PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Door inserts

SiN05
07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Anyone else stumble upon these and does anyone have them installed? I'm tempted but I don't want it to look like crap. I think so people have tried removing the door fabric and it was a PITA.

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=499300

Princess
07-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Cough, cough, rice. Ahem.

Gut the insides of your doors and leave your power window controls hanging by the wires instead. Now that's gangsta.

blksi02
07-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Gut the insides of your doors and leave your power window controls hanging by the wires instead. Now that's gangsta.

I gotta see them in person b 4 i can say rice. i would rather do this and keep my door lock then give it to the passenger!! but the real thing is always gonna be better

riceboy075
07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
take off your original sill and just pop in some new hole and a play with it a little it probably would be your best bet dude:drum:

civictype_r04
07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
They look good and that is a pretty sick price I think I pick some up the end of this week.

oldschoolimport
07-06-2008, 04:09 PM

so is riding with one seat in a street vehicle, but folks do it.

v1c10us
07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I've got my own custom dillio in my car, its not difficult at all if you have patience and some skill for finish work.
If you try and half ass it though its gonna suck
I heard that those inserts have a foam backing, making them extra difficult.

Princess
07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
In all seriousness, if you want red door inserts then do it. Lots of people have changed those inserts to different colors. Must be a DIY somewhere.

EricP3
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
So wait, you can actually take out the stock insert and replace it with the red ones? I thought I read before that people just glued the fabric over the stock one.

mario543k20
07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
dont do it.... please dont. i did a dyi with red inserts. it definetly is a pita!! the inserts in our doors dont even come off... my friend and i had to take a very thin spatula and shove the fabric in through the crease... it looked good for about a year, but the spray on glue is fading and now the fabric sags and i need to re-do it again. i would never attempt it again if i had the idea of it.

mario543k20
07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
So wait, you can actually take out the stock insert and replace it with the red ones? I thought I read before that people just glued the fabric over the stock one.

You are correct! its not even worth it. dont do it.

AliG-EP3
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I still never got the point of that mod, but bud, if it's what you want, then go for it. At least it matches everything up

rburdios
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
mmmmmmm here ya guys go. judge if u must

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ryanburdios/IMG_0322.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ryanburdios/IMG_0318.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ryanburdios/IMG_0320.jpg

beats buying the whole door panel and paying alot

Princess
07-07-2008, 02:14 AM
How about just using some fabric dye and dying that fabric dark black. I guess with the dye it would be hard to get it even.

PRODIUS
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
That looks GREAT rburdios!

Did you peel off the original material or just stick this on top with 3m adhesive?

rburdios
07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
How about just using some fabric dye and dying that fabric dark black. I guess with the dye it would be hard to get it even.

you can buy black recaro inserts which i might do when i get tired of these, theyre easier to maintain

Did you peel off the original material or just stick this on top with 3m adhesive?

i just put 3m all purpose adhesive and sprayed it on both the original fabric and door insert. the door insert has a pretty thick foam backing. i got the fabric pasted down. not really push it down, but lay it down gliding my hands across so that the glue doesnt seep through. then i just rolled the ends with a pizza cutter and a small chissel for the corners. it keeps itself in :loco:

dashehonda
07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

I wouldnt peel it off, cause if you ever get sick of it or want it back stock you can remove the glue thats stuck and it will be back to the way honda intended. If i had a chance to go back and not do it, i would. Its a pain, and its mostly permanent if you end up screwing up somewhere

rburdios
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
troof with what dashe said. but mine turned out ok. i like em. but im thinking of some black ones soon

minivan_assassin
07-07-2008, 10:53 PM
rburdios, that looks awesome. Is that material from the guy on clubep3 or did you source it yourself. I'm definately doing this.

Strife
07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Hmm, given all the people saying that they wish they didn't do it, I don't think I will.

rburdios
07-08-2008, 05:39 AM
rburdios, that looks awesome. Is that material from the guy on clubep3 or did you source it yourself. I'm definately doing this.

the guy on clubep3 should be the same guy from clubrsx where i bought it from. its easier to hit him up on aim btw

Hmm, given all the people saying that they wish they didn't do it, I don't think I will.

for me, it aint too much of not wanting to do it again. rather, not wanting to do it again without knowing what im doing. if anything, id love to do it again on another set of panels since i know how to go about it

rwest44
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
lets say i tried this and did mess up...would i be able to rip off the inserts i messed up and try again with another set?

Chazwick05
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
my red door inserts were delivered today! yay!