PDA

View Full Version : help! lights dont work

danielakatoxic
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
i was picking up my girlfriend after work and the sun was setting so i turn on my lights. i noticed no change so i flciked them on and off and still nothing. i pulled over to notice my lights werent on. i hit my high beams and they worked. i dont understand why my lows dont work. i went straight to autozone and bought a set of lights and the same thing happened. no lows but highs work.

anyone have any idea whats going on?

i also have an 02 if that makes a diff. since 02-03 and 04-05 lights are different.

thisisagame24
06-30-2008, 08:13 PM
check the fuses mang

danielakatoxic
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
i checked the left and right headlight fuses. they were fine.

thisisagame24
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
not sure....i dont know much about the 02 headlights.....goodluck homie

danielakatoxic
06-30-2008, 09:14 PM
yea, hopefully someone on the board will know what might be wrong.

oneglory
06-30-2008, 09:28 PM
did you get the stalk wet?
are you sure the fuses were good?

danielakatoxic
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
did you get the stalk wet?
are you sure the fuses were good?

stalk? what is a stalk?

and i looked at them and they looked fine.

oneglory
06-30-2008, 09:42 PM
the black plastic switch pertruding from the steering column.

hmm...I can't remember if there are any fuses for the lights in the under dash fuse box.

danielakatoxic
06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
the black plastic switch pertruding from the steering column.

hmm...I can't remember if there are any fuses for the lights in the under dash fuse box.

no i dont think so. its been sunny out the last couple of days and my windows are up when im not in it.

but would that mess up my lows if it were to get wet? because my highs still work.

AFG
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
i think i know exactly what it is. It happened to me. If you have after market lights, most of them draw higher wattage from the switch that turns the lights on and off. By drawing this high wattage the switch thing can not cope, and burns out.

i had mine fixed under warranty, but my dumb ass put on after market lights to look cool and it got fried again. all i have are fog lights now. even high beams are done.

Look under the black plastic between the steering wheel and gauges. if you see fried wires that is what it is.

hope this helped. good luck.

-Navid

danielakatoxic
07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
i think i know exactly what it is. It happened to me. If you have after market lights, most of them draw higher wattage from the switch that turns the lights on and off. By drawing this high wattage the switch thing can not cope, and burns out.

i had mine fixed under warranty, but my dumb ass put on after market lights to look cool and it got fried again. all i have are fog lights now. even high beams are done.

Look under the black plastic between the steering wheel and gauges. if you see fried wires that is what it is.

hope this helped. good luck.

-Navid

thats interesting. i just looked at my lights and noticed that they are piaa's. ive just recently bought this ep so i guess the ppl before me had them in like that. =/.

i shouldve noticed the lights were different because this is my second ep. so is the only way to fix it is to get it replaced by honda?

Danman281
07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
thats interesting. i just looked at my lights and noticed that they are piaa's. ive just recently bought this ep so i guess the ppl before me had them in like that. =/.

i shouldve noticed the lights were different because this is my second ep. so is the only way to fix it is to get it replaced by honda?

Don't quote me on this but I remember hearing problems with the 02's headlights burning out all the time. I forgot why but I think I read it somewhere. Hopefully we might still have some of that info in the search. If not then it probably got wiped out

Be careful with the warranty though, because if they diagnose it and fix it, then finally realized it was an after market part that caused it, they will charge you money. (at least for the diagnostic which is about 45-90 bucks)

Chad
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
IIRC there was a recall on the switch assembly in the 02's

oneglory
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
oh yea, I forgot about the recall. I haven't had this issue with my 02.

jimmyjames
07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
There is a recall on the switch assembly but there is also an issue with relays failing.
I had the exact same issue as the OP and took it in under warranty. They replaced a bad relay (or relays)

There is a relay (or two) in the under hood fuse box that controls the headlights. When you turn on the headlights, you'll hear a click from it (put your finger on and you'll feel it to)
If you hear/feel no click when the headlights are turned on, you need to replace it. Cheap replacement from Honda.

I would investigate the recall though first.
Print out the text I posted below and bring it into a dealership with your car.
Oh, and if they want you to pay for a "diagnostic fee" just decline that and tell them you should probably just call American Honda to have this issue resolved instead...watch them hop to it. ;)
You may actually want to call the number first and get the ok to bring it in. Ask them if the dealership will be charging you any money for an inspection. When they tell you no, then you have ammo at the dealership.

The formal recall on the headlight switch though is listed below:
Recall ID # 04V086000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS - Hide Details
Recall Date: FEB 24, 2004
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Model Affected: CIVIC
Potential Units Affected: 440000

Recall Date:
FEB 24, 2004

Model Affected:
2002 HONDA CIVIC

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE LOW-BEAM TERMINAL ON THE HEAD LIGHT WIRE HARNESS CAN OVERHEAT AND COULD CAUSE THE LOW BEAMS TO FAIL WITHOUT WARNING.

