PDA

View Full Version : 1st GEAR PROBLEM PLZZZZZ HELP

moso
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
ok so today i launched my car at about 3500rpm and right when i was about to shift to 2nd it didnt go in, and now my car wont go to 1st it feels like its locked or something, it goes into every other gear just fine though. The only way to take off is either on 2nd or i have to put it to reverse back up about 5 inches then put it to 1st while still rolling. Plz someone help me and let me know what i can do. O and btw the car has about 43k on the engine i dont know if the clutch has ever been changed because i am not the 1st owner :mfrown: PLZZ HELPP

Ba82Ep3
07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Let the car cool off completely. Do not start the car. Depress the clutch and put it in 5th and then go to 4th and 3rd and so on. Work your way down to 1st. If it dosnt want to go into 1st. Wiggle the shifter in/out and around till it does go in. Put it into 2nd and then back to 1st if you feel it helps. The first time it drops into 1st it will feel/sound like shit. Once it does, pull it out and go to reverse. Then 5th, 4th, repeat and so on. Repeat this several times. Once you can get it in 1st consistently... change the tranny fluid to either GM synchromesh or the yellow bottle of Pennzoil synchromesh (cheaper 7$ a bottle). Start your car and drive around SENSIBLY for a few days till the notchiness eases up. IF YOU REPEAT YOUR PREVIOUS MISTAKE YOU WILL END UP IN THE SAME PLACE YOU STARTED. Doing more damage.

Also, double check your shift linkage, make sure they are not crossed over each other. They should be side by side and not wrapped around each other. Hope this helps.

moso
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
they are side by side and ive had some problems like dis but not this major u think the clutch might need alignment? or u think i need a new clutch?

Tnhatch03
07-02-2008, 11:17 PM
i am thinking you messed up your syncros.

Ba82Ep3
07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
they are side by side and ive had some problems like dis but not this major u think the clutch might need alignment? or u think i need a new clutch?

Yep... TNHATCH is right. You messed up the 1-2 synchro. The clutch isnt your problem. Try what i posted earlier... if it doesnt work... then prep for some repair costs.

moso
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
if u dont mind me asking what is the 1-2 synchro and how does it get messed up sorry if its a noob question

clujalolo
07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
i had this problem with my 3rd gear, so i just drove around for about 30 mins, and it slowly started to go back in and now its just fine.

what happened with me was that i downshifted into third and i just grinded the hell out of it, and im guessing it got really hot and it wouldn't go in anymore.....

moso
07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
i have a feelings mines is the same but my dad says the clutch might need alignment/adjustments since i kinda always have problems with my 1st i hate my fuckinn transmission man the ep3 stock tranny is garbage i think lol it cant take any abuse at all

02TWSI
07-03-2008, 12:31 AM
i have a feelings mines is the same but my dad says the clutch might need alignment/adjustments since i kinda always have problems with my 1st i hate my fuckinn transmission man the ep3 stock tranny is garbage i think lol it cant take any abuse at all

it can take abuse, when it's done right and you don't slam your car into the transmission gates :spit:

moso
07-03-2008, 12:33 AM
eh well it didnt take this abuse and after its been like three hours i just went in the car and tried to put it in but it doesnt go in unless u force it a bit or take it off of reverse and put it in hopefully tomorrow morning it will b fine

Tnhatch03
07-03-2008, 12:34 AM
i doubt you giving the car time to think it over will work.

i tried that once and i didn't get it running for about a year. she was definately pissed off at me.

take it to a dealership and see what they say.

moso
07-03-2008, 12:37 AM
u just put all my hopes down lol i mean things like this have happened she forgived me most of the times but dis one seems like shes really pissed i mean dont get me wrong guys it goes into gear but it takes some effort to put it in there lol

Tnhatch03
07-03-2008, 12:45 AM
u just put all my hopes down lol i mean things like this have happened she forgived me most of the times but dis one seems like shes really pissed i mean dont get me wrong guys it goes into gear but it takes some effort to put it in there lol

lol. my bad man. i don't want to tell you everything will be okay and then it won't and then go on a mass killing spree :fencing:. haha.

there are just some things they do not get over.

you chop your finger off it does not work, but convincing yourself that if you simply put the chopped finger back where it was and it will heal itself will not work either. gotta go to the doctor. lol

moso
07-03-2008, 12:50 AM
i understand lol but i mean it goes in:mfrown: it just wants to be played with while going in and it pisses me off plus i didnt do anything wrong i just launched her at 3500rpm and there it goes plus i beat that hatch before so i wanted to make her feel good again btw its a eg with a b16 i cant believe i took it

Gilmour
07-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Change your fluid to Pennzoil Synchromesh, then see how it is.

dichotomous
07-03-2008, 05:11 AM
i understand lol but i mean it goes in:mfrown: it just wants to be played with while going in and it pisses me off plus i didnt do anything wrong i just launched her at 3500rpm and there it goes plus i beat that hatch before so i wanted to make her feel good again btw its a eg with a b16 i cant believe i took it

wait, so is this the EP3 you are talking about or the EG? and "launching" is never good for any car, "launching" will hurt cars, and require fixing down the road. "launching" is rarely smooth and constant application of power such that it doesnt spike and send forces and loads skyrocketing through all the parts, steel is strong but it can only take so much. if you want to play hard with your car, whatever car it is, you are likely going to need to fix it at some point, some may let you get away with it longer, but EVERYTHING breaks.

