PDA

View Full Version : RSX-S Springs and Ride Height on an EP3

thechromecoyote
07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I know the 02-04 RSX-S springs will fit our cars, and they provide a stiffer front spring rate in stock form, but how do they affect ride height?

And for that matter, does anyone know how aftermarket RSX-S Springs will affect ride height?

For instance, the Tien S-Techs are 1.7" / 1.4" for RSX-S, but if I put those on my EP3, how much of that 1.7" will I actually see?

Thanks! :tea:

BlackEP9
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
probably 2"+ after they start saggin!

thechromecoyote
07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
haha yeah, while the initial response is "they will be lower" bc the RSX sits lower, I dont think its actually the case and Im interested in any experiences people have had with this setup.

v1c10us
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
its a tough one.
You'll have to factor the weight of the cars into any hypothesese you might make.
if the cars weigh more than ours we'll be sitting higher.

For instance.
progress uses the same springs for the rsx as they do for the ep.
they both have the same spring rates. 280f/500r
however on our cars it lowers us 1.8/1.5
and on their cars it lowers them 1.5/1.4
this makes me think their cars weigh less than ours, so they compress the spring less.
OR, that could simply be because their springs are stiffer than ours, so there is less difference to be had.. I have no clue now im confused.

thechromecoyote
07-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Acura RSX-S Curb Weight: 2790 pounds
Honda Civic Si Curb Weight: 2744 pounds

doesnt seem like much of a weight difference to provide the spring height difference you mentioned... hrm... now Im really confused!

v1c10us
07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
well everythings pretty much the same on the rsx, so if you use the rsx-s springs, which are lower than base rsx springs, it will probably lower the ep3 as well.
I'd get CTR springs though if I were in the market for OEM spring.

llaprad1
07-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Acura RSX-S Curb Weight: 2790 pounds
Honda Civic Si Curb Weight: 2744 pounds

doesnt seem like much of a weight difference to provide the spring height difference you mentioned... hrm... now Im really confused!

Well as long as we're just guessing, Ill throw in examples I have experience with... an early 90s NX and a Sentra SE-R weigh almost exactly the same. They are the same chassis code, and share all the same suspension parts.

But the springs have different free lengths due to the different places where that weight lies. The NX has taller front springs because it has more weight in the front than the back.

Just saying, curb weight is too general of a measurement to go by.

thechromecoyote
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
well everythings pretty much the same on the rsx, so if you use the rsx-s springs, which are lower than base rsx springs, it will probably lower the ep3 as well.
I'd get CTR springs though if I were in the market for OEM spring.

been there, done that :mconfused: the CTR springs were a really nice for ride quality and had a very subtle drop. Looking for something a bit more aggressive at this point.

Im asking for how OEM springs drop the EP3 bc it will allow me to figgure out how aftermarket ones will.

Are the struts in the DC5 chassis mounted higher? Maybe the height differences are due to that?

v1c10us
07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
hmm, its possible.
the oem springs are the same size, ep3 and rsx, they have no difference in height uncompressed I know that.
progress uses the same springs for the rsx and the ep3, same stiffess same height same everything.
but there is a less dramatic drop when they are on the rsx, so this would insinuate that because the rsx's springs were stiffer to begin with considering the height the drop difference is less, thats hard to explain but it maks sense in my head.
im gonna post up springs tha companys make for both the rsx and the ep3 and compare spring rates.

v1c10us
07-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Progress for the RSX
Front Rear

1.5” 1.4”

280 lbs. 500 lbs.

Progress for the EP#

Front Rear

1.8” 1.5”

280 lbs. 500 lbs.

Tein for the RSX
Front Rear

1.7” 1.4”

310 lbs. 490 lbs.

Tein for the EP3
Front Rear

1.4” 1.3”

280 lbs. 510 lbs.

well, I got bored of the comparison, tein does not use the same springs for both as we can tell from the spring rates.

but if progress springs lower rsx's less on the same rates
and tein springs lower rsx's more on stiffer/softer rates(this is reminding me of the ACT)
then we can determine the rear of the rsx weighs more than ours and the front of our cars weighs more than theirs..
And we can also determine that using rsx springs should not be a problem, and I would actually go ahead and buy the tein S techs for the rsx and put them on and see what the dilly o is.
If they lower you the EP3 heigh or the rsx height, either one would be straight right? get them, im curious now.

Bificus
07-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder where OEM swaybars come into effect when spring manufacturers set spring rates?
EP3 Front 24mm
EP3 rear 15-17mm
RSX Front 23(I think)
RSX Rear 17-19mm