PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out my engine for a swap.

milob86
07-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Wats up guys, im planning a swap. But as i keep reading through the forums, i see that there is alot of debate between what engine works better then the next. So the more the debate, the more confused im getting. so to end the confusion, heres my question. Im doing a swap, stage 2 cams, valves, valve springs, pistons, retainers, turbo, etc. so ive heard that the k24a1 with a2 head is the way to go, but ive also heard that its ok to build on the a2.

SO HELP ME PPL, WHAT SHOULD I DO?????:mconfused:

PS, where can i get the engine, with good price, and really reliable?
PSS, whats a website other than skunk2.com, to get internals?

arthur
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
for what iver read its better the k24a1. it has more potential, and with turbo the k24 is better because the low compression.

oneglory
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
k24a1 with an k20A2 head. FRanKenStein!

honda4eva89
07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
well the k20a2 would be better in terms of 1/4 times because of less torque but its more expensive.. if you just want a daily drive ~400 whp and trq then settle with a k24a1.. 2 good examples of these engines is weltalls ep and guardian's.. guardian has a k24 and weltall has a built a2.. at the end it all depends how much money you are willing to spend

honda4eva89
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
forgot one thing... if you're getting the k24 a good place to get it from is papituyo..shoot him a PM, he has the best a1's you can get

davisj3537
07-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Also don't get skunk 2 parts if you want it to last....check clubrsx.com for parts.

bchaney
07-07-2008, 09:25 AM
k24 is the way to go if you're swapping internals or not.

The k24a1 has low compression pistons that will get max benefit from boost. If you're swapping internals get a k24a4 block (cheaper). Then go with a k20a2 or k20z3 head on top.

shadowmd
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Also don't get skunk 2 parts if you want it to last....check clubrsx.com for parts.

and if u want some pics of what a skunk2 cam/valve train setup does to a $4,200.00 (A2) motor, shoot me a pm lol

yes thats what they were going for when i got mine....that was with tranny and everything tho....

milob86
07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
well i dont kno about the durability of the skunk2 cams, and like i sed before, i dont kno any other sites that i can view cams. clubrsx.com has other ones from a company ive never heard of. and as for the engine, i saw welltell's build of the a2, nd it looks ok. and guardians frankenstien is super sick. so 23a2 w/a2 head. can anyone agree or disagree on that combo? plz elaborate.

Gilmour
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
K20 vs. K24

:fencing:

make your own mind up.:peace:

classiccelica
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Will the k24 with the a2 head be able to rev high though?

oldschoolimport
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
k24 is the way to go if you're swapping internals or not.

The k24a1 has low compression pistons that will get max benefit from boost. If you're swapping internals get a k24a4 block (cheaper). Then go with a k20a2 or k20z3 head on top.

this man speaks the truth. the k24a4 pistons won't work with any head other than the a4 head. the k24a4 is only viable when you plan on swapping pistons and getting a full vtec head. or if you want a cheap swap to just go straight in and stay with a stock long block.

davisj3537
07-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Will the k24 with the a2 head be able to rev high though?

You don't need to rev high! Probably the most misunderstood part of K24s in general. The k24s pistons are moving faster at 7k rpms than an s2000's pistons move at 9krpms....so they are fucking moving fast as shit already. The k20 piston speed does not match up to the k24 either. Not only that but on a k20 even though you can take the tachometer up higher your powerband is smaller. The k24 will pull from really low rpms when the k20 wont pull near as hard from anything under 5000rpms. I don't know any other way to explain this....It needs to be in bold or some shit right under the ephatch banner in the swap section.:lalala:

classiccelica
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I know this, I just love rpm. Plus I love high top speeds, not on the road though that is just getting even more stupid the more it happens. I like knowing that my car has the ability to top out high.

XphatfreezaX
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
bang for your buck you gotta get the k24a1 with the a2 head. dont' need to rev high cuz the extra tq will make you feel like you're going pretty fast :)

k20a2 if you want to just have a drop in engine that's be fun =)

milob86
07-09-2008, 05:16 AM
alright, lets add a bit more money to the senario. how about a k20a build with turbo? will it work, or is the k24a1 w/a2 or a head, build with turbo, still better?

As for the transmission, 5 speed or 6 speed for which setup?

lbk02si
07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
alright, lets add a bit more money to the senario. how about a k20a build with turbo? will it work, or is the k24a1 w/a2 or a head, build with turbo, still better?

As for the transmission, 5 speed or 6 speed for which setup?

