new R135 and not freon. R135 is does not harm to ozone layer. Screw with taking it to the shop they will rip you off and do a piss poor job. I have replaced the a/c compressor on my 98 integra and fill it using R135 bought from Autozone with out any problems. So I don't know what he is taking about but it CAN be done yourself.

if you want it to last you need to get it vacuumed. the moment you open your a/c lines moisture gets in there and you have to get it out. also when they use the machine on it they can make sure you have the correct amount of oil in it.
lastly if you don't vacuum it you still have air in your lines which takes up space so when you just use one of those cans you wont get as much refigerant in your system so it wont cool as well. i think it worth the money to get it done properly.