PDA

View Full Version : cracking noise from the rear

moso
07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
i just got a progress rear sway bar and skunk lca everything is tight and fits good but today i noticed there is a little crack noise coming from the rear on heavy bumps or steep drive ways, anyone know what it might be from? o and the car is dropped on neuspeed springs if that helps

smoody
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
i just got a progress rear sway bar and skunk lca everything is tight and fits good but today i noticed there is a little crack noise coming from the rear on heavy bumps or steep drive ways, anyone know what it might be from? o and the car is dropped on neuspeed springs if that helps

I'm guessing the rear struts are going out. I think neuspeed springs is known to be the springs that sags most in the rear, so yeah maybe struts maybe?

moso
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
ya im thinking sturts too u think a strut bar will do?

v1c10us
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
no, a strut bar wont do anything to fix a blown strut.
The neuspeeds are very low and very soft, meaning those struts are getting a ton of movement while overly compressed, this is a very quick way to blow struts.

However, it is more likely that you did not grease the bushings when installing your progress rear sway, and this is whats causing the creaking.

moso
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
i did greace the bushing i mean i dunno if i greased it enough =/ im having the worst day my car wasnt going into 1st gear either after i ran a friends eg hatch i launched it at 3500rpm and the car didnt grip second now i have to roll back on reverse about 5 inches then put it to 1st. And what would be the best way to fix the struts? or stop the problems

v1c10us
07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
if its the struts, replace them.
if your on a budget replace them with stock or oem replacement
but those will blow eventually too, so you would have to get something like tokico d-specs
if its the bushings, grease them more.
Or you can get stock struts and Civic type R springs which will work fine and wont blow your struts and lower the car a little without being so durn extreme like the neuspeeds.

moso
07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
ya i have 17s and the back is practically tucked (even though it looks good) is it something serious or can i lag it until i get tein basic coilovers ?

v1c10us
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I mean, its not serious in that its not really dangerous.
But the handling of the car will get worse and worse the more they go out, the ride quality will start to go down the toilet.
if i were getting coilovers i wouldnt bother replacing them.

moso
07-03-2008, 12:03 AM
but do the struts blow that easy? i mean ive had the sway bar on only for about 2 days and the day i installed it i did not hear anything its just today that i heard something the ride quality is fuckin awesome compared to stock lol but its just the drive way parts i think the shocks are not adjusting much which causes the wheel to go in the air and i guess that might cause pressure on the strut?

v1c10us
07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
if it is the struts it has nothing to do with your sway bar and the timing was just a coincidence.
another possibility is your endlinks are shot, they can sometimes make a crackly noise.

moso
07-03-2008, 12:21 AM
so basically fuck it all have fun until i get the coil overs then i will check out if there is any further problems?

v1c10us
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
well, you might as well replace your endlinks anyway, they're like 80 bucks for the v2 endlinks from corsport and they're much better than the shitty OEM ones. if that fixes the problem then you're straight.

moso
07-03-2008, 12:40 AM
i cant find any end links would you happen to have some links?

v1c10us
07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=722
those are the ones i've got on my ep3

moso
07-03-2008, 01:12 AM
thnx dat website is awesome

MR.Pizza
07-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Double check your endlinks like v1c10us said, the way you described the noise sounds just like it. But also double check the sway bar isn't installed upside down. I know how it sounds but it's happened to more than a few of us. That and the 22mm sways have been known to bind on some aftermarket exhausts.

Oh and shout out, I used to live in North Hollywood. Remember that crazy bank robbery.

moso
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
how can it be upside down though? if it was upside down would the tie bar still fit?

v1c10us
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
yes, i installed mine upside down the first time too, and this can quickly blow dem endlinks.
i can tell from your picture though that you have it correct.
you can see on the left side where it bends up and away from the lca
if it was upside down it would be pointing toards it not away.

moso
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
im probably going to have it checked out some place where they do alignment because i am hundred percent sure i did everything correct

jjr007
07-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Maybe the cracking sound is your exhaust banging down on the bigger sway bar.
Also, check out Hotchkis end links, they are the Mercedes of end links.

moso
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
it doesnt sound like its hitting something what i thought it might be is since my springs are too short and the wheel pulls on the shock the spring is so short that it gets out of place and then it makes the noise then when it drops it makes a little clicking noise

!@#$%
07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I've had the dspecs for 4 years now and the rears are starting to do that same thing; it only took 6 months while lowered on the oem shocks. I guess the dspec's time has finally come to an end for me.

jjr007
07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
it doesnt sound like its hitting something what i thought it might be is since my springs are too short and the wheel pulls on the shock the spring is so short that it gets out of place and then it makes the noise then when it drops it makes a little clicking noise
When you said it was a cracking noise I was thinking a loud noise, a little clicking noise sounds more like end links.

moso
07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
its not super loud nor low its just something you can hear in the cabin and it usually happens when the wheel is about to lift

moso
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Ok guys so long story short i raised my car today for and oil change and guess what the rear sway bar is snapped where the metal pieces hold the bushings in place the right one was completly bent down missing the top bolt obviously so i put some heavy duty washers and had my big friend which i work with tighten that bitch down so well c how it turns out

!@#$%
07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok guys so long story short i raised my car today for and oil change and guess what the rear sway bar is snapped where the metal pieces hold the bushings in place the right one was completly bent down missing the top bolt obviously so i put some heavy duty washers and had my big friend which i work with tighten that bitch down so well c how it turns out

Do you mean the bar physically broke in half but was still bolted together?

Drew1d
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM

They pulled out of the car? that sucks dude.

moso
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
ok the piece highlighted was bent back and the nut highlighted was missing and the bushing was also the wrong way all of a sudden but i fixed everything

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/dc5freak/RSX_sway_bars.jpg

!@#$%
07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
ok the piece highlighted was bent back and the nut highlighted was missing and the bushing was also the wrong way all of a sudden but i fixed everything

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/dc5freak/RSX_sway_bars.jpg

thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check mine sometime Thursday. I know EXACTLY what you meant by cracking noise.

moso
07-16-2008, 08:05 AM
ya thank god i saw it there is no more noises at all

BobSassafrass
07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Eever since I installed my progress sway I get a cracking/ticking noise when I turn. Its from the muffler hitting the bar and endlinks with bad bushings. I dunno if yours is the same issue but I've never had a performance problem because of it.

AliG-EP3
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Man, I wish I still had my hotchkis endlinks, I'd hand em on over to you bud!

!@#$%
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
My bolts and everything were fine on my sway. I did grease the hell out of the lower control arm bushings, because it looked like they were the ones binding. Most of the noises are gone for now. We'll see how long it takes for them to come back.