K20a turbo motor, is a no go for a turbo motor. Its a high compression motor so if you wanna blow that motor up easy then turbo it. With as expensive as it is, its a waste of money IMO to get that motor if you wanna go turbo.

milob86
07-09-2008, 05:59 AM
how about a k20a2 build with turbo, 6 speed or 5 speed?

davisj3537
07-09-2008, 05:59 AM
It seems only the people that don't know very much about k series always wanna get the k20a...it is overrated. There are far better engines out there especially for the money spent.

donkeygong64
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Where have you guys gotten your swaps?? And whats the average price range for the K24's or the K20a2?

oldschoolimport
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
if you want an a4, one of my locals is selling some.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44658

milob86
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
idk, im starting to just want to get a swap and build it period. thats why i asked about the k20a. it doesnt seem like a bad idea. i understand that yea, the k20a does seem abit over rated and that for the price you could do alot more and get more power. but if u want a turbo engine, you gotta do the frankenstien and i dont really dont have the time to go searching for the bits nd peices. a few more questions tho. K20a build good or bad? supercharging it with build good or bad? which engine would be a better build?(keep in mind its going to be an everyday and i dont kno whats the amount of hp before it because a not everyday car).

davisj3537
07-10-2008, 06:11 AM
If you are building it then why get the k20a? It would be stripped down to the bare block and head and then all the differences between the a2 and a would be replaced with aftermarket parts...so it would be exactly the same as building a k20a2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but after you replace pistons and cams then it is the same damn engine right?

bchaney
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Same engine?

If it's from Japan it must be better.

shadowmd
07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
all i can say....i LOVE my a2 and i love revving it out. thats why i bought it. i wanted to hear it scream :mcool: and scream it does :mangel: its a lot of fun. its all in what is fun to u.

shadowmd
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
If you are building it then why get the k20a? It would be stripped down to the bare block and head and then all the differences between the a2 and a would be replaced with aftermarket parts...so it would be exactly the same as building a k20a2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but after you replace pistons and cams then it is the same damn engine right?

u are correct...and hell, if ur gonna build it with forged internals etc. maybe look at an a3. they are CHEAP! u won't need oil squirters and all u would really need is a crank and a new oil pump. then grab an a2 head.

milob86
07-11-2008, 05:12 AM
yea it seemed logical. nd i sed the a cuz of the high rev. wouldnt it be logical if ur just going to build to have an engine with high rpms? i mean the z1 is like that too. but like i stated before, my first idea was the build AND turbo. but to turbo, the recommended engine is the k24a1 w/a2 head right? but youve gotta go searching for those parts nd my car is a daily driver nd ive gotta drive back from work everyday. but leaving my car at a garages for 3 or 4 days wont be a problem. its once its more than that is when its a problem. my first idea was to get the a2 build it, but on the rev hard stage 2 turbo, and keep the 5 speed. im not sure of that combination would work but thats why i came to the forums. nd im still willing to go with the a2 even if u have to put the 6 speed. Since just the build sounded good, i thought to just get the a engine, nd build it since it was probably the better thing to do, again thats why i came here. Now i know that its not a good idea to get the a engine, thanks to davis j, and since it was just a build i thought about the z1, the newer rsx-s engine. since it was just a build get something with high rpms. Sound good? still want the opinions on the a2 idea i had before.

ps. shadow, thanks for the info on the cams, wat about the blueprints ? are they any good?

davisj3537
07-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but a turbo and daily driver don't mix at all unless you are a skilled mechanic. I worked on my car every weekend relentlessly to drive it during the week. There are some people who will disagree with me here but it sounds like you are not soo much of a mechanic so I DO NOT advise turboing your car as long as it is your daily.

milob86
07-11-2008, 08:54 PM
alright davis. what would u recommend? a2 build? or z1 build? since its going to be a daily driver, how about supercharging it? still sound bad?

PAPITUYO326
07-11-2008, 09:03 PM
good or bad good or bad good or bad:mrolleyes:

Do yourself a favor and read some prior experiences from established users. This forum lost most of information when the server died, but k20a.org, clubrsx, i-vtec.net, and even k-series.com still have some good resources.

A k20a is not worth the money. Building an a2 is not a bad idea, but if you don't even know what you wan't, then how the hell are you going to spec out a build. Piecing together parts that sound like they should go together, like "stage 2 cams, valvetrain, lsd, pistons, rods, fuel pump" will do you no good unless you research how they will act in UNITY.

If your budget is as large as your questions suggest, then search up some old builds on clubrsx. Just type in "simple build" in the search box. You'll be surprised how much information is available.

PAPITUYO326
07-11-2008, 09:05 PM
daily driver and build shouldn't not go together unless you either a:

a)put the motor together yourself, including research and labor
b)know EXACTLY how every component works in unity, but paid someone to build it.

v1c10us
07-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Supercharging is alright for a DD in my opinion, people have had bad experiences, but i've had plenty of bad experiences with stock motors so thats not really saying alot.

