PDA

View Full Version : when do you guys fill up?

fishboy
07-12-2002, 12:01 PM
i fill it up when i see the light turn on. that usually means 10 gallons. our manual says we have 13 gallons, but i don't push it, for some reason i get freaked. what about you guys? do you guys wait for like 60 miles after you see the light come on or do you guys fill it up when the light pops on? or am i the only one that thinks this is a big enough deal to post a thread on?

stingyboy
07-12-2002, 12:20 PM
are those numbers accurate...i mean what is tank capacity and how many gallons left make the light come on?

as you can tell, i don't read the instructions. :p

DynaSpeed
07-12-2002, 12:40 PM
the tank is 13.1 gallons... or something like that.

And yes, i wait about 75 miles after the light comes on. THEN, even after its almost touching the letter E (which is WAAAY below the E line) I fill it up. And even then, I can only get like 12 gallons and some change in it. And at 30 mpg, thats another almost 30 miles, so I keep pushing it a little farther every time. One of these times I'll prolly get burned, but at least I'll know when the needle *really* means 0 gas.

xlr8
07-12-2002, 01:17 PM
i fill it before the light comes on normally

SmoothOperator
07-12-2002, 02:21 PM
i fill it before the light comes on normally

So do I. Isn't it bad to be using gas from the bottom of your tank?

02TafWhtSi
07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
[i]Isn't it bad to be using gas from the bottom of your tank?

:confused: - Isn't it all mixed together? I don't think we have a seperate reserve tank that is only used when the primary is empty. Then again - who knows with Honda these days.

BlazeX12
07-12-2002, 03:09 PM
to change the subject on when, i know someone posted awhile back about what you put in there, 87 89 or 93. well, i saw a special on some show, forget where, that 89 because its in the middle, and most ppl either use the best 93 or the cheapest 87, that the 89 sits in the tank for awhile, and in some cases water started to mix with the gas, which if you continue to use 89 that has alot of water, its bad for the engine. Cars dont run on water yet, though honda prolly is working on it. Just thought i'd throw that in...

ApexinSi
07-12-2002, 03:15 PM
I drive with the light on often...I'll even go past the redline but not near the E. I've been curious how many miles someone has gotten out of a full tank of gas to the last 1/2 gallon or so.

FourJays
07-12-2002, 04:13 PM
When walking home would really suck. ;)

stingyboy
07-12-2002, 04:25 PM
i *just* filled 'er up today. the needle was barely past the bottom line but not to the top of the "E" yet. it took 10.8 gallons of fuel from there.

capacity is 13.2. so that means even slightly below the bottom line there is still 2.4 gallons left in the tank.

i drove 284.7 miles on that 10.8 gallons = 26.36mpg.

so i could've gone another 50 miles (conservative estimate) bringing the tank down to about a half gallon from empty.

means i can go about 335 miles on a single tank before limping into a gas station.

xlr8
07-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator

yes, its because of deposits that may have settled out of the gas, but our cars shouldnt have that problem yet. i still dont want to get into the habit of letting it get low. on a different note, am i the only one getting over 32mpg?

punkdork
07-12-2002, 05:22 PM
I tend to get around 24-28 mpg. I drive a lot of short trips (I live close to work). On the highway I get nice mileage. I normally fill up when the light comes on and I end up putting in about 10 gallons and showing 250-270 miles on the trip.

stingyboy
07-12-2002, 08:00 PM
on the topic of fuel economy, would a 10% increase in horsepower from an i/h/e set-up effect gas mileage? since the same weight is being pulled by a stronger engine, it seems to me that mpg would incease. true?

xlr8, not to sound too cynical, but i find it hard to believe you'd be getting more than 32 mpg...are you sure you're doing the math right?

xlr8
07-12-2002, 08:38 PM
339 miles and i put in 10.45 galons. go ahead and chech the math

miamijdm
07-13-2002, 06:31 AM
when do I fill up? are you refering to gas or nitrous? lol

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-13-2002, 04:18 PM
i fill up when the light turns on... i dont really wanna keep on driving.. i heard its bad to drive like that.

02TafWhtSi
07-13-2002, 07:24 PM
I honestly find it really annoying to let it go down that low. I'm really nervous that it'll run out and I won't be anywhere near a gas station - I usually fill her up between a 1/4 tank and an 1/8 left - usually takes about 9 gallons.

civicracer1128
07-15-2002, 08:28 AM
the other reason that they say not to let your gas go too low is that sedement builds up at the bottom of your tank. its probibly ok with a 2002, not enough time to build up shit. but later could be a problem. but i wonder.....if you ran it dry every time you filled up....would any sedement at all build up????:)

civic hatch boi
08-01-2002, 06:37 AM
"sediments build up"

they should have a gas tank change.. just like an oil change :) and clean that sucker once in a while.

