PDA

View Full Version : modifying stock shift knob?

jtyler05si
06-30-2008, 07:38 AM
well i have been looking through the recent shift knob thread and i have decided that i like the stock one best. i personally think nothing matches better.
but, the only reason i want to buy an aftermarket one is the increased weight.

so that leads me to the question, has anyone seen or heard of someone pulling apart the stock knob and adding weights in it?

I haven't taken apart the knob yet, so i dont know how much room there would be for doing anything like this.

well any comments are welcome.

Heitzke
06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't know man, seems like a waste IMO. I am kind of biased, however, because I really didn't like the stock piece. I think you should try out some different knobs before you decide the stock is best. I've been using a black textured Team Voodoo for almost two years now and still love it.

jtyler05si
06-30-2008, 09:25 AM
ya. i have borrowed a friends, skunk 2. i wouldn't care about this except for the fact that i loved the heavier feel.

about the liking hte stock- i think the black with red stitching just looks like it fits.

Kodeen
06-30-2008, 09:28 AM
How heavy would a spoonful of cement be? I'm trying to think of some substance that you can poor in as liquid and let dry.

jtyler05si
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
How heavy would a spoonful of cement be? I'm trying to think of some substance that you can poor in as liquid and let dry.

ya i was thinking about that...i think cement would eventually fall apart and be a damn mess.

so the only space for weighted material is in the hole where it screws on??

Kodeen
06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
What if you poored in some cement, then after it had fully dried, poor in some really strong caulk-like adhesive. I'm sure 3M makes something.

But it all comes down to how much would that small of an amount of cement weigh. I'm guessing not that much.

jtyler05si
06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
What if you poored in some cement, then after it had fully dried, poor in some really strong caulk-like adhesive. I'm sure 3M makes something.

But it all comes down to how much would that small of an amount of cement weigh. I'm guessing not that much.

ya thats why i was wondering what the entire thing consists of.
is it like a threaded column, then some kind of plastic/stuffing stuff, then wrapped?

i was thinking maybe carving out some of the insulation that makes the shape and replacing with something heavier, then gluing the threaded piece back in place.

i dont know. i was wondering if anyone has taken apart one before?

davisj3537
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Lead solder is heavy and dries super quick.

jtyler05si
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
ya i thought about solder of some sort... it depends upon what kind of material is inside the hole. might be too hot.

edit: hmm i just noticed i started almost every post with "ya". oh well

davisj3537
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Even if it is plastic inside the hole then you could still drop liquid solder in there and it would harden withing seconds. I seriously doubt it could do any damage.

dashehonda
06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Pure lead, but its not easy to come by, with it being "poisonous"

hatchman_ep
08-15-2008, 12:03 AM
the razo wr spec leather weighs 240g and matches perfectly

oldschoolimport
08-15-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm like you with the stock knob. I had a spoon knob, but went back to stock. I even picked up a stock EP knob to use in my 86 Si. maybe I like it coz I'm old, but it just feels right to me.

05si
08-17-2008, 10:09 PM
You might try some lead fishing weights the same diameter as the shaft. I don't know if you can get enough in there to make any difference.