PDA

View Full Version : K24 Head Swap?

Blown_ep3
06-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Hey guys... new to the board and had a couple questions. I'm sure these may have already been answered, but in my quick review I didn't get an immediate answer. Feel free to respond with forum links, I would appreciate it.

I am currently running a stock K20a3 in my hatch with a JRSC 5PSI kit, header-back exhaust, and thats about it. Nothing insane. I'm not looking to make a ton of power, but am interested in a k24 head swap. Is this even possible? Can we swap just the K24 heads onto the K20a3 block? I have come across a number of good deals on K24 heads, and I would think ANYTHING should flow better than the a3 head(according to the world, this head blows for flow).

Any info on this? Is K-Pro going to HAVE to be used if I do a head-swap? I know I may lose the JRSC if I do this swap, but I can deal with that. Hell it would re-coupe some cost anyways.

Thanks for any information guys!

Deadphishy
06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
A k24 head would fit fine on an a3 block. You can even keep your blower.
The k24a1 head is a very high flowing head with the same i-vtec set up that the a3 has. The safest and best was to do it will be with k-pro, You might start to lean out up top with the extra airflow. I don't know how good the powercord would work on this set up.

Here are some pictures of the ports of a k24a1(CR-V) head vs. a k24a2 (TSX) Keep in mind the TSX head flows better then our stock k20a3 head.

k24a1
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/SV100046.jpg

k24a2
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/SV100042.jpg

You can get a k24a1 head pretty cheap. And i think you'll see some gain from the major increase in flow. Add some cams made for low boost. and maybe the smaller race pully, and your talking 220-230whp range.

davisj3537
06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Can I put the k24a1 head on my k20a3?
Yes you can. You will see decent gains. Also remember to buy a head gasket for the k20a3 and not the k24a1. You also need an exhaust gasket for the k24a1 since it is a bit bigger.

Gilmour
06-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes but don't sell your blower to do this swap, that would be a total loss.:mcry:

davisj3537
06-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Kpro should really be utilized.

welawson89
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
What about putting a k20a1 head on k24a1 block?

slo_k20
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
sorry that's not a motor :doh:

jeffgeezer
07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
sorry if i'm thread jacking, but i'm trying to do the same thing too. Does anybody know where to get a k24a1 head besides junkyards, car-part.com, and stuff? i already spoke to papi, but he only got long blocks for the moment. Is there anybody here selling selling one right now? there's none in classifieds..hehe! i guess i already answered my question

kprocivic
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
sorry if i'm thread jacking, but i'm trying to do the same thing too. Does anybody know where to get a k24a1 head besides junkyards, car-part.com, and stuff? i already spoke to papi, but he only got long blocks for the moment. Is there anybody here selling selling one right now? there's none in classifieds..hehe! i guess i already answered my question

try k20a.com or clubrsx.

b.r.i.a.n.
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM

try k20a.org. a lot of people do the franks so these heads are abundant.

i personally wouldn't waste my time with this head swap. with all the labor that goes into it, it's not worth it. if you're any head swap you might as well toss in a set of cams and upgrade the valvetrain.

jeffgeezer
07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
try k20a.com or clubrsx.

thanks, dude!

try k20a.org. a lot of people do the franks so these heads are abundant.

i personally wouldn't waste my time with this head swap. with all the labor that goes into it, it's not worth it. if you're any head swap you might as well toss in a set of cams and upgrade the valvetrain.

tnx! i already ordered the cams and the whole valvetrain. so it's gonna be a jrsc-r 3.8 pulley k20a3/k24a1 head w/ bc stg2 cams