PDA

View Full Version : Is my batt dead at 25.4k miles? Friend did a clutch trick.

HondaMat2Si
07-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Stayed up all night with my friends to go fishing today at Glen Helen (Sucked) and 6am int he morning i tried to start my car but it wasn't starting. My alarm's volume was really low.

I told a friend of mine with a manual tC and he did a trick with the clutch to start the car, I pushed my car to give it a roll and he did something and the car started.

After that he parked, shut off the engine, but when he tried to restart the engine it was just making clicking noises. I look at the battery meter thingy and it isn't green inside, its all black.

At this point even my windows were rolling up and down slow and my power door locks weren't working, so all signs point to a dead battery... but at barely 25.4k miles? I did have a sound system but all I had was a 300watt sub for awhile, and I now have 2 Pioneer speakers up front, no way could that drain the batt yet our battery is pretty damn small.

I just wanna make sure, is my batt dead or is it some other problem? My friend did the same clutch trick so I could drive home.

silver hatch
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought I read in the manual that you can't do that with newer cars like ours. I guess you can then. How do you do it anyway? What year is your ep? Batteries usually last about 5yrs. It shouldn't matter how many miles you have on your car.

RHCP0801
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
yes its dead, get a new one

makavelibranded
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
how long did the car sit for?
when were those speakers intalled?
how long after your friend started it did you let it sit?
any other mods at all?

Theres no reason a battery should drain overnight unless theres a short, or something is staying on, cell phone charger, inside lights staying on,.. you wont really notice anything wrong on a good battery untill it really takes a toll on it from being drained and charged over and over, when i had a short each battery i got lasted 2-5 months (warrenty:mangel:)

After you friend started it you should have let in run a while to get a good charge on the battery, and make sure you drive it to charge the battery before you test for voltage. If you drive around (5min), park it, turn it off, then start it a couple minutes later and its dead its the battery or your charging system.

Stayed up all night with my friends to go fishing today at Glen Helen (Sucked) and 6am int he morning i tried to start my car but it wasn't starting. My alarm's volume was really low.

I told a friend of mine with a manual tC and he did a trick with the clutch to start the car, I pushed my car to give it a roll and he did something and the car started.

After that he parked, shut off the engine, but when he tried to restart the engine it was just making clicking noises. I look at the battery meter thingy and it isn't green inside, its all black.

At this point even my windows were rolling up and down slow and my power door locks weren't working, so all signs point to a dead battery... but at barely 25.4k miles? I did have a sound system but all I had was a 300watt sub for awhile, and I now have 2 Pioneer speakers up front, no way could that drain the batt yet our battery is pretty damn small.

I just wanna make sure, is my batt dead or is it some other problem? My friend did the same clutch trick so I could drive home.

HondaMat2Si
07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't know how he did it, I guess he didn't know how to explain it so he didn't really tell me. He just said something about knowing when to step on the clutch and give it gas at the right time.

I drove it home and thats a good 6-8 minute drive, I did tyr starting it again after shutting it off and I just heard clicking noises again.

Edit: O.K. another friend of mine explained it to me, he said the car needs to be pushed to about 3mph with the clutch pressed, then once it hits 3mph you release it and keep pushing the car and it'll start... seems simple, I don't get how it works I'm not complaining.

Princess
07-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know how he did it, I guess he didn't know how to explain it so he didn't really tell me. He just said something about knowing when to step on the clutch and give it gas at the right time.

I drove it home and thats a good 6-8 minute drive, I did tyr starting it again after shutting it off and I just heard clicking noises again.

Edit: O.K. another friend of mine explained it to me, he said the car needs to be pushed to about 3mph with the clutch pressed, then once it hits 3mph you release it and keep pushing the car and it'll start... seems simple, I don't get how it works I'm not complaining.