Consequence:
AN UNEXPECTED LOSS OF LOW BEAMS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND COUPLER FOR SIGNS OF HEAT DAMAGE. IF HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE SWITCH AND COUPLER. IF NO HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND ONE MATING PIN IN THE COUPLER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. P23

danielakatoxic
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
There is a recall on the switch assembly but there is also an issue with relays failing.
I had the exact same issue as the OP and took it in under warranty. They replaced a bad relay (or relays)

There is a relay (or two) in the under hood fuse box that controls the headlights. When you turn on the headlights, you'll hear a click from it (put your finger on and you'll feel it to)
If you hear/feel no click when the headlights are turned on, you need to replace it. Cheap replacement from Honda.

I would investigate the recall though first.
Print out the text I posted below and bring it into a dealership with your car.
Oh, and if they want you to pay for a "diagnostic fee" just decline that and tell them you should probably just call American Honda to have this issue resolved instead...watch them hop to it. ;)
You may actually want to call the number first and get the ok to bring it in. Ask them if the dealership will be charging you any money for an inspection. When they tell you no, then you have ammo at the dealership.

The formal recall on the headlight switch though is listed below:
Recall ID # 04V086000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS - Hide Details
Recall Date: FEB 24, 2004
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Model Affected: CIVIC
Potential Units Affected: 440000

Recall Date:
FEB 24, 2004

Model Affected:
2002 HONDA CIVIC

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE LOW-BEAM TERMINAL ON THE HEAD LIGHT WIRE HARNESS CAN OVERHEAT AND COULD CAUSE THE LOW BEAMS TO FAIL WITHOUT WARNING.

Consequence:
AN UNEXPECTED LOSS OF LOW BEAMS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND COUPLER FOR SIGNS OF HEAT DAMAGE. IF HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE SWITCH AND COUPLER. IF NO HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND ONE MATING PIN IN THE COUPLER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. P23

so they should fix it with no problem? although i am not under warranty?

jimmyjames
07-02-2008, 05:10 AM
so they should fix it with no problem? although i am not under warranty?If it is a result of the recall, they will fix it regardless of mileage. (Assuming you have not spliced anything into your factory wiring)
If it is not a result of the recall, they can still fix it (it will probably be the relay) but it will cost you). As I said though, find the right relay and replace it yourself and it is only a few bucks.
Follow up on the recall stuff first (today, now, go)

danielakatoxic
07-02-2008, 07:10 AM
If it is a result of the recall, they will fix it regardless of mileage. (Assuming you have not spliced anything into your factory wiring)
If it is not a result of the recall, they can still fix it (it will probably be the relay) but it will cost you). As I said though, find the right relay and replace it yourself and it is only a few bucks.
Follow up on the recall stuff first (today, now, go)

now im confused. what will the relay do?

and i am about to call the 1800 stuff and i guess go from there.

Chad
07-02-2008, 07:15 AM

That was going to be my next suggestion :mbiggrin:

Sometimes a failed relay will still "click," what happens is that a headlamp is a dead short for the first instant the fimament is cold, because the resistance (impedance) is so low at this moment the current at startup is very high, this is called inrush current, this can and will eventually eat away at the contacts of the relay and cause them to rough up and /or get enough contaminants such as carbon and oxidation on them to no longer conduct, although the mechanical side of the relay will still work. Worst case is that this carbon buildup will cause the connection resistance to go up and create heat which can literally melt the contactor arm right off :mtongue:

Now, my BIG question is... If the headlamp switch simply controls a relay or series of relays to switch the lighting on and off, how the hell were they managing to burn up the harness in the 02's on the CONTROL SIDE of the relay? :mangel:

jimmyjames
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
now im confused. what will the relay do?

and i am about to call the 1800 stuff and i guess go from there.Relay is an electronic switch. If it is bad, replacing it will fix your problem.
However, pursue the recall route first.

danielakatoxic
07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
i called the 800 number and they said that my ep wasn't within the certain time frame the batch of cars that had that problem were made. so my ep wont be covered by the recall

jimmyjames
07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
i called the 800 number and they said that my ep wasn't within the certain time frame the batch of cars that had that problem were made. so my ep wont be covered by the recall
Likely story. Anyway, they are most likely right.
Replace your headlamp relay (or relays if there are more than one, not sure right now)
You should be able to get them at Honda.
After that, they should work again.

danielakatoxic
07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
i checked the relays, and they both "click" so it wont be them.

jimmyjames
07-05-2008, 07:25 AM
i checked the relays, and they both "click" so it wont be them.See post 19, try swapping relays with someone else to see if they work.

illusionsoflife
07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
maybe you blew your low beams? i would go with fuses. you checked under the hood and steering colum?

danielakatoxic
07-06-2008, 03:01 AM
i got tired of the run around honda was giving me and my dad new a guy, so i took it to him. bulbs are good, relays are good, fuses are good, and switch assembly was good. i had a bad connector. changed it out and now im fine.

thanks for all the help everyone.:mwink: