PDA

View Full Version : handr spring compressor?

pjnoto
07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
will i need a spring compressor to install handr sport springs?

smoody
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
will i need a spring compressor to install handr sport springs?

you shouldn't have to, I didn't. I put my weight on top of it and have somebody put on the nut. I weigh 120 so you shouldn't have to worry about spring compressor

v1c10us
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
i reccomend it for removing the old springs, you can blast your head off with the strut.

phister
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
yeah a spring compressor from an autoshop cost like 30 bucks or so. I have one since I've changed my springs and struts so many times.

v1c10us
07-02-2008, 12:48 AM
autozone will rent you the part and when you bring it back they give you the money back

MR.Pizza
07-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I've heard of the springs shooting off and nearly decapitating people on other cars. However mine came off without a compressor and had nearly no tension. Lowering springs went on without any problem by hand, I believe they're shorter. Having one handy isn't a bad idea though.

ep_hatcher_510
07-02-2008, 01:17 AM
I've heard of the springs shooting off and nearly decapitating people on other cars. However mine came off without a compressor and had nearly no tension. Lowering springs went on without any problem by hand, I believe they're shorter. Having one handy isn't a bad idea though.

yep same here, no tension at all, well maybe a lil but sure not enough to shoot out at you. Just push down while u loosen the top nut, or have a friend hold it down if you are concerned.

oldschoolimport
07-02-2008, 05:32 AM
remove the top strut rod nut while the car is on the ground. when you jack the car up, you are decompressing the springs. when its up, disassemble, and remove the old springs. no spring compressor needed. :mwink:

davisj3537
07-02-2008, 06:27 AM
I have never used a spring compressor on any car I have ever worked on...complete waste of time. Shooting off and hurting someone is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard of.:pound:

soncep
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
You don't need a compressor to remove springs. This is verry little tension in it when it's extended on the strut. If you want, just remove the nuts before you jack the car. On the other hand, if you have the strut in your hands, just lean in on the ground loosen the nut and then hit it with an impact gun. The spring will do Bong... and move about 3 inches and every thing will be good.

I never used a spring compressor when i installed lowering springs. If you put back the stock springs, then yes, a compressor would be usefull but i feel they are soooooo dangerous.