PDA

View Full Version : Nooo, I am plagued w/ car problems!

IcyDeath
07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
My car was running great last night. I stop at a local gas station, pump just 2 gallons of 87 (enuff to last til next paycheck) and drive home fine. I wake up this morning get ready to leave for work and start the car up....

I notice the car sounds a lot more 'throaty' than usual with my i/h/e. I pay no mind and begin to reverse out of my spot, wow car sounds mean today I am thinking. I get to the end of the apartment complex and the check engine light is flashing now. I pull a slow u-turn and re-park the car.

I let it idle and I open the hood and I inspect for anything visible under the car, nothing. I wonder if my dumb ass pumped diesel in by accident, but I see no black smoke and don't smell anything... I drive down the road in my wife's car and the pump I used does say regular 87.

I won't be able to get the car to a shop until Saturday now to read the code. Stupid work and holiday! My Father says he saw on the news some gas stations had water in their gas and if that's the case I am SCREWED. He said the gas pumps extremly slowly at the pump if thats the case, and I did not notice anything off the wall like that.

MR.Pizza
07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Bad gas is quite a problem around here, some Heat or gas stabilizer might help but you need to fill the tank. Running the fuel real low could have sucked crud into your fuel system and filter too.

sir03
07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
shitty dood

i'm not sure what exact sound its making, but it sorta sounds like what mine was doing...
problem: rodents
they crawled up under my intake manifold cover, and chewed some of the wiring. so it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders...

az-epdrvr
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
water down drinks are ok , but water down gas NOW THAT SUCKS

IcyDeath
07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Bad gas is quite a problem around here, some Heat or gas stabilizer might help but you need to fill the tank. Running the fuel real low could have sucked crud into your fuel system and filter too.

This may be true, should I put higher octane gas in it from another station then or just more 87? My Father did say it might be carbon and it will just blow out.

shitty dood

i'm not sure what exact sound its making, but it sorta sounds like what mine was doing...
problem: rodents
they crawled up under my intake manifold cover, and chewed some of the wiring. so it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders...

I didn't think about this happening, but it does only rev to 5K rpm in neutral.

SI in GA
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
2004 and 2005 have a rev limiter when in neutral. So 5K rpm in neutral is normal.

Kodeen
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
You can go to a pepboys or autozone and get the CEL code read for free.

si4life
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
damn man i hope it's nothing major. best of luck.

mySti-CaL_EP3HI
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Just drain out your fuel tank and on your fuel rail and clean out your injectors.

Bificus
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
You can go to a pepboys or autozone and get the CEL code read for free.
Do this first then you'll know what you are dealing with, I think flashing CELs are misfires.

Windchaser
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Lets hope the car blows up (like that is going to happen) with no one around to get hurt so you can get a new car.

03civsi
07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Absolutely right. I bought a nice code reader from JC Witless for less then $100. Just need some working knowledge of the codes you might get.

Do this first then you'll know what you are dealing with, I think flashing CELs are misfires.

IcyDeath
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, Advance Auto Parts is right down the road. So I'm gonna take it there, they are open for the 4th of July and will read the code for me. I hate my car being messed up, it's so depressing.

IcyDeath
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Ok, took it down to Advance before they closed tonight. They hooked it up and it read misfires randomly on all 4 cycl. It ran fine getting down there and the CEL was on solid, they cleared it I bought some Meth Alcohol (HEET brand) to remove any water in the tank, which mighta been caused by the poor gas or ethanol or running the tank too low for too long... Then filled the tank, it's running great so far.

serialdriller
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
good... i'd say dont drive it crazy like redline it anything like that (obviously).... maybe add good higher octane gas to the tank too when it as often as possible... I'd say if the CEL doesnt come back on then good!!!

crossing my fingers for u!!!

Riv Civ
07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
If it does end up getting hosed from the bad gas, make the gas station buy you a new engine. It happens and they are usually willing to do it if you can prove it was their gas.

Good luck!

IcyDeath
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
The CEL was flashing and came on again today when I went to take my wife to the bookstore. Also, my tank was low on gas and the add fuel light came on. Apparently, I can not let the Civic get below 1/4 a tank (unlike my Xb I owned prior) because both times this happened when I needed gas.

Very strange... So I filled it to half a tank (all I could afford these days) and threw some more of that Heet stuff autozone recommended that seemed to work last time. I also had them check my code and it was the same thing as last time misfiring on all cyc randomly and they cleared it for me. On the way home the car did sound weird only once after idling at a light, but once in gear and moving it was fine and no CEL.

mattism78
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I know on most OBD II vehicles a solid light is usually emissions malfunction. Flashing indicates some type of misfire. Perhaps you should drain the tank completely, and start fresh. If you're having problems routinely when it gets low I would think that's indicative of something bad in the fuel tank.

mikhsoj
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
run some seafoam in your gas tank. it helps remove moisture and cleans your fuel lines/injectors too. also would dump some down into the cylinders via brake booster line.
if you google it you will find how to's all over the place.

also wanna make sure that your wires are good? check the fuel filter too while you're at it.

slo_k20
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
run some seafoam in your gas tank. it helps remove moisture and cleans your fuel lines/injectors too. also would dump some down into the cylinders via brake booster line.
if you google it you will find how to's all over the place.

also wanna make sure that your wires are good? check the fuel filter too while you're at it.

The only way to "check" the fuel filter is to break or cut it open. hope its not that, let me tell you it is a NIGHTMARE

mikhsoj
07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
The only way to "check" the fuel filter is to break or cut it open. hope its not that, let me tell you it is a NIGHTMARE

hmm.. i didnt know that. back when i had my EP i never had to replace it or check it so i dunnoe. i have an EK now and i just have to open my hood and unscrew a cap.

frm_808
07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
wat gas station did u fill up at? chevron, shell etc.
thats wat i put in. i also look for places that are brand new, or i just ask how old that place is

mrpotatohead
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah i was worried when i saw that new flash about the water in the gas. My mom got hit with it in winchester, va but i got lucky since i went to visit and i didn't get that gas. don't know how, but i'm very thankful. she took her benz to the dealer and they told her about the water. well she contacted the gas station and they paid for everything. good luck