The k24 cant be revved as high because of the stroke of the motor, even if you put the a2 head on it I wouldn't take it over 7000, maybe 7200 tops, that may be cautious or it may be reckless, I don't know, thats just what I would do.
K24 need mo gas.

Some people have gotten very very high gas mileage with built a2's
Blue print is a good company In my opinion.
I would take the k24 and put 11.5:1 compression pistons in it and maybe some head work, valves springs retainers, cause I think that would be fun as hell, having a high compression k24.
Theres too many options to list and now i feel drunk thinking about all these builds I wish i could do.
If you are in the market for k20a2 prices and boost etc etc.
You could just go ahead and buy a k24a2
You've got 3 lobe vtec, 2.4 liters, higher compression.

davisj3537
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
alright davis. what would u recommend? a2 build? or z1 build? since its going to be a daily driver, how about supercharging it? still sound bad?

Personally if I could do it all over again. I would build exactly what my buddy crhatch02 and I are putting in his car. We are just waiting on the cams and block honing to put her in. K24a1 shortblock/tsx pistons/rods and a z3 pump/A2 head with valvetrain/brian crower stg2 cams/6spd tranny/streetlite flywheel/competition stg3 clutch/RBC intake manifold port matched to a bored throttle body/Injen CAI/hks high power/SSR RH/intake manifold gasket. Should make an easy and reliable 250whp or so.

AUTiger
07-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Personally if I could do it all over again. I would build exactly what my buddy crhatch02 and I are putting in his car. We are just waiting on the cams and block honing to put her in. K24a1 shortblock/tsx pistons/rods and a z3 pump/A2 head with valvetrain/brian crower stg2 cams/6spd tranny/streetlite flywheel/competition stg3 clutch/RBC intake manifold port matched to a bored throttle body/Injen CAI/hks high power/SSR RH/intake manifold gasket. Should make an easy and reliable 250whp or so.

out of curiousity. I am sure that setup will sound bad ass, any chance that the hks high power will be slightly restrictive? It just seems to me that with the RBC, port matching, bored TB, cams and then an SSR RH the piping will not be sufficient. But you are far more knowledgeable than myself so I could be way wrong.

davisj3537
07-14-2008, 09:03 AM
out of curiousity. I am sure that setup will sound bad ass, any chance that the hks high power will be slightly restrictive? It just seems to me that with the RBC, port matching, bored TB, cams and then an SSR RH the piping will not be sufficient. But you are far more knowledgeable than myself so I could be way wrong.

It would net more tq being that small. It is kinda on the line of being restrictive. The 65mm hks would work better if you are wanting more hp and don't care as much about tq...but I love tq:nod:

arthur
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
whats the advantaje of the a2 head in the k24a1, if you cant rev it high?? i read that the a1 head flows as good as the a2 sint it??

shadowmd
07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
a2 and z1 are the same. the difference is the cams. now they do have different trannies tho

davisj3537
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
whats the advantaje of the a2 head in the k24a1, if you cant rev it high?? i read that the a1 head flows as good as the a2 sint it??

It has vtec on both cams instead of only one. Nets you atleast another 25whp.

arthur
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
It has vtec on both cams instead of only one. Nets you atleast another 25whp.
I know it has vtec in both cams, but i thought that the vtec helped only because of the flow in the head. that is why i dont understan why an a2 head is better, if the a1 flows as good as the a2. sorry for the noob question!!

oldschoolimport
07-15-2008, 05:14 AM
I know it has vtec in both cams, but i thought that the vtec helped only because of the flow in the head. that is why i dont understan why an a2 head is better, if the a1 flows as good as the a2. sorry for the noob question!!

when vtec crosses over, the cam profile changes. basically, vtec allows you to have a smooth running cam at low RPM, and when the engine speed can support it, it starts using a more aggressive cam profile that has more valve lift, and different duration times.

davisj3537
07-15-2008, 06:16 AM
when vtec crosses over, the cam profile changes. basically, vtec allows you to have a smooth running cam at low RPM, and when the engine speed can support it, it starts using a more aggressive cam profile that has more valve lift, and different duration times.

Shazaam!:roll:

oldschoolimport
07-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Shazaam!:roll:

its has magical powers! :mbiggrin:

bchaney
07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
So if you're going with aftermarket cams should you stick to a k24a1 over a k20a2/z3 head?

davisj3537
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
So if you're going with aftermarket cams should you stick to a k24a1 over a k20a2/z3 head?

Nope. Depens on your budget and setup. Some people prefer an a1 head for boosted setups and most people prefer the a2 head regardless. If you put aftermarket cams in the a2 and the a1 head...the a2 head will still make considerably more power.