PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Numbers - K24a2

Slip_Angle
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Took my car to a Superflow dyno today and got some numbers. First let me say this stuff confuses me. The car started making 160whp or there about until I switched tunes and it then made 175whp. Then the dyno operator noticed there was some parameter incorrect on the dyno and changed it. The change took just a couple of seconds and I didn't see what it was but that seemed to fix the low numbers.

In the end the printout says the engine put out 231.4 hp and 198.9 ft/lbs (engine). What I don't get is the conversion from whp, which was 179.7 whp and 159.3 wtq. If you factor 16% maximum drivetrain loss that's 208hp and 180ft/lbs (engine) :confused:

I asked the dyno operator about the above 16% number and he said conversion wasn't that simple. The dyno figures it out.

Anyways, if there is someone who can enlighten me, that would be nice. I like to understand the details of how things work.

Mods:

K24a2
2.5 Custom exhaust /w cat, resonator and stock muffler
HP Shorty headers
TSX Intake Manifold
Custom Cold Air Intake

jerseyjew
07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I do not really know what your tuner was talking about, but 231hp sounds a tad bit on the high side for your setup!

Lucid Moments
07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
This is why I don't really like to compare dyno #'s. There is too much shit that can be changed. You're motor has 200 hp to the crank stock. I really don't see the modest mods you have done giving it an extra 31 HP. Thats 15.7% by my math.

Or I guess what I'm saying is that the dyno operator made the numbers artificially high because he that that would make the customer happy.

03Ep3617
07-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I guess what I'm saying is that the dyno operator made the numbers artificially high because he that that would make the customer happy.

:mwink: I agree no way hes making that much with the two or so ok 4 mods he's got. Still sounds inflated.

:hand:

Oh no Kpro nor larger injectors not sure bout that.

03Ep3617
07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh yeah got off topic the engine Hp to WHP differs by up to 20% so if u reduce the % by the BHP you will get WHP and in this case i think he might have inflated something still.

If not I guess its a goodie for ya no two tunes or cars are the same anyways.

Slip_Angle
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok, I thought these numbers seems a bit high as well but apparently they are very close. I checked out Hondata's dyno results for the reflash as can be seen here http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx.html

With the reflash they made 175wtq and 200whp, which translates to about 230hp and 200tq.

I posted the same question on k20a.org and over there they seem to think it's correct.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45812&highlight=k24a2+dyno

kon
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
To me the most important thing is how the car feels. If it responds well and pulls hard (or harder then it did before the tune) then your doing fine. Does it feel strong?

Slip_Angle
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
To me the most important thing is how the car feels. If it responds well and pulls hard (or harder then it did before the tune) then your doing fine. Does it feel strong?

Yes, it feels very strong. What amazes me the most is that it has tons of torque and power in the heat we have now, which is 29-31 degrees the past few days. (84-89F)

What gets me though is that I've been tuning my car using Theta Dyno with great results but I wanted to eventually go and see what it actually put down for a "number". I didn't do any tuning on the dyno, just got a number.

but in the end, it appears the number is just a number and may or may not be accurate. Sigh.

sittinlow
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, it feels very strong. What amazes me the most is that it has tons of torque and power in the heat we have now, which is 29-31 degrees the past few days. (84-89F)

What gets me though is that I've been tuning my car using Theta Dyno with great results but I wanted to eventually go and see what it actually put down for a "number". I didn't do any tuning on the dyno, just got a number.

but in the end, it appears the number is just a number and may or may not be accurate. Sigh.

haha.... heat... try 113 here.

Slip_Angle
07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Ok, I thought these numbers seems a bit high as well but apparently they are very close. I checked out Hondata's dyno results for the reflash as can be seen here http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx.html

With the reflash they made 175wtq and 200whp, which translates to about 230hp and 200tq.

I posted the same question on k20a.org and over there they seem to think it's correct.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45812&highlight=k24a2+dyno

Oops. After looking at the Hondata dyno again, it appears those numbers were not whp/wtq, which means they made 200hp and 175tq at the flywheel..

dj addicted
07-01-2008, 07:14 PM
also keep in mind... just getting your car dynoed is like a big dick contest. Everybody whips it out and everyone stares.... anotherwards, you are gay and wasted money. It means nothing really. Dynos are a tuning tool. If after your tuning adjustment the car pulls harder and you are still within a safe boundary of the motor then the dyno did its job. Who cares about the numbers on the paper. Run the car at the strip or roadcourse and you will see if the power gets you where you want to be.

Slip_Angle
07-01-2008, 08:29 PM
also keep in mind... just getting your car dynoed is like a big dick contest. Everybody whips it out and everyone stares.... anotherwards, you are gay and wasted money. It means nothing really. Dynos are a tuning tool. If after your tuning adjustment the car pulls harder and you are still within a safe boundary of the motor then the dyno did its job. Who cares about the numbers on the paper. Run the car at the strip or roadcourse and you will see if the power gets you where you want to be.

I can see your point but my motivation was to officially measure all of the previous street tuning I had done using Theta Dyno. Chalk it up to a $190 lesson learned I guess.