MoodySi
08-29-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
"sediments build up"

they should have a gas tank change.. just like an oil change :) and clean that sucker once in a while.

Isn't that what the fuel filter is for?

redronin22
08-29-2002, 05:27 PM
my car is usually half full or empty whatever. Its lighter so theoretically I can go faster hehe. Well i think so anyways. Would it help much to remove spare tire from car? How much does that sucker weigh? Would that. When i do fill er up all the way Im getting around 280 miles per tank with 9 gallons so 32 mpg sounds about right. I dont gun it very much and usually shift like a granny aroun 3-5 k. When i drive a bit more agressive i get around 25 mpg. Throw in the fact that i do most of my driving on SO cals parking lots 405-91-22-605 etc. Wish there was another gear in the box sometimes. Does anyone else feel that 4k rpm is a bit high for freeway crusing?

Never use Arco. I used it once an i got 220 mpg for 8.6 gallons. Wadda they put in theya? Watta?

SLOlife
08-29-2002, 05:55 PM
32 mpg!!!!

Around town I am lucky to get 25, even following my friends towing a boat at 65 mph on the freeway the best I get is 33 mpg.

I don't drive it hard at all, I think the AC robs alot of power/mileage.

nikkotyper
08-29-2002, 06:06 PM
I get between 27 and 30 mpg depending on driving.
But, I do drive a lot on the freeway.

I wish our 5th gear was taller - maybe we can swap one our from an EX civic or an aftermarker company will make a taller 5th gear. That would be cool: leave the first 4 for fun and make 5th taller for cruising...

Spidey
08-30-2002, 01:46 AM
from what I have "read" it's not good for the fuel pump( or something like that) when its near empty. As well you start to lose gas mileage when its less than half full.
Again I am not 100% sure, this is what I have read and I don't recall where or when I read it.
I tend to fill up at half tank

02blksi
08-30-2002, 06:55 AM

actually the fuel pump never "sits" on the bottom of the tank like so many think, it is suspended in the tank. The pickup for the fuel pump also has an inline streamer where it sucks gas up so that dirt and debri get caught there first . then for the really small particles that pass through the system, it then goes directly into your fuel filter, which in turn goes into your engine. so basically fuel is pretty clean no matter what before it goes into your engine. Btw, i dont fill up until the light comes on either (i always want to see how many MPG im getting per tank) --joe

DynaSpeed
08-30-2002, 09:24 AM
i dont fill up until the light comes on either (i always want to see how many MPG im getting per tank) Not a very accurate way to gauge that, I don't think. I think that light comes on at very weird intervals. But, close enough if that's all you're looking for. A much more accurate way (for anybody wondering) to gauge is top it off totally. Then reset your trip OD, drive as long as you want (it doesn't matter, 25 miles or 250 miles), then fill it up totally again. However many gallons you get in the second time / how many miles you went = miles per gallon.

Tested the tank again over the weekend too. Needle was "fully" into the letter "E". Got a little uneasy just because I had somebody in the car (I woulda felt bad), and I was between "Bumville" and "St. Cornfield" on I-96. But, in any case I pulled off and got in 12.3 gallons. Good for almost another 25 miles! DAYUM! I woulda loved getting 390 miles outta 1 tank. That trip (full highway... avg. speed 82... some with A/C) was 30.5 mpg.

02blksi
08-30-2002, 09:31 AM
okkkkkkkkkkkkk.....

or you can just get gas, DONT MOVE, reset trip A odometer, Proceed until the light comes on again. see what you got (ballpark) divided by how many gallons you put in originally, presto bang wammooo MPG :) --joe

02-sir
08-30-2002, 10:05 AM
I sometimes find big differences in MPG between two fills. I think if there's any difference in the full level betweeen different pumps, (or if an air buble gets trapped) it can throw the readings off quite a bit, but I've only hit 30mpg once

I personally don't believe in the bad to suck gas from the bottom of the tank issue because I believe the pick-up is fixed a set distance from the bottom of the tank anyways (it doesn't float and suck gas from the uppermost part of the tank). It's bad to run out of gas because the fuel acts as a coolant/lubricant for the fuel pump and also keeps a load on the pump to stop it from over revving.