Ba82Ep3
07-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Dude... change the tranny fluid. Its a night and day difference. If youre gonna beat on our car, youre gonna have to wrench on it. Changing the tranny fluid is important. Go change it... now. Hey. Change your tranny fluid as stated. By the way, i think if you change your tranny fluid you will be greatly surprised. :mwink:

Gilmour
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
^lol

03Si757
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Id say change the tranny fluid, and possibly check your clutch cylinders out as well, make sure you fluid reservoir is full, I think 1st gear takes the most force to get into am I correct? May need to bleed the system, or adjust your CMC push rod.

03Si757
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Dude... change the tranny fluid. Its a night and day difference. If youre gonna beat on our car, youre gonna have to wrench on it. Changing the tranny fluid is important. Go change it... now. Hey. Change your tranny fluid as stated. By the way, i think if you change your tranny fluid you will be greatly surprised. :mwink:

LOL, I hope you ment how you typed all of that.

moso
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
ok i guess ill change the tranny fluid then is it easy to change? and its a ep

shanewdude
07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44979&highlight=changing+transmission+fluid

Search and read... there's lots of stuff here already discussed!

moso
07-03-2008, 05:46 PM
shes slowly starting to get back into normal i drove her around today and its getting there

03Si757
07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
ok i guess ill change the tranny fluid then is it easy to change? and its a ep

Ya, its pretty simple if you dont have the stock intake box in the car, Just gotta get a funnel with a long tube or what not, and just add about 1 2/3 quarts of oil or so and just do the pinky test to see if its topped off.

moso
07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
dont i need to drain any out?

shanewdude
07-04-2008, 06:28 AM
http://importtuningtv.powertvonline.com/user_video_detail.php?mId=1095

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. Seriously, it will save a lot of time, and there's no sense in having another thread on a DIY transmission oil change.

03Si757
07-04-2008, 09:34 AM
dont i need to drain any out?

Yes, you have to drain out as much as you can. Check the DIY out, its all in there buddy.

clujalolo
07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
told you it'll get better, you just gotta drive it for a bit dont let it sit, it'll take way longer.

xachary82
07-05-2008, 01:41 AM
im gonna need synchro's soon, 2nd grinds, 3rd grinds, and 4th is the worst, it wont go in barely at all.. yes changed tranny fluid, still doesnt help.. gearspeed has some carbon coated ones that I think im going to get but, can someone give me a rough estimate on labor, cuz i really dont feel like dropping the tranny and doing this work.. I have no help and it would jsut be easier for me to take it to a shop or something, btw Honda said labor alone would be 875 ftl!!!!!!! FCUK TAHT.

moso
07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
the cheapest i know of labor is 700

Ba82Ep3
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL, I hope you ment how you typed all of that.

Yep. The LOL was my goal. :mbiggrin: You know ima retard. haha

shes slowly starting to get back into normal i drove her around today and its getting there

Sweeet. You really have to get used to how the EP tranny shifts. Once you get the feel for it... youll be able to sensibly launch and speed shift every gear without problems/grindage (i have a stg4 CM clutch/K24 and could bang it from gear to gear quickly w/o grindage). Its VERY important to concentrate on clutch pedal operation BEFORE you try and move the shifter from gear to gear. Some people subconsciously move the shifter first... i know its only a split second difference... but if you ever drove a car with a stout clutch, im sure you would see what im talking about. I guarantee the "in and out" of every gear would be notchy and jerky. It isnt as noticeable on a stock clutch... but your synchros are what take the beating.

The synchromesh will make everything move a little better in the tranny. Follow the DIY, and fill it to the previously mentioned "pinkie test". Youll be right as rain...

!@#$%
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
You might have bent your shift fork.

moso
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
no it works perfectly not and ya i know what u mean by shifting before clutching it happens when ur really eager to shift fast lol but knock on wood shes working just like before now with out any tranny oil change or anything

clujalolo
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
no it works perfectly not and ya i know what u mean by shifting before clutching it happens when ur really eager to shift fast lol but knock on wood shes working just like before now with out any tranny oil change or anything

yeh thats what happened with mine. but your syncros will never be the same, it will grind easier, even when you have the clutch ALL THE WAY IN and you shift fast, sometimes it'll grind, mine does it only time to time. very few but its there :mfrown:

moso
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
ya and the worst part is its like 700 to replace the synchros