PDA

View Full Version : rear-hub assembly removal, replacement

epblksi
07-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm at the last stage of replacing my rear hub assembly. I removed:

rear breaks
rotor ( was a pain in the arse! DAMN screws)
cap
hub-assembly nut

but the damn hub assembly won't remove, its like I have to remove something else, but I don;t see what. I am not sure if I need another tool or what.

I would appreciate any help.

LiLxKeNnY
07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
i think thats all removed .. its prolli jus rusted in there?

RHCP0801
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
just keep pulling on it and spray some pb blaster or rust buster in there

epblksi
07-06-2008, 02:48 PM
it gives a little back an forth at the bearings portion but thats it. Are you guys sure there is nothing left to remove?

anybody know what this is all about? The screw next to number 38. I can't find it. Another fellow EPHATCH member gave me a link to where to buy the hub assembly an thats where I bought it from.

Anyway. I can't find this screw either.

RHCP0801
07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
thats a wheel stud, you just have to pull it off...there is nothing else holding it on, you might have to get it pressed off if you cant but that requires takin the whole knuckle off. Just keep wiggling it and pulling and spraying rust buster in there

epblksi
07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
thats a wheel stud, you just have to pull it off...there is nothing else holding it on, you might have to get it pressed off if you cant but that requires takin the whole knuckle off. Just keep wiggling it and pulling and spraying rust buster in there

I was able to pull the #$#!@ off. But only half of it came off. I can't pull the other half off... This sucks.

v1c10us
07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
a rubber mallet!
see if you can get something in behind the side you popped off that would keep it from going back on, and then hammer the side that you already popped off and its leverage might get the other side off.

RHCP0801
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
and once you do get it off put some high temp grease on there

dobbs02si
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Might be the rear seal..thats the way wet hubs are on trailer axles..PITA

epblksi
07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I was able to pull the #$#!@ off. But only half of it came off. I can't pull the other half off... This sucks.

Alright, I finally realized that I did not have the proper tools to do the job, so I put it back together and rode it to a local mechanic; he used a torch to put some heat on it. He said the bearing was shot thats why it would not come off. He says they normally just slide off.

Anyway, it only cost 60$ but I learned more about my car, which makes it all worth it.

next up is putting a DC header I just purchased... :mwink:

By the way I'm 150% percent happier now that it doesnt sound like a big wheel anymore! LOL

Thanks for all your help guys and ladies. Our group is awesome!