I think the term people use is "popping the clutch". It's a common way to start a car with a battery that has low juice. I don't think that popping the clutch would hurt your car or the battery, so relax. Obviously, 6-8 minutes was not long enough. You should have left the car running for longer. Maybe 30 minutes or more. Charge your battery and see if it holds a charge. And it's gonna need to charge probably at least overnight.

sLiCk
07-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Ya hook it up to a charger and see if it holds charge. It probably just drained from your stereo.

Princess
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
You can also use jumper cables attached to a car with the engine running and attach it to your battery, then jump start your car. Let your engine run for 15 minutes + or so while the cables are still attached and both cars running.

civiKSiborg
07-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Probably 2 things to look for. One thing is to check that your Battery posts are extremely tight. Just a little bit of loose play in the posts can completely slow down or stop the charging of your battery while the car is on. Second thing. I'm assuming that you have an amplifier for that woofer. Check to see if your amp turns off when the car is off, If any indicator lights are lighted on the amp while your car is off... Then you may have a messed up turn on lead.

HondaMat2Si
07-05-2008, 12:36 AM
My amp's fuses are blown so I can't do that right now. I'm going to get a new batt tomorrow and see if everything works out ok.

v1c10us
07-05-2008, 01:40 AM
I thought I read in the manual that you can't do that with newer cars like ours. I guess you can then. How do you do it anyway? What year is your ep? Batteries usually last about 5yrs. It shouldn't matter how many miles you have on your car.

The car has to be in the ON position and in gear, you just push it with the clutch in and when you let out the clutch the car starts.
I had a horrible day once that was quickly made more fun, It was raining out and my battery was dead and i couldnt jump it so I had my 2 friends push it, well i let the clutch out too soon and the car just stopped and their faces slammed into the rear hatch glass and then their feet slipped out from under them and they fell down.

fEPst3r
07-05-2008, 02:15 AM
your battery might still have warranty, check that out, i believe some honda factory batteries have 100 month warranties.

What your friend did is called a kick start, pretty much you get the car rolling at a decent speed, have the key on and put it in 1st gear with the clutch engaged. you just simple pop the clutch and it will start. you usually do this when the starter is fucked.

Princess
07-05-2008, 02:19 AM
The car has to be in the ON position and in gear, you just push it with the clutch in and when you let out the clutch the car starts.
..... their faces slammed into the rear hatch glass and then their feet slipped out from under them and they fell down.

Good info and LOL

Should you be in first gear or second gear? Does it depend on how fast they are pushing you...or maybe if you are going downhill you'll be going faster so you don't want to slam it into first gear. Seems to make sense.

talonXracer
07-05-2008, 06:41 AM
It is more commonly referred to as bump starting, not kick starting(that is for old school motorcycles).

The most common use of this procedure is to park on a hill, slope etc so that you dont have to use the starter to start the car, just insert key, slip into neutral, coast to speed, snick it into gear and release the clutch after you have gotten away from where you parked the car. You use this to exit the neighborhood so as not to alert your "pieces" old man......

XphatfreezaX
07-05-2008, 04:44 PM
It is more commonly referred to as bump starting, not kick starting(that is for old school motorcycles).

The most common use of this procedure is to park on a hill, slope etc so that you dont have to use the starter to start the car, just insert key, slip into neutral, coast to speed, snick it into gear and release the clutch after you have gotten away from where you parked the car. You use this to exit the neighborhood so as not to alert your "pieces" old man......
sneaky sneaky! tsk tsk tsk hahaha

Guardian
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
i thought this was common knowledge

most dirt bikes are still kick start

HondaMat2Si
07-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Well I installed an Energizer battery and all is back to normal. Thanks guys.

Fish
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM

Not really old school.. Lots of motorcycles still use kick start (MX especially).

And my battery went dead at 28k miles I believe, but that's in AZ where it got HOT 6 months of the year so it's understandable, apparently that's a good amount to get out of a battery here.

klik
07-06-2008, 10:06 AM
its easy to do, put it in 1 gear hold the clutch and have people push it and just release in once your rolling.

dann_04
07-06-2008, 10:10 AM
you can push start newer cars but in can seriously damage your cat and emissions sensors like o2 sensor. I would only do it in an emergency. otherwise just jump it.

chunky
07-06-2008, 03:05 PM
you can push start newer cars but in can seriously damage your cat and emissions sensors like o2 sensor. I would only do it in an emergency. otherwise just jump it.

not true at all.

