PDA

View Full Version : What the hell !!?

gummiegorilla
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
So yesterday i was rotating my tires and as i got to the last lug on the last tire to pull it off the freakin stud stripped ! thats right as i was pulling it off and it stripped ! :mad: i thought that it was gonna be an easy fix and all ....but no , i need a press or something to pull of the hub. so i call pep boys and they tell me that they can do it for 55 bucks, not to bad. but when i get it there they start telling me that they have to remove the steering knuckle and all this other BS and the new price to replace one wheel stud is now 450$ !!!:mcry: thats freakin crazy. so i tell them to put it all back together so i can take it home, so they slap it all back together and stuff only to find out that they put a lug nut on the stripped stud and so it fell off while i was driving home ! so now im only rollin on two lugs for now. damn pep boys.

jtyler05si
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Bad Luck FTL!!

I feel for you dude. did you have to pay for them looking at your car and disassembling/assembling it?

si4life
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
be careful man. that wheel might fall off! good luck getting it fixed.

So yesterday i was rotating my tires and as i got to the last lug on the last tire to pull it off the freakin stud stripped ! thats right as i was pulling it off and it stripped ! :mad: i thought that it was gonna be an easy fix and all ....but no , i need a press or something to pull of the hub. so i call pep boys and they tell me that they can do it for 55 bucks, not to bad. but when i get it there they start telling me that they have to remove the steering knuckle and all this other BS and the new price to replace one wheel stud is now 450$ !!!:mcry: thats freakin crazy. so i tell them to put it all back together so i can take it home, so they slap it all back together and stuff only to find out that they put a lug nut on the stripped stud and so it fell off while i was driving home ! so now im only rollin on two lugs for now. damn pep boys.

Norcal Ep3
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I work at a tire shop, and for some reason it is ALWAYS the last tire and lugnut that gives you trouble!!!....sux....

Gargola
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM

That sucks, but you really need to get another lug nut on there quick. You don't want to warp your rotors or worse from excessive vibrations from the rim.

Find a machine shop you can take it, but do all the pre-work ( IE take it off the car.)

Still sucks

gummiegorilla
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Bad Luck FTL!!

I feel for you dude. did you have to pay for them looking at your car and disassembling/assembling it?

No they didnt charge me , i wouldnt of paid them anyway. All they did was loose one of my lug nuts ggrrr.

Alvin81
07-04-2008, 12:48 PM
wtf $450?!? Highway robbery man, I got my whole front hub and a stud on replace on my car for $300 parts and labour.

RHCP0801
07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
mistake #1, never go to pep boys

chuck83
07-05-2008, 07:09 AM

agreed

03civsi
07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Call me crazy but why not pull the rotor off and pound the "bad" stud through then reverse order on a replacement one using a nut and washers to pull it back through?

willy_akino
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
my friends dad did it for me...didnt cost a thing...but it seems easy...depend on how hard the hub comes off.

Endever
07-05-2008, 12:38 PM

True

One store at a time, they've been droppin off the map back in NC

mustclime
07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
this is why I put wheel bearing grease on my lugs.......:mangel:

oldschoolimport
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
on most hondas, you can cut the stud close to the hub, and knock the old stud out. getting the new stud in can be a pain. if it won't clear the knuckle, you may need to knock one side of the stud flange off to make it clear, and it should go in. once its close to in, spin a nut on it, and seat the stud by tightening the nut. shouldn't cost more than $10, and about an hour or so.

gummiegorilla
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
nice , finally got a shop here in town to fix it up for 80 bucks :mbiggrin: im so damn tired of crooked ass places like pep boys tryin to huslte people and shit.

rsy124
07-27-2008, 04:14 AM
It's not that difficult..takes about 30 minutes max per stud.
You just remove everything (it will be clear what needs to be removed) and once you take the plate off with the studs sticking out, take a mallet or large hammer, place a piece of strong thick (flat helps) metal in between, and knock it until it pops out. Insert the new stud (Making sure to hammer from the back side out) and voila.
New studs cost around 2-3 dollars a piece

fatathaland
07-27-2008, 10:21 AM
So in an effort to prevent this from happening to me, why did it strip?

Was their weight/no weight on the tire? Were you using an impact wrench?

Basically, why does this happen?

Strife
07-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Basically, why does this happen?

God having a personal vendetta against you.

mrpotatohead
07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah man those guys at pepboys are a bunch of corn holes. i wouldn't let those guys check my tire pressure.