When you clutch start a car, all you are doing is using the momentum of the car to get the flywheel/crankshaft turning instead of having the electric starter motor spin the flywheel/crank so that the engine can start.

You get a little driveline shock, but you could do 100 clutch starts and not put as much stress on the driveline as a single launch at the dragstrip.

v1c10us
07-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Good info and LOL

Should you be in first gear or second gear? Does it depend on how fast they are pushing you...or maybe if you are going downhill you'll be going faster so you don't want to slam it into first gear. Seems to make sense.

I usually do it in 1st gear
I find you only have to be going about as fast as they can push you
usually around 8mph, it just happens to be at idle engine speed.
of course if you were coasting down a hill at 35 I'd do it in 3rd or 4th

v1c10us
07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
on another note, I usually call it roll starting or push starting

2004ep3hatch
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey, just install a full size battery like i did. i have has a few of these batteries go.

Fish
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
lol

Mind explaining your logic as to how push starting a car has any relation to an o2 sensor or cat?

dann_04
07-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Every car i've ever had has stated right in the manual that push starting will damage your emissions equipment and cat and to jump it if at all possible. How, i don't know i'm just going by what the manuals say.

edit:
I searched around and found that most other manufacturers put it right in their manual, can't find it in any honda ones...but basically push starting puts an amount of unburned fuel in the cat that can either detonated causing damage, or overheat the catalysit causing accelerated wear.

Here is what i found on one website:
"Never push-start or tow-start the vehicle - this will again put unburnt fuel into the catalyst and damage it. A reaction called thermal aging takes place which, put simply, overheats the catalyst."

So i'm not crazy in my post as many of you seem to think im talking out of my ass lol, but maybe it's different for honda? I still won't do it because a cat is a cat and i know our cars seem to have enough trouble in that department anyway.

s10blazed
07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
You can bump start it in reverse too. I found this out one day when I left my lights on facing up hill. No way was I going to be able to push it uphill myself. Its the same process just put it in reverse instead of 1st and let it roll backwards.

chunky
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Every car i've ever had has stated right in the manual that push starting will damage your emissions equipment and cat and to jump it if at all possible. How, i don't know i'm just going by what the manuals say.

edit:
I searched around and found that most other manufacturers put it right in their manual, can't find it in any honda ones...but basically push starting puts an amount of unburned fuel in the cat that can either detonated causing damage, or overheat the catalysit causing accelerated wear.

"Never push-start or tow-start the vehicle - this will again put unburnt fuel into the catalyst and damage it. A reaction called thermal aging takes place which, put simply, overheats the catalyst."

So i'm not crazy in my post as many of you seem to think im talking out of my ass lol, but maybe it's different for honda? I still won't do it because a cat is a cat and i know our cars seem to have enough trouble in that department anyway.

When you start your car normally, you put unburnt fuel into the cat. Trust me when I say that using the momentum of a moving car or using an electric starter motor - there is no difference as far as the engine is concerned.

Fish
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM

edit:

That honestly makes no sense to me, but whatever. If the manual says it then sobeit.

dann_04
07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not saying it's my own theory or it even makes complete sense to me...but thats what some manufacturers say. Also i know normal starting puts in some gas, but i would assume they would have designed it for normal starting. But push starting works yes by turning over the engine, but not at the designed speed that the starter was made to. So maybe the fact that you are starting the car at a higher rpm puts more fuel in? Like how the manual says not to start the car with your foot down on the gas, i'm guessing for the same reason?(or it could be that it needs a few seconds to heat up the catalyst before you rev it up) Who knows... i would just ask your dealer, but then again i wouldn't trust anything they told me with the experiences i've had.

miaep3
07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
i thought this was common knowledge

